Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2018, 11:07   #1

Wiwizz here, old guy, old boat gots to bring her back

First post. I'm Welsh and a Virgo, for those that subscribe to such things. Which means I'm right all of the time. Well. So much for looking at the stars as you drift closer to the reef, and a fat head and a high IQ doesn't mean you are smart about Boats and say, water. I humbly introduce myself.
Born Winnetka Ill. Now live in the driftless area of SW Wisconsin. Trying to deal with a Formosa 51 CC in Guatemala. My 75th birthday is in September and I wish to make as big a change as I can think of. No space for me.
Been out of it for a while but used to race in Chicago. I remember once being
aroused just before my shift and up the mast I went. Manatu passage on the Chi to mac. did five of them. Irwins as I remember.
I thought I ought to sign in but this. I'll name her uncle blabby, or just Bevis.
More if there's a later.
Glad your all here.
wiwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 14:06   #2

Boat: '78 Hatteras 48LRC, 48' 10"
Re: Wiwizz here, old guy, old boat gots to bring her back

Glad you're here! It seems you've had years of experience with many tales to tell. I look forward to the hearing/reading.
Greg Brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 14:11   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, I'm Ann, longtime cruiser, and even older than you wrote you are. I am a pretty straight, blunt talker. Welcome aboard CF.

Go to Guatemala. Live with a family who can teach you Spanish, who will like you and help you out in countless ways. Get to work on your boat, if you already bought it. You will probably not be going aloft at sea at your age, don't plan on it, get the boat ship shape before you head out. Find out if the title is clear, if not, go home to Wisconsin.

Honestly, that's a plywood cored deck, it will have some rotten spots in it under the teak especially if it has been unattended for a while. There's a thread on a deck job on one, written by Rich Boren, and he had his son to help him. Use the CF Custom Google Search to find it, under the search menu. It is a huge boat for one person to maintain, especially as we get creakier, so much to varnish. It's old. Do you know anything about working on boats, or do you prefer to delegate? Delegation is expensive, even in Guatemala. How are the engine? the sails? the rigging (you're in salt air now, not the fresh water great lakes)?

If you have never been an ocean sailor, what you have missed out on are sea hours, that inform your decisions, and keep you cautious, that have taught you about weather and how to respect it with a boat, and about your physical limitations. It is a huge deficit.

Cruising isn't for everyone. Many stop in their 60's and 70's. Cut yourself some slack, if you decide that maybe this isn't for you at this time of your life. We all have had lost opportunities, and we survive them.

I would recommend your considering a much smaller, easier to maintain and handle boat, and try out cruising that well found boat coastally for at least a year before heading offshore, if you still want to do it at that point.

Ann
Old 31-03-2018, 14:11   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiwizz View Post
First post. I'm Welsh and a Virgo, for those that subscribe to such things. Which means I'm right all of the time. Well. So much for looking at the stars as you drift closer to the reef, and a fat head and a high IQ doesn't mean you are smart about Boats and say, water. I humbly introduce myself.
Born Winnetka Ill. Now live in the driftless area of SW Wisconsin. Trying to deal with a Formosa 51 CC in Guatemala. My 75th birthday is in September and I wish to make as big a change as I can think of. No space for me.
Been out of it for a while but used to race in Chicago. I remember once being
aroused just before my shift and up the mast I went. Manatu passage on the Chi to mac. did five of them. Irwins as I remember.
I thought I ought to sign in but this. I'll name her uncle blabby, or just Bevis.
More if there's a later.
Glad your all here.
Howdy WIWIZZ and Welcome Aboard CF!

When you say "trying to deal with a Formosa 51CC in Guatemala" does that mean you own her or are negotiating to buy or sell her? Or looking for a boat to buy and sail? etc.

Enjoy your time on the forum and on the water!
Steadman
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 22:50   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

If you don't already own it 51' is too big for an older person to sail and maintain comfortably, I'm 73 and have been at the sailing game for about 30 years, 20 or so single handing, and would not go above about a 40' boat.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat