Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2016, 12:19   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: WA State New Guy...

Quote:
. 6. Dream about boat diagrams and components. Wake up in a cold sweat and the realization I need to learn to sail. Start reading manuals, learning about basic boat design and operation, subscribe to sailing mags, lurk on forums, and taking free online 'courses'.
Nah, don't worry about learning how to sail, that is fairly easy.
Boating in general needs learning but that can be done on your own with friends and studying up on books: Rules of the Road, basic Seaman ship, etc.
Plenty of printed or online lessons.

(Get a chart, learn how to read a chart, find reefs and shallows, stay away from reefs and shallows)

As for boat handling in tight quarters: It takes experience to be good at it.
The basic rule is: Slow is cheap.. If you are going to hit something, do it at slow speed.
Wind and current is your biggest enemy initially, try to mentally always calculate how it will affect you in close quarters, anticipate how you could be blown sideways and being caught in currents.
Then practice, practice and practice.

Been there, done that.
Never owned a boat in my life, never sailed a day in my life, then I bought a 44' Bermuda Yawl in the Virgin Islands, moved aboard and learned how to boat and how to sail.
Steep learning curve, but every day was exciting.
Old 26-04-2016, 17:00   #17

Boat: 1967 Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Boating in general needs learning but that can be done on your own with friends and studying up on books: Rules of the Road, basic Seaman ship, etc.

(Get a chart, learn how to read a chart, find reefs and shallows, stay away from reefs and shallows)

The basic rule is: Slow is cheap.. If you are going to hit something, do it at slow speed.
Wind and current is your biggest enemy initially, try to mentally always calculate how it will affect you in close quarters, anticipate how you could be blown sideways and being caught in currents.

Been there, done that.
Never owned a boat in my life, never sailed a day in my life, then I bought a 44' Bermuda Yawl in the Virgin Islands, moved aboard and learned how to boat and how to sail.
Much obliged for the advice!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
h011yw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 09:29   #18

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post

Been there, done that.
I would agree with CSY Man but would add you do need to learn how to deal with your engine and how to anchor, may be not perfect but enough. You absolutely need to learn how to restart your motor if it dies (clogged filter, run out of fuel, etc.). Not too hard to learn but it's good to know. Stuff like that always happens at the worst time. Docking scared the p**s out of me for many times but never ran into anyone and your knees will stop knocking after a bit. Seems to be directly proportional to the size of the boat. And can be hard on relationships....

I had to learn how to sail as I went. You can too. Go do it and have fun.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote