Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2017, 18:56   #1

Boat: Ranger 26
Victoria to Alaska

New to the board... thought I'd introduce myself.

I am born and raised On Vancouver Island. I have raced out of the RVYC on occasion mostly on larger boats, Cal20, Olsens, Expresses, etc. I grew up doing a few cruises on a C & C 32 but no more than for a week at a time. I have been a fishing guide for the last 5 years between sooke- Tofino- and Haida Gwaii.

What I am looking for is some insight into taking a boat from Victoria to Alaska over 5 months in the summer of 2019. I will be graduating university this spring and preparing for LSATs in the fall of 2018. I would like to work on a sailboat and get it in SHIP shape while I wait for the results.

I should have roughly 35K saved up to purchase a boat next fall. As well, I will have access to a ship yard that I can do work at. With this in mind I am looking for recommendations for a solid boat, or type of boat that can do the journey within the price range.

Better yet, instead of the exact boat. I would be interested in finding out what features I should be looking for. I won't be sticking to only protected waters.

Sorry for errors, writing this on my phone.
Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 09:17   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Victoria to Alaska

We sailed a light fin keel for many years in Alaska and finally decided to upgrade to a heavy full keel cruiser. Winds on the west coast tend to be all or none as I’m sure you’re aware and being able to travel comfortably in 40knt plus winds is more valuable to us than light wind sailing. Winds on the inside come north or south so you’re going with it when it’s blowing or you’re waiting. Reliable well maintained engine is also key. Heading offshore can be advantageous but plan on being stuck offshore as even with a small system outside it can make re-entering inside waters tricky on narrow entrances with an opposing ebb current. Most tend to motor north on inside waters then catch the north wind south outside in August or September. You can still do it later but chances of winter storms increases.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 09:51   #3

Boat: Hunter 386

Well this isn't exactly helpful, but you can do it in almost anything. Check out the annual Race to Alaska Some truly crazy boats...

If this really is a one-off adventure though I think any seaworthy boat will be good enough. You have enough time to watch your weather windows and not take any risks. A windlass, lots of rode, a good bimini or even a full enclosure will make it more comfortable once you get north of the Strait of Georgia.

Sounds like a grand plan: enjoy!
Old 19-11-2017, 10:28   #4
rbk

I’ll give some more info when I’m back in my office. A lacerated thumb and typing on a phone isn’t working so well.
Old 19-11-2017, 12:30   #5

Boat: Ranger 26

Thank you for the replies,

rbk - I will await further information, everything is greatly appreciated. I am definitely leaning toward a full keel boat; however, I did skipper a Beneteau 50 for a few days 3 years ago which was amazing. If only I had half a million dollars coming out of university...

Macblaze - This will start out as a one-off adventure, but the boat I end up with should have the capabilities of a live-aboard if I find myself continuing my studies in town.

Thank you
Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 12:51   #6
rbk

Another thought to extend your Ak cruising is to purchase a boat in Ak (there’s always a Gulf or Rawson pilothouse for sale somewhere in ask and they make very stout pnw cruisers and hold their value, I think there were 2 for sale still in Sitka and one in Wragell. That being said boats for sale in Ak tend to be priced a little higher but deals can be found but will require more investigating than a simple yachtworld search. Call some brokers, call some harbor masters as someone usually knows someone thinking about selling. Come to think of it there is one for sale on the hard in Skagway. Met the owner a few times, newer kubota, looks well maintained from what I’ve seen.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/whi...ationFlag=true

Best part with the above is it is a Canadian boat so duties paid and you can defer the HST until you go back to BC and possibly indefinitely if you apply for vessel in transit if you plan on passing through BC on your way south, just saying.
Old 19-11-2017, 13:43   #7

Boat: Gulf 32

Gulf 32 could be the ticket... but then again, I'm biased.

-- Bass
Old 19-11-2017, 16:29   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It sounds like a fun plan, Youngblood, and welcome aboard.

How small would you consider? With $35,000 saved up, you need to save a lot of that for fixing up, as the boat will necessarily be older, and there will be costs attached to fixing it up and making it ship shape.

Ann
Old 19-11-2017, 16:58   #9

Boat: Hullmaster 27

That's exactly what I did last year ... except you have twice the boat budget, and ten times the sea-going experience that I had ... so it looks like you're already ahead of the game.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska