Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2024, 09:22   #1

Boat: Under decision
Waves and winds, bucket list item

Dear friends,
I have been lurking and learning on this wonderful forum for a long time, now coming out of the shade to say hello with intentions to learn further and contribute to the best of my ability. I am new to real sailing, I admit, but I am not new to life, so suffer me as you were suffered by others when you were in the dreaming stage.
All the best!
7th wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 13:57   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Waves and winds, bucket list item

Welcome aboard CF, 7th wave,

Maybe you could tell us what boats you're considering. Most of us like to talk about them, and ours, for that matter.

Ann
Old 06-08-2024, 22:00   #3

Hi Ann,
Hmmm, multi-pronged question, what boat?
I don't have formed my firm desires nor needs yet but simple and rugged in 34' - 38' range, sloop or fractional sloop with bulb keel and single rudder is presketched on my canvas.
Rigged for single hand is my destiny.
I am considering aluminum or steel hull rather than FRP for my own reasons, also minimal or no ornamental wood. I can handle nearly all aspects of boat maintenance and upgrades on my own.
Something as Van De Stadt Helena appeals to me alot.
I know one should start on smaller craft, however I am willing to endure steeper learning curve while missing on the benefits of the smaller craft learning.
I am traditionalist and like to do things the old fashion way, so the latest gadgets are not on top of my list.
I expect to do mostly coastal sailing with occasional extended cruise or oceanic crossing to change scenery within warmer climates, no permanent home port. The craft will become my residence. I may equip the boat with diving setup.
The bricks of what I know about sailing, I indiscriminately learned mostly here on this forum, and mortar to put it together comes from my life long experience.
I appreciate constructive and even critical inputs
7th wave
Old 07-08-2024, 15:03   #4

Our boat before this one was a grp 36 foot retired race boat, circa 1974. One of the earlier things Jim did to her was to switch the location of the primaries and secondaries. This allowed the helmsman to steer and tack. The cockpit was originally designed for separation between them, so the grinders would have space to work.

Making a boat easy to singlehand of course is a benefit if one is doublehanded at a later time. Couple cruising is sequential singlehanding. Some singlehanders take on crew for ocean passages, because of having the extra pair of eyes on watch, especially for approaching landfall.

Other priorities include an autopilot, roller furling is nice to have, also. The simpler and more mechanical vs. electrical you keep things, the easier it will all be to maintain. Depending on the boat, you might find a wind vane for silent, no power draw course maintenance.

We considered aluminum for our next boat. The survey can be tricky, as dust and salt from the air tends to accumulate and cause pitting in the plates of ally, where it is hidden and hard to get at. We also looked at some steel boats, one had been fabricated by a boilermaker, and was beautifully done, but I couldn't handle the concept of having to undo all 36 bolts on 4" centers you had to undo to get in to the engine compartment... We did notice steel boat owners become quite knowledgeable about paint systems, because rust never sleeps. One sees some funny things.

All boats wind up being compromises; good luck with your choices.

Ann
Old 08-08-2024, 06:58   #5

Ann,
The engine access on the steel boat you mentioned is likely because inadequate engineering.
Aluminum might be superior in my view although it was discussed here many times. Of course maintenance and proper use might mitigate problems but never completly.
With aluminum structures I am concerned about noise as aluminum. besides electrical current, it conducts sounds and vibrations well.
Any thoughts on that.
In single hand scenario, what concerns me the most is sleep patterns vs. watch alertness during multi day/night passages. In some instances safety can be automated but not in case of cruising, because so many variables at play.
Yes, the wind vane and the autopilot would be almost mandatory. I haven't mentioned that I have a german shepherd, this highly alert dog can be easily trained to keep his eye on the horizon and the boat proximities, he has amazing sense to detect storm early. I know, I know.
7th wave
Old 08-08-2024, 15:58   #6

We've friends with alloy boats. None are particularly noisy. One is a Risely 45; the other a VIA 36.

I understand you want to keep your dog with you. Good luck to the both of you.

Ann
Old 17-08-2024, 21:32   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind