Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 13:07   #1

Boat: Crealock 37
Where to start?

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but have been sailing for my whole life. My wife and I are in the process of selling our home so that we can purchase a boat and take our children around the world. We, understandably, are constantly seeking advice from other more experienced 'cruisers'. This looks like a great place for that!

Though I have thousands of questions, I'll start with a (hopefully) simple one:

I have never left the country and would like to know what the procedure is? The in and outs, particulars, etc. I have looked at the passport application, and it asks for destination - how do we handle this for multiple destinations? When do we need visa's? I've seen that there are some current issues with Australia customs - does anyone know of any other tricky areas?

...ok, so maybee it wasn't a simple question... thanks for your time

Ed
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 13:25   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Hi, Ed, and welcome.

RE: Passports and procedures. It is not hard. Go ahead and fill out the application. Don't worry about putting in a destination, or just put in an easy one, like Canada or Mexico. There are some significant delays at some of the processing stations (as they've said in the news), so it is good idea to go ahead and get them, before you "have" to have them.

Visas are needed for some countries, but not others. www.noonsite.com has a section called "countries" that can give you a good rundown on the procedures for different places. Lots of other good info, too.

Some of our Aussie friends here (use the search function and it will pull up the threads) have given fair warning and good advice about their regs. It actually doesn't sound all that onerous, so long as you know about it and can comply. Those who didn't know, or were told otherwise, learned about them, the hard and expensive way. While I personally think Aussie customs is going way beyond reasonable in their regs, it is their country and we would be the visitors, so it is up to us to comply. My personal experience has been that entering the US is often more difficult than most other countries to which I've traveled, so I don't think we've got much right to complain. (Wait till you leave and return, then you'll understand.)

Good luck in your journey!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 15:46   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Ed,
Welcome aboard!! Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do. You've already got a lot of answers so I won't try to help until I feel you ask one which I know something about.
I just got a passport renewed and it only took 24 days. I didn't do the special rush order either.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 16:39   #4

Great idea... Do it!

There are many many good books on cruising which will answer many of your questions. I urge you to google or head off to B&N or Amazon and start reading.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 18:29   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Noonsite
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries

All the info you need!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:06   #6

Boat: Crealock 37
Thank you all for the quick responses! International drifter and Weyalan: Noonsite looks like it will be VERY helpful! Along with this and the constantly growing collection of books I've been reading, I seem to be developing a fairly good idea of what I'm in for ...
but I'm sure I'll still be back with plenty of questions!
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 13:05   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I am assuming you are American so if not the following info may not be as useful.

I have been travelling internationally for 30+ years and the US government consular and international travel info is pretty good.

The consular information sheets at the attached link are pretty helpful.

Consular Information Sheets

Good luck.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 23:22   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Ed,
Lots of other US people are out there doing what you plan and I'm sure this site will help you pick up needed tips before you depart.
Good luck with the plans.
JOHN
Old 10-08-2007, 06:17   #9

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by texwards
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but have been sailing for my whole life. My wife and I are in the process of selling our home so that we can purchase a boat and take our children around the world. We, understandably, are constantly seeking advice from other more experienced 'cruisers'. This looks like a great place for that!

Though I have thousands of questions, I'll start with a (hopefully) simple one:

I have never left the country and would like to know what the procedure is? The in and outs, particulars, etc. I have looked at the passport application, and it asks for destination - how do we handle this for multiple destinations? When do we need visa's? I've seen that there are some current issues with Australia customs - does anyone know of any other tricky areas?

...ok, so maybee it wasn't a simple question... thanks for your time

Ed
why not approach the local Marina manger, he will have all the red tape to show you?

if you want more advice how to get all the stuff for cruising etc...write to me ..i dio it all the time...lots of fun!

Mike

migot1
migot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 19:36   #10

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Passport issue is one of a piece of cake. Just go down to the post office and get the application, either go down the the passport office or mail it in with a copy of your birth cert.

Plan a few months just cruising the the states and you will soon find out what you need.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote