Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2007, 14:59   #46

Boat: custom 75' ferro yacht
Morgan Paul: good on ya mate

Sitting on your arse while you think things out - can be an important part.

Not to mention that half of this job all these years - was probably done sitting down too - Thank God for milk crates.

But there are an aweful lot of people who spend their whole lives with ideas and dreams - and never take a step to make something happen. Whether it's a few minutes - or all those minutes that run into years - just do something - that makes that dream a reality - everyday.

No-one else in this world can do it for you - (not that anyone ever offers - on the contrary they're mostly frightened off) and if they did what would be the point.

Dreams are a very personal thing that don't share all that well - as you look at the pile of steel rods on the ground - no-one else can see the image of the glorious sailboat wings spread on the open ocean - that haunts your mind - and possesses you.

Only you can make that picture real - and just talking 'don't get it dun'.

Rodney

yachtrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 15:51   #47

Boat: '99 Hunter 240 "Anitabreak II"
OUTSTANDING!
Will you be in Sydney or perhaps Hobart during Feb. 08??
Anita
Anitabreak II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 16:17   #48

Boat: 50' custom pilot house cutter
Hi Rodney: It was good of you to post pictures of my project, and thanks for the kind words, but I don't want to hijack your thread, because you deserve a tremendous amount of credit for what you've accomplished. I spent 3 1/2 hours driving out of Boston today from work, 30 miles in a New England blizzard of sorts, and I spent most of that 3 1/2 hours pondering how you persevered in the face of all odds. The psychological and emotional turmoil that you must have gone through as you slowly realized that the only solution was to cut the old girl in half is what gets me. I can't imagine doing that to my own vessel, but I guess if I had to to save her, I would. I've been over all of your pictures (great and entertaining site, by the way) and posts several times, and it looks to me as though you arrived at the only logical and safe way to do it. The drive and strength of will required to pull it off can only be guessed at... But the feeling of satisfaction now must be way, way, over the top, and you deserve all of it. Of course it's crazy, too, but that's what's so great about it... you didn't let it stop you, and it worked. Makes me want to finish up my old girl and sail her to Oz just to meet you. Again, congratulations, and all the best, Bob S/V Restless
bob kingsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 16:19   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hey - In the post #41 picture. The upper left and upper right are you before and after the work right? Loks like it took a little weight and added a few years - LOL.

Being half Aussie I gotta say this. For anyone who has not been down under, it is a country that creates people who live in adversity and create solutions. What appears nuts to up-overs is usually just a result of the people and the environment.

BTW - If you had the "pull" that Howard Hughes had in the 40's you could have had a bunch of power lines dropped (as he did) as well...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 16:52   #50

Damn! Thats something, wow.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 19:16   #51

Anita Break II - staying around Sydney a while

Hi Anita

You're travelling all the way to Tassie for a holiday - in Feb - that's just great.

I've never been to Tasmania - isn't that always the way. We sail off to explore the world - while all the rest of the world wants to come here to see what we've got. Well this time I have already resolved to spend a long time looking around our own beautiful island country - and after all - it's probably the safest place in the entire world to sail anyway.

I don't expect to have moved too far by February - there's a fair bit to do - with putting all these plates on permanently and all those bolts - and I can't do the one's on the outside around the hull - without I have someone here on the inside to put on the nuts and help. So we'll just have to see how that pans out.

Everyone (on land) seems to think you just put the yacht in the water - and then sail off into the sunset - just like it's some romantic movie. Well maybe sometimes it is - but we all know that in order to enjoy the benefits of this wonderful lifestyle - there's still a helluva lot of 'stuff' to do ALWAYS.

Certainly the yacht should be capable of motoring anywhere - in the not too distant future - and there are a fair few beautiful harbours and anchorages right here around Sydney - to keep a person happy for a while. Or if your Penny - all you want - is a soft cushion, gentle breeze, and the warm sun - and you're in heaven.

And by all means - anyone who wants to make contact - or call for a visit - would be welcome. You only need to let me know by phone or email - or if you're in a boat - then just look for this huge yacht with a little dog sitting like Cleopatra on her royal cushions - and call out.

There is an email in the archives at thedogpaddler telling all the 'landlubbers' exactly where we are:

http://thedogpaddler.com/EmailNewsle...71123_Maps.htm

Rodney
Old 13-12-2007, 19:42   #52

Ex-Calif - 'weight for age'

And may I just say Dan - that it looks like you haven't missed out on too many meals aboard that 'Maxi 77' either.

The photos you kindly referred to - are of course - of 2 different people. The fellow on the right is an old friend and neighbour - who visited the yacht regularly - and I prevailed on to occasionally take some pictures of me - in boatbuilding mode.

I'm sorry to say that the stress and worry of 'cutting a yacht in half' didn't seem to reflect itself in any loss of weight. And as the years wore on - and the heavy work of making and carrying many tons of cement ceased - I did put on 'a few pounds'.

But of course being about 6'4" and broad shouldered - I could get away with it - and only occasionally had to resort to Photoshop to adjust photos - which generally I put down to just poor photography.

Perhaps a few months on board again - and a bit more time in the water snorkelling and diving might restore . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

that trim fit fellow we knew
Old 13-12-2007, 19:56   #53

first class job could i have your autograph ????
redjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 20:24   #54

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Perhaps a few months on board again - and a bit more time in the water snorkelling and diving might restore that trim fit fellow we knew
That and the diet of fresh fish, rice and local greens.

It's certainly been my excuse (and its thirsty work building) as to why the spare kg's are there.

Theres a skinny man in all of us just waiting to get back out.

Dave
Old 13-12-2007, 20:57   #55

Bob - 3andhalf hours driving home.....

Bob! Three and a half hours - driving home - in a blizzard - and you built that yacht too.

You're the one who deserves a bloody medal.

Firstly - I hope you - and anyone else - does 'hijack the thread' - or at least keeps posting comments and messages. It's a real pleasure to hear from you all - and to go and check where you're from and what you tell me of yourself. And it makes ME stop and think - when I consider that across the world - you're struggling in a line of cars in miserable conditions - and pondering us here in Botany Bay Australia.

It's an amazing old world we live in today - that allows us all - to share each others experiences - in this way - from one side of the planet to the other - to actually see - each other - and step into whatever small part of a person's life they will share.

There's no need to 'sail to Australia' to meet - although I'm sure you wish you could - as you sit in that car going home. I'm sure as time goes on we will all make great friends - and who knows MAYBE, just maybe - with a bit of luck - one day we may just all sail into the same bay - and drop anchor alongside each other.

As you can see straight off - Penny and I are pretty happy - open folk - in fact Penny loves everyone - and everyone loves her (How do you get that deal going?). And we enjoy sharing the humble happenings and adventures. We had to do something else than cutting the yacht - all the time - or we WOULD have gone insane.

Did you know for example that we had a Rat on board - which became a bigger than Star Wars - saga.

Until we finally got rid of it - and to this day - Penny claims the worldwide credit for it:

How Urban Myths Begin

So please Bob - post here - or to me - anytime you want - I'd love to hear and see - just how Winter in New England - with a Cruising Sailor - works out.

Rodney

Here's one to ponder from many years ago

Old 13-12-2007, 21:19   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post

Theres a skinny man in all of us just waiting to get back out.

Dave
Not me. I got two skinny guys "weighting" to get out....
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 21:29   #57

redjack - autographs

You know redjack - sometimes I wonder whether we DO shape our own destiny - or if it's just plain old dumb luck - that decides whether we end up giving autographs or fingerprints.

But let me tell you - that when it comes to yachtbuilding - as one of life's decisions - it's a fine line . . . .

Old 13-12-2007, 21:41   #58

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Thats one flash looking aviery/chook pen you have there Rodney (-;

Dave
Old 13-12-2007, 21:45   #59

cat man do - fresh fish, rice and local greens

You got that right cmd.

When I first went sailing - all those years ago - I was about 21st/133kg - from long lunches - and living the rat race 'good life'. (and that's about what I am again)

Within 6 months of the cruising life - with daily healthy yacht life exercise - and eating seafood and fresh food - instead of 6 courses with wine - I had gone to the sveldt fit figure you see in the 'equator' photo.

So much so - that friends of the time - Barry & Val Watts off 'Halcyon' (sunk in Truk Lagoon - and refloated months later - and that's another story) - did not recognize me when they walked past me in the main street of Pohnpei. Thinking it was a slim athletic someone else.

I promise you this - living the cruising lifestyle - and actually sailing a boat around - will add 10 years to your life. And those 10 will be the best of your life.

Rodney
Old 13-12-2007, 21:51   #60

Ex-Calif - 'Maxi 77'

Now you've got me confused - is 'Maxi 77' - you or the boat?

Perhaps you'd better post another photo - Just to clear this up.

Two! One of you - and one of the yacht - so we can see which is the biggest.

Rodney