Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 19:00   #1
Kai Nui

With Wind and Seas

I am not one for self promotion, however, recently, quite a few members have expressed an interest in my online radio show. So, here is the info.
http://www.moosemeals.com/seas.htm
This link will take you directly to my page. The show is free. Just click, and listen
All shows are archived, so click on the library, and choose whatever show sounds interesting.
Note, you will need Real Player to listen, but a link to a free download is available if you do not have it. You will need a DSL or faster connection, and sound.
The program is simple. Anything to do with cruising, sailing, or of general interest to people who cruise or sail is a topic I will cover. I have searched out guests who are known, or wil be known in the sailing world, and interview them on subjects that I want to know about. I have a short series on choosing a boat, and a slide show on nautical terms for those who may be new to sailing.
I also welcome show ideas, and I am always looking for guests. I do two shows per month, so if you have heard them all, just wait a couple of weeks, and a new one will be posted.
Thanks to all who have asked, and especially to ssullivan, who was recently a guest on the show.
Old 18-01-2006, 21:41   #2
Kai Nui

In response to a recent question by Gunner, I suppose I should tell a little about myself, and our boats.
Born in the PNW, and raised in Md and Va, I transplanted to Ca allot longer ago than I like to admit. I have been trying to cut the dock lines in one way or the other ever since.
I am in the insurance business, and my wife is a book keeper. I am also a ham operater, and years ago was involved in DXpeditions. Something many of the hams on this site will be familiar with. This led to my involvement in a marine research group doing studies of invertabrates along the Pacific coast of the US and Mexico. It also led to my diving cert, and my decision to buy a boat and go cruising.
My wife an I live aboard our 40' Challenger ketch, and plan to take off in a few years. We are behind schedule, but have revamped our plans and are back on track again. As many of you are aware, I am a wood boat guy, and as such, when we sold our wood boat and moved to a bigger boat, the Challenger, I started going through withdrawls, and had to get another wood boat. THat is how i came to own Kittiwake, a 28' double ender built in 1940 by Olaf Tellefsen. recently got the oppertunity to meet Olaf's son, through an odd chain of events. I put Kittiwake online for sale. Olaf's grandson saw the add, and told his father about the boat. None of them knew about her before this time. The boat was built when his son was 3. We got together for a chat recently, and I gave him the grand tour of Kittiwake, and he gave me the grand tour of her builder. A facinating guy. Never really owned a boat, but built quite a few, mostly power boats in the PNW.
So why am I selling Kittiwake? Well, sometimes a deal comes along that just can not be passed up. When my wife and I first started boat shopping about 10 years ago, we looked at a Piver timaran. The owner said he wanted to sell, but the price said he didn't. After 8 years of living aboard, and cruising California's central coast, my wife had isolated several issues she had with comfort on the water. One of which had to do with heeling. I like to push the boat, and she likes to sail level. The logical solution was to revisit the idea of a multihull. We decided to backtrack and start where we left off. I found the owner of the Piver, and now he needed to sell. Made the deal, and as the pictures show, the project begins. The trimaran is a Piver lodestar design, but highly modified. The ammas are from the blue prints of a 40' tri. The rig has been changed from a ketch to a sloop, and the aft cabin has been removed and replaced by a cockpit. Essentially we are starting with a bare hull.
Since 3 boats is just too much, we will sell Kittiwake, (When the right buyer comes along).
Since we have been living aboard, we have cruised extensively on the California Central Coast. We have done some sailing in the PNW, North Coast, and Southern Ca as well. I have been down Baja, out to Guadalupe Island, and Rocas Alijos on research vessels.
So that's me in a nutshell. After nearly 900 posts, I think most of you know my points of view, and I hope one or two actually agree
Gunner, I hope I answered our curiosity
Old 19-01-2006, 20:48   #3

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
Cool post and website. I need to listen to some of your casts. The pics of the Kittiwake are tres dramatique.

The pics of your tri are interesting-- I think I've seen one locally. I'll have to take a closer look at it next time for fun.
Jim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 20:51   #4

Jim H.

That tri, is a cool sailboat design. I've been aboard her. It's a Piver Loadstar.

Kai could give more specific's on her. I don't know too much about Piver's. Except that they do sail good.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 21:15   #5
Kai Nui

K you are too kind! No, really, too kind. The Pivers are not known as great sailors, but they are appropriately priced, and adaquate. They were inovative in their day, but compared to a F-31, they are not even the same concept. That being said, I think she will make a very comfortable cruiser. I do look forward to the next time you can get up here. I think the tri will look very different by then.
Jim, Thanks for the comments. Dramatic is a great complement. When you go aboard Kittiwake, you get the feeling that you need a pipe and a typwriter. She is just that sort of boat. Very inspiring.
Old 19-01-2006, 21:48   #6

Well Kai.

I remember that part of a Piver Loadstar soing what.......20kts?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 19-01-2006, 21:49   #7
Kai Nui

Even a chicken can fly if it's thrown off a fence (for a little while)
Old 19-01-2006, 21:52   #8

Yeah. That's what you call half-assed flying.

Old 19-01-2006, 21:59   #9
Kai Nui

FWIW, yes, the boat has done 20kts, and yes, I will probably try to accomplish that at least once, but realisticly, I will be happy with about half that.
Old 19-01-2006, 22:02   #10

That's cool. If you can push out 10 kts. Then she's doing good!!