Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2024, 05:18   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: welp. i’m back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Thanks! good to hear from you!

based on my experience, i’d say insulation is probably required with a solid fiberglass hull.

Through the whole winter so far, my 1” thick R7 core transmitted no appreciable cold feeling inside the boat. you could reach out and touch the hull with your hand both in the bilge when the water was ice outside, as well as on the top side and deck where it was air contact. The most you could feel was a slight coolness. And I mean slight. Otherwise it all stayed at room temperature. Absolutely no condensation on this boat all winter. Not even a little. Not a drop.

one very odd thing when it comes to condensation that I noticed is my clothing itself would get a little musty. that’s the only place for any type of mold would attempt to grow. i am taking about the “house clothing” you wear for days on end inside the boat.

it’s going to be quite an adjustment temperature wise to go from that tropical weather to Alaska. But it will be so refreshing. and at least you can control it. heaters are quiet and take little power. thermal underwear with the waffle pattern is awesome. you can always add another layer to remain comfortable in any conditions

running a takakat on thin ice, i would expect it to jump on top too, with the outboard leg breaking the ice. may not even need the chaps. when the ice gets too thin to stay on top, you may need the chaps or to take it very slowly. when it’s too thick, you’re stuck. that part never happened to me yet. definitely work something out for your davits.

you’ll also need 8 kW of diesel heaters. one for each hull and one for the salon. even then, it takes a couple hours to come from a completely cold boat to something you can relax in.
So we are in the Bahamas with temperatures far from freezing but an observation nonetheless: we have 1” balsa core which is a great insulator and nothing feels cold ever…. except the keel stepped masts, one of which is right next to the bed and is sure to make you yodel if you touch it even slightly

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 05:37   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome back, Chotu. I really like your re-introductory post.
Old 08-02-2024, 05:50   #33

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So we are in the Bahamas with temperatures far from freezing but an observation nonetheless: we have 1” balsa core which is a great insulator and nothing feels cold ever…. except the keel stepped masts, one of which is right next to the bed and is sure to make you yodel if you touch it even slightly
ha ha ha

i have some 1” balsa sections too. i placed it on deck where i knew i’d have undetermined hardware to through bolt. Balsa has an amazing resistance to being crushed so i used it in those areas for this reason. No need to de-core large areas.

i can confirm it was basically the same as the R7 foam.

i have some 1” balsa right over the staterooms. the underside of the deck in them wasn’t much more cool to the touch than the foam topsides, bilge and deck areas
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 07:56   #34

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mosquitos.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	286131  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 18:15   #35

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Welcome back.Glad to hear good health news./ Len
Old 09-02-2024, 09:24   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Welcome back.Glad to hear good health news./ Len
thanks Len.

[REDACTED]
Old 09-02-2024, 11:15   #37

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Glad you're back.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 09:21   #38

and just like that, i’m gone. this community has a few cancerous tumors in it that make it not worth my time anymore. it was nice interacting with many of you and working on projects together. i’ll surely miss a great number of you. Wish i you the best.

you will most likely find me on youtube or SA in the future. Keep an eye out. i’ll bring all of the same content there and encourage participation and brain storming while doing various boat things. like my threads here, except a different platform can now make the money from it. Staring with doing bottom paint while beached (like Franziska did but didn’t get attacked for, and like thousands of people do every year). your loss, forum management

fair winds
Old 10-02-2024, 09:43   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
and just like that, i’m gone. this community has a few cancerous tumors in it that make it not worth my time anymore. it was nice interacting with many of you and working on projects together. i’ll surely miss a great number of you. Wish i you the best.

you will most likely find me on youtube or SA in the future. Keep an eye out. i’ll bring all of the same content there and encourage participation and brain storming while doing various boat things. like my threads here, except a different platform can now make the money from it. Staring with doing bottom paint while beached (like Franziska did but didn’t get attacked for, and like thousands of people do every year). your loss, forum management

fair winds
See you on SA

Old 10-02-2024, 10:08   #40

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:

fair winds
I understand you frustration. But why let it bother you so? That is definitely in your control. Screw them. Pay no attention to them. You will always have people like that on whatever public platform you choose.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 10:26   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
I understand you frustration. But why let it bother you so? That is definitely in your control. Screw them. Pay no attention to them. You will always have people like that on whatever public platform you choose.
It’s about censorship based on perceived higher moral ground, see the relevant thread. This is the pest of these days, where opinion of those who consider themselves “better” dictate others regardless of rules, laws etc.

Old 10-02-2024, 11:29   #42
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
It’s about censorship based on perceived higher moral ground, see the relevant thread. This is the pest of these days, where opinion of those who consider themselves “better” dictate others regardless of rules, laws etc.
will see if that gets you into as much trouble as me
Old 10-02-2024, 11:40   #43

Boat: X442

Quote:
Bravo. The curse of our 'modern' society.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 12:00   #44

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

This poster has:

-continually degraded many who tried to help or offer a contrary opinion on this forum, at times calling them mentally ill.

-did or said something to his boat designer that led to him cutting off all communications.

-started numerous threads that ended up being shut down by moderators.

-had countless problems with marine professionals (riggers, boatyards, etc.) in the real world. An endless stream of complaints….

-tried Facebook. Didn’t work, too many issues and “stupid” people there…..

Anyone notice a pattern here?

Goodbye! Have fun on SA! (You can freely use the “F” word there and also degrade others all you want without fear of moderation!!!!!). And there are a lot of very confrontational and rude posters there, so maybe that will work out…

Goodbye!!! Farewell!!!!
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 12:15   #45

Boat: X442

I kind of like(d) Chotu's posts, real-life joy and misery. Sure a bit confrontational at times but that is also part and parcel of healthy discourse. Without healthy discourse, we're left with conversations compliant with the needs of Big XXX (fill in any industry that takes your fancy) and the climate brigade...
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote