Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2024, 06:40   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
welp. i’m back

I guess I’m back. I had some issues with moderation and I was going to leave permanently. However my brain hurts really bad from Facebook. The people there were incredibly stupid. Could not have even a simple discussion about boats because the knowledge level is next to zero.

was about to bring my story to sailing anarchy, but the signup button was broken the day i did and never signed up once they let me know it was fixed. just didn’t feel like it.

so I took a break from sailing social media. went snowboarding, out with people, had a real life social life instead. it was a nice change of pace.

i won’t be participating as much on here in the near future because of all that real life stuff going on. BUT… it’s time to start the running rigging pretty soon so i’ll revive that thread to go through the project on here.

i’ll be much less involved in things like debating batteries and heads. a lot more focused.

Updates:

winter went pretty well. 3 vevor heaters did the trick down to 10F.

got a leak in my RIB from bashing through ice. have to trace that down and patch it up once warmer weather comes. the kilz paint patch on the leak i did 9 months ago still holding

using ethanol gasoline straight out of the gas station pump is just fine. ran all winter on it.

the manufacturer additives in the (20% bio) diesel i ran in the diesel heaters all winter (from the gas station) worked fine with no hint of gelling

one thing to watch out for wintering at anchor: ropes freeze solid. my davits were very difficult to use below 15F. cleats too, at dinghy docks.

something interesting about taking your dinghy through frozen water. At first I was doing it slowly using the V of the hull to break the ice. I think that’s how I got a leak in one of my tubes. it was getting a little frustrating doing that so I opened it up one time. It works much better to put the boat on top of the ice and let the outboard leg rip through the ice. This I learned.

so I’ll be back on here doing the running rigging thread. May also ask a little bit about doing some things independently from marinas. They are still causing issues. They are not at all easy to work with and I need to cut them out of the picture.

hope everyone is having a good winter. That’s the status update on this end
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 06:46   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: welp. i’m back

It's good to hear some updates. And despite any controversy and drama, you're currently out there dealing with situations many on here haven't, so that information about dealing with ice, etc. is potentially useful and likely new information to the forum. Certainly much more interesting than my boat sitting in the storage shed for another 2 months until spring launch, so I only get to work on it and not use it for now.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 06:52   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

My gosh Chotu I thought you were frozen

Facebook is even worse because of the staggering ignorance there… at least here they have a clue. But my content is moving elsewhere I just need to figure out if I’m going back to my blog or post PDF’s or what

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 07:21   #4

Great hearing from both of you. I was wondering if Jedi thought I froze. ha ha.

hope the work is going well in Rochester. Getting anything interesting done on the boat? Or just routine stuff?

I think PDFs or blogs would be really good for your type of content, Jedi. Often, it’s well researched and tested reference material that can get lost in the forum. A central repository would make a lot of sense.

i’m even pondering doing some YouTube. I finally broke down and got a real Internet connection. Would you believe it?
Old 07-02-2024, 07:28   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Welcome back!

The “errors” that mean you’re doing it right
Some things appear to be mistakes, but in fact should be celebrated as the expected outcomes of great decisions.
“If you don’t make mistakes, you’re not working on hard enough problems.”
~ Frank Wilczek, 2004 winner of Nobel, for Physics
More ➥ https://longform.asmartbear.com/good...iscover_travel

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 07:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
hope the work is going well in Rochester. Getting anything interesting done on the boat? Or just routine stuff?
No big projects this year, just some re-plumbing on the fuel systems, adding fuel flow sensors, and a bunch of general maintenance items. All the stuff that's nice to get done now so I don't have to do it once the weather gets nice.
Old 07-02-2024, 08:53   #7

Chotu, glad to hear from you. So you have taken a break from hibernation.

Hope your health issues are resolving.

Enjoy your winter aboard your igloo, erhhh, boat. I suspect many of the refit tasks are awaiting moderation of the seasonal coolness and snow.

Take care.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 10:45   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

What on earth possessed you to spend a winter on your boat in the ice and cold ??
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 10:58   #9

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I'm glad you didn't freeze.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 11:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
What on earth possessed you to spend a winter on your boat in the ice and cold ??
i’ll answer creatively with pictures

first pic - saved months of my life wasting time commuting to/from florida at 6 knots

second pic - no running rigging so slow slow trip. not going to waste time with no sails motoring

rest of pics - i had way more fun here than i could have doing nothing but boat work in florida

lastly - it was AWESOME. i loved it! only person in the entire anchorage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	714B5598-7AD8-4D04-8E2E-2F974228B03E.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	286103   Click image for larger version

Name:	9AE3C64C-E266-4E67-8F18-EA5C9CC9A0DE.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	286104  

Click image for larger version

Name:	9E2AF4CD-CC1E-4D8F-89BB-0DCEBBD88885.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	286105   Click image for larger version

Name:	462C4F94-DBF3-427A-9819-F683F7BF13A7.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	286107  

Old 07-02-2024, 11:24   #11

thanks gord and chuck!! Nice to hear from you both as well
Old 07-02-2024, 11:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Chotu, glad to hear from you. So you have taken a break from hibernation.

Hope your health issues are resolving.

Enjoy your winter aboard your igloo, erhhh, boat. I suspect many of the refit tasks are awaiting moderation of the seasonal coolness and snow.

Take care.
Health issues appear to be gone. Thank God. I’m keeping up with 20 and 30-year-olds on the mountain so that’s pretty good evidence of everything being healed.

a trip to the cardiologist this month for an echo to see if i got everything working again. it’s certainly working well enough to not worry about it but checking to see if i’m back to 100%.

definitely waiting on the weather for refit stuff. I could have been doing the interior but I was trying to have a social life
Old 07-02-2024, 11:51   #13

Quote:
Health issues appear to be gone. Thank God. I’m keeping up with 20 and 30-year-olds on the mountain so that’s pretty good evidence of everything being healed.

a trip to the cardiologist this month for an echo to see if i got everything working again. it’s certainly working well enough to not worry about it but checking to see if i’m back to 100%.
That's some seriously good news! Now it's just a matter of being able to avoid any future damage or problems.
Old 07-02-2024, 11:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
That's some seriously good news! Now it's just a matter of being able to avoid any future damage or problems.
definitely. I may have learned my lesson there. ha ha ha.

have to always think ahead to air quality and exposure to things.

also, no clogging arteries up. i have a foreign object in there now so i’ve got to be especially careful to keep it clean.

kind of got a second chance at life it feels like. Definitely don’t want to screw it up or waste it.
Old 07-02-2024, 12:51   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:

definitely waiting on the weather for refit stuff. I could have been doing the interior but I was trying to have a social life
Congratulations, sounds that you had a good winter so far, and the health news is super.

Ann