Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2006, 18:04   #1

Yet another hello :)

Just wanted to say hi Been reading the board for a while with great interest, and figured I'd take the plunge so to speak and post. I don't have a sailboat yet, and have never had one before However, being only 23, I figure I have a enough time to get into it. There's a few sailing schools in the area (I'm in Montreal, QC) and I hope to get into one next summer. Only problem I'm facing at the moment is lack of funds, due to just getting out of Uni and having no employment. But that should eventually be solved (I'd hope )

I have like 30 plans on how to get sailing, though the most realistic would involve me saving 50-60% of my income for a few years, and then building my own boat. Been looking at Snell's Easy, and think I could do it. Another option, though more risky and taking many years, would be to borrow money to build an Easy, sell it almost right away, use the money from the sale to pay off the loan from the first, and to build a second, and turn around and sell again, and build a third etc, untill I have enough money for a nice big cruising kitty and a really nice boat from the experince of building a few before yeah it'd be alot of work building 3-4 boats, but considering what Snell says the approximate cost to manufacture, and what a well built boat goes for, the profit on the sales would make my yearly "income" like $75000, all the while learning how to build better and better boats, not to mention sorta being my own boss. Even if it takes me 10 years, I'll still only be 33 (God I love being young )

Anyways, don't want to ramble on forever, so take care

Thomas
mxtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 19:59   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Thomas,
Welcome aboard!! Being young is great. Don't wait too long to got sailing. Crew on other peoples boats for awhile. Find an old boat that needs some repair and buy it. Start with a small boat and work your way up repairing then reselling. You'll learn so much more than most sailors will ever know.
Good luck and
Kind Regards, JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote