Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2024, 19:55   #46

Re: welp. i’m back

Wow. This escalated quickly.

Situations like this remind me to be glad that I really don't care about what a random person on the internet says. I mean ... this is the internet. Everyone should know by now that this is the place for people to say things that they [probably] wouldn't say to your face. It's day one stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I've met plenty of good and honest people on the internet. But they're not the majority. Not by a long shot. So what do you do about it? As others have said: ignore the idiots.

You don't have to respond. And not responding doesn't mean you somehow "lose" or forfeit some arbitrary "internet cred". This isn't middle school.

SMH.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 21:09   #47

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
I kind of like(d) Chotu's posts, real-life joy and misery. Sure a bit confrontational at times but that is also part and parcel of healthy discourse. Without healthy discourse, we're left with conversations compliant with the needs of Big XXX (fill in any industry that takes your fancy) and the climate brigade...

Me to, without the bits of gritty comment by folks like Chotu these things tend toward total banality.

And Jedi is correct on his use of the term "censorship".
Old 11-02-2024, 03:29   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Fun Nutrition Fact:
If you drink a gallon of water, an hour ...
You won’t have time for other people’s bull****; because, you’ll be too busy, peeing.
Stay hydrated, my friends!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 03:41   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So we are in the Bahamas with temperatures far from freezing but an observation nonetheless: we have 1” balsa core which is a great insulator and nothing feels cold ever…. except the keel stepped masts, one of which is right next to the bed and is sure to make you yodel if you touch it even slightly
Bit of thread drift, but cored hulls make an ENORMOUS difference in cold weather.

Previous boat was solid glass and no insulation -- anything below 10C would be condensation city -- miserable.

Current boat is fully cored and also no part of the inner hull is exposed in the accommodation volume -- no condensation even at -10C, and a bit of heat keeps it toasty.

I would never buy another plastic boat with uncored hull.

Back on topic - a warm welcome back to Chotu, and keep the tales from the frozen North coming! I keep my boat below the icy sea latitude in the winter, but just barely! North is great!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 06:14   #50

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
and just like that, i’m gone. this community has a few cancerous tumors in it that make it not worth my time anymore. it was nice interacting with many of you and working on projects together. i’ll surely miss a great number of you. Wish i you the best.

you will most likely find me on youtube or SA in the future. Keep an eye out. i’ll bring all of the same content there and encourage participation and brain storming while doing various boat things. like my threads here, except a different platform can now make the money from it. Staring with doing bottom paint while beached (like Franziska did but didn’t get attacked for, and like thousands of people do every year). your loss, forum management

fair winds
Hmm- that seems odd- were a lot of posts deleted? PMs possibly sent?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 08:15   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
and just like that, i’m gone. this community has a few cancerous tumors in it that make it not worth my time anymore.

you will most likely find me on youtube or SA in the future.
Yes I can certainly see you being able to handle SA
Old 11-02-2024, 09:22   #52

Boat: Lagoon 380

SA where the biggest a holes are the moderators and not because they are moderating…. I have seen them rip someone apart for a dumb question. But hey it is anarchy.
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 10:17   #53

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Putting personalities aside let's look what happened. Thread drift was the beginning. Chotu asked a legitimate question and was looking for legitimate brainstorming ideas to his question. This question by the way I too have been wondering about. I pulled my cat out and the yard gave me a ridiculous quote because it's a cat. Nope. I'm 35' long,15' wide, fit in a standard slip. We "discussed" this and they finally relented. I too would like to avoid paying yard prices especially as they move up.

The discussion was going fine until someone said no you can't do that it is against the law and got abusive about it without any proof. Just their opinion. Thread drift. Not relevant to the conversation. And the fight began. Up until then it was very interesting and I am sorry to see it go away.

It could have been handled so much better but it wasn't. The instigator of the fight could have started out with a question, would that be legal? If he was that concerned he could have contacted the authorities 1st and found out the answer to his concern and then acted appropriately but he didn't. Chotu could have ignored his comments all together but he didn't.

The moderators could have stepped in if they were that concerned and deleted the bs part of the conversation all together or moved it to a different thread. They didn't.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 10:18   #54
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
SA where the biggest a holes are the moderators and not because they are moderating…. I have seen them rip someone apart for a dumb question. But hey it is anarchy.
But no censorship. Say you like CQR anchors but members and mods on a forum decide that this is so backwards and dumb that they not just attack you, like what would happen anywhere, but also silence you so you can’t say you like the CQR anymore, while allowing the others to keep whacking you. That my friend is worse than anarchy.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 11:48   #55

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
But no censorship. Say you like CQR anchors but members and mods on a forum decide that this is so backwards and dumb that they not just attack you, like what would happen anywhere, but also silence you so you can’t say you like the CQR anymore, while allowing the others to keep whacking you. That my friend is worse than anarchy.
That may be true, but over on SA he will need his big boy pants on since he won’t be able to cry for help when he is attacked. Everything I have read he doesn’t handle people disagreeing with him well.

Cheyne
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 11:58   #56

Boat: Bristol 27

It's mostly racing and race talk over on SA.

Quite different than here on CF.

If you race, you'll enjoy SA.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 12:41   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

As he emigrates to SA, there's something Chotu should know:
As anarchists grow older ...
They go from having anti-state issues, to having prostate issues.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 12:49   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
That may be true, but over on SA he will need his big boy pants on since he won’t be able to cry for help when he is attacked. Everything I have read he doesn’t handle people disagreeing with him well.

Cheyne
Not sure if he’s been crying for help, it’s more like that he started raging… which is just fine in SA lol

Old 11-02-2024, 12:53   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It's mostly racing and race talk over on SA.

Quite different than here on CF.

If you race, you'll enjoy SA.
There’s the fix-it and gear anarchy fora and real good Dyneema threads too.

At least you don’t get strikes for regularly used abbreviations that mean something that you’re not allowed to write.

Old 11-02-2024, 15:26   #60

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Not sure if he’s been crying for help, it’s more like that he started raging… which is just fine in SA lol
I think many CF members are on SA... Many.

Anyways, the best forums have subs dedicated to well-moderated specific niches. A sailing forum with a Catalina sub, run and moderated by Catalina owners/experts, will usually be more professional than a general sailing forum.

Finding 100% strangers to agree with your views on a general internet forum is like herding cats.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote