Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2020, 06:58   #16

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: A general social question regarding sailing

Sometimes I think this is a male/female thing too. My wife will always ask me..."what's his last name?" I always have to respond "I don't know, didn't ask. Why does it matter?"
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:36   #17

I have belonged to a sailing club for 35 years and still only know 3/4 of the members by first name, or sometimes even just their boat, Hasn't stopped us once from helping each other, sailing or socializing.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:43   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
Only if the authorities are looking for you, otherwise stand tall.
Now, that's a good answer!
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:47   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I'm known as Sharon's husband
I know what the means
Old 29-06-2020, 10:07   #20

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

Wondering why you would be concerned about someone knowing your last name? As a previous poster, stand tall.

I generally remember in order:
1. Boat owner's dog's name, if they have one.
2. Boat type.
3. Boat Name.
4. What the owner looks like.
5. Owner's first name or last, if it's something memorable.

Someone asking your last name is almost certainly trying to help themself remember your name.

Boat cards are great, however I never have them when I'm on the dock... I do keep a note in the phone of 'locals' when I arrive somewhere new as I suffer from CRS.
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 10:50   #21

Boat: Catalina 320

I'd print up some OPB (other peoples boat) cards with name and number, if you do get asked along show up early and help with any prep and only leave after you've helped wash and wipe down the boat, take out the trash etc. you will be asked again.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 10:50   #22

When we were in The Bahamas, my husband and I were known as "The Newlyweds." It was cute. We WERE newlyweds on our honeymoon, but we were in our 60s! Sweet. After that we were just, "Cande and David".
Ms J-37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:09   #23

The surname only really matters for official papers and to avoid confusion. Unless the Marina is huge, how many "Steve's" are there? How many "Steve's" on your dock are there? (As opposed to 'Steve' and "Steve from 'B dock"). How many combinations of people? (Kim and Steve). Or 'Steve on the Trawler' or 'Steve on the Mainship'.

I don't know most of the last names of people I call friends. Heck, half the time we refer to the boat name, not the people. "We're going to have sundowners on "Endless Summer". "'Endurance' is coming in". 'We're rafting up with "Heron" and "Perseverance". etc.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:45   #24

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

We almost never hear, and would forget last names unless that person is a professional and looking for business. But always remember the name of their boat. For cruisers, a person's boat name is their "last" name.
Old 29-06-2020, 13:34   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

i'm pretty much in line with Bradfordharley's list. I'm strongest with dog names. I remember once anchored by marker 32 in Daytona while another boat anchored nearby. I didn't know the boat or the crew, but someone called across to our dog, "Hey, Zorro!"

I once knew Paul who had a slip nearby at my "home port" marina. 'knew him for years and discovered that we had many of the same friends from Ft. Lauderdale. When back in Lauderdale I mentioned him to some mutual friends, but even though I'd known him for about five years, I had no idea of his last name. I don't hold back with last names, but sometimes you're just on a first name basis.
Old 29-06-2020, 14:02   #26

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Meh

First and boat name / marina name / etc, or first and last, guess you could go all opsec, but if they have your name, know the boat name and port, heck they know where you sleep right lol

For most people you can get their first and last name just off their boat name and hailing port and a few minutes on the internet

In the OPs context, not sure it would matter one way or another, whatever is easier Id say
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 14:09   #27

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I have boat cards with a pix of my boat on one side with the boat name, phone number, and email address and a head shot of me on the other side with my first and last name there. If there are multiple folks with the same name they are often designated by the most important, or one with the most longevity, going by their first name, in my case Tom, and other identification added, like One Eyed Tom, or Fat Tom for the other two Toms in the harbor.. In other cases I know a Fiberglass Dave who does great fiberglass work or Welder Dave who is a welder.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 14:29   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionsinsight View Post
If someone asks me for my last name when giving out my number, is that a red flag...?
Heck no. Why would it?

We are often casual and equipped with sieve-like brains as we get older. If someone is interested enough to ask for your name and number, they're likely going to enter you into their contact list. So it pays to give them any relevant info like first & last names, email, mobile. The more they remember, the more likely a future call.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 14:42   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ah, the contact list! Mine has boat names in the middle name slot.
Old 29-06-2020, 15:13   #30

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Yup - all first names. Peter and Donna have been my fingermates at the marina for about five years, we have a friendly relationship on the dock, chat all the time and I still don't know their last name. We have 3 Mike's in close proximity and they're all defined otherwise by their boats. I don't see anything nefarious about being asked your last name though - but I wouldn't ever expect it to be remembered.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing