Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 12:42   #1

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Wanting a new cruiser in Washington

Hi all. My wife and I bought Maggie Drum, our Whitby 42 CC, in 1999. No real sailing experience and no experience working on boats, large or small. I took a job as a newbie (at age 50) at a local full service boatyard as a marine electrician and general tech. Took possession of our boat from the Canadian owner (who took her to the South Pacific for many years before coming back to BC), and bare-knuckled it to our slip in Anacortes.

We took everything in bite sized chunks to get used to sailing and general boat handling. I learned a ton about boats over 5 years in the boatyard. We refitted MD over that time, including 11 months on the hard in the yard. New wiring, new plumbing, new Andersen winches, new sails, new electronics, bottom job, yada yada yada. All except the external cosmetics. She was pretty well equipped anyway - just a lot of well-used and older equipment and gear. Learned to love boating and the boating community in some of the best coastal and inshore areas in the world - except for rain and cool weather all the time.

Finally took her south to Mexico and started real cruising. Wow - we loved it. Most of all the community but also exploring new places and even the passages. Took the big plunge towards French Polynesia and then to NZ and back from the other Pacific Islands. Reluctantly sold her and moved back to Anacortes.

Now we have the bug again and are looking for a new offshore-capable boat - 37-42 (may be a good 44) range. We don't have a lot of money so that means classic plastic, hopefully already sorted out and equipped by someone who has had to change his/her offshore plans and now selling the boat. Just missed a good boat in Mexico (Tayana 42) but will keep on looking.

Just like most of you, I won't let a modest bit of experience get in the way of my opinions, although I hope I will be politer then some of the posts I have read. I will thank in advance for any and all advice. The Forum is excellent and we are happy to be getting wet again.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 16:57   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Wanting a new cruiser in Washington

Welcome aboard, exMD...

We remember meeting MD somewhere in the SP years ago, and are glad that you and she continued onward.

Good luck in finding your new ride. With your experience it shouldn't be too hard to sort out the many choices currently available. We sometimes encounter cruisers who are packing it in, and will notify you if their vessels seem at all appropriate.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-03-2014, 22:32   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum. Mexico does have some great bargains. Especially up in the sea. Good luck on your search.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 08:40   #4

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Hi Jim & Martin,

Thanks for the welcome. I knew this would be a welcoming place.

Jim - we probably did meet, or hang the hook together, somewhere in the SP. I will look for your boat card to see if I have it - or ever had it - it's a big stack. Like you all, we met some wonderful people out and about. Cindy says she remembers Insatiable but not your name. She's my memory bank. You are Jim Insatiable now.

Martin - I think the Tayana in La Paz we should have jumped on is gone to some new worthy sailors. There is a Kelly Peterson 44 that looks good but too much for us to pay. Funny how it is so easy to start jumping up in 2' increments from what you planned to get. We originally wanted a 37' in 1999 but ended up buying the first boat we saw - a 42. It was a gut/heart thing. Worked out all right although she was not the fastest or highest pointing girl out there. Her cockpit was made for parties - 13 one time. The margaritas made everyone so friendly they didn't mind squeezing - in in La Paz.

We will also look for a good boat up here and putz around the Pacific Northwest before heading south again. We always wanted to get up to Alaska. Just depends on where we fall in love with another boat.

Hope to see you both some time, some where.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 10:34   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Hi Jim & Martin,

Thanks for the welcome. I knew this would be a welcoming place.

Jim - we probably did meet, or hang the hook together, somewhere in the SP. I will look for your boat card to see if I have it - or ever had it - it's a big stack. Like you all, we met some wonderful people out and about. Cindy says she remembers Insatiable but not your name. She's my memory bank. You are Jim Insatiable now.

Martin - I think the Tayana in La Paz we should have jumped on is gone to some new worthy sailors. There is a Kelly Peterson 44 that looks good but too much for us to pay. Funny how it is so easy to start jumping up in 2' increments from what you planned to get. We originally wanted a 37' in 1999 but ended up buying the first boat we saw - a 42. It was a gut/heart thing. Worked out all right although she was not the fastest or highest pointing girl out there. Her cockpit was made for parties - 13 one time. The margaritas made everyone so friendly they didn't mind squeezing - in in La Paz.

We will also look for a good boat up here and putz around the Pacific Northwest before heading south again. We always wanted to get up to Alaska. Just depends on where we fall in love with another boat.

Hope to see you both some time, some where.
If you're into a lot of work, there is a Fuji 45 in need of an engine. I am told by a Fuji owner/shipwright(self exclaimed) that the Fuji in question had some nice work done to it prior to the engine failing. The brokerage is asking $35K and has been for sale a long time.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 13:12   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!

Good to have you here.

I was kind of intrigued by an ad on craigslist for a Acapulco 40 (Challenger) that had been set up for cruising by the owner but he fell ill and his family is selling. The boat's name is Blue Moorea and is in Oak Harbor, WA. Advertised for $25K I believe. Might be advertised in Yacht World too. The craigslist has expired I believe.

Just a thought!

kind regards,

Tags
cruise, cruiser, washing, Washington