Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2008, 10:26   #1

Boat: looking
what kind of cat?

Hi. I'm not entirely new here but haven't posted in a long time.

I wonder if anyone can suggest a catamaran for coastal cruising and liveaboard. We have 6 kids, half of them under 10 years (!) and have dreamed for years of selling the business and living on a boat, at least for awhile. My main concerns are safety and privacy for teenage girls. My husband is all about comfort. We aren't sailing purists and have no desire for extreme asceticism. We just want to live together on a boat, be more self-reliant and sail around together for awhile - maybe longer. We currently live in a big house but laugh about the fact that no matter how much space we have, all the kids end up in the same room with us. We're a very close family. That being said, I have no desire to be couped up in a miniscule space all the time with 6 children! (With Capt Bob, my father-in-law, there will be 9 of us aboard full-time. And a dog.)

Not to say that it will be, but - if money weren't an issue, what do you veteran liveaboards think? My husband has some ideas...something about a 65' Yapluka....We definitely know we want a cat. I'm all ears!

Thanks for your suggestions!
Catherine
merrymailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 14:38   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The variety is huge, and budget will factor in. Depends if you want all the latest, and newest, or don't mind doing a little bit of sophisticated camping on a boat with some tlc & miles under her keels. BEST WISHES in finding the right boat to serve you well......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 16:12   #3

Thanks! We don't need all the latest and greatest, just sufficient space and storage - especially for food....eating out with 9 people gets costly quickly!
Old 18-11-2008, 18:26   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I have lived comfortably on board Exit Only (Privilege 39) with four people long term during our circumnavigation. Based on my experience, I would recommend that you get a HUMONGOUS cat if you are going to have 9 people permanently on board. You need separation of accomodations and privacy, and with that many people it needs to be big.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 06:28   #5

Dave,

My husband now has a new friend! I keep trying to convince him we can do this on a 50' boat. He says no. We're planning to begin road trips to boat shows this year. We've sailed together as a family on several boats, both monohull and cats. Since none of them were fitted for living aboard it's really hard to say, but 47' was too cramped for more than a vacation. I still think we can get some custom stuff done to open up floor space and comfortably live on 50-55', but...Any suggestions on which shows to go to for HUMONGOUS cats? Thanks!

Best,
Catherine
Old 19-11-2008, 06:37   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Maybe you should think custom? This way you can have plans altered some & make things the way you see it. Imagine is cold molded, and was designed for 2 people with occassional guest. We are the second owners. We love our layout, because we are only 2 with occassional guest. This give me a real workshop, and more storage than we can ever use. Look into plans, and builders. There are experienced, and inexpensive builder all over the world. If I was ever going to have another cat built I would go to Asia, and over see the work.......BEST WISHES in wading through the process.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 11:29   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Catherine,
Welcome aboard and happy hunting. Sorry I can't help in your decision making. I'm a monohull, smaller the better kind of guy.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote