Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 14:34   #1

A newbie question about seacocks

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to boating.
Currently my 33ft sail boat is on shore for maintenance and fresh anti-fouling.

I would appreciate information on what seacocks should be open and those that should be closed before she is put again into sea. I know that the engine inlet seacock should be open, however I am not sure about the other seacocks.

thanks,
Christopher
schchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 14:47   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: A newbie question about seacocks

Depends on how your boat is setup.

On ours, we’ve got seacocks on the cockpit drains, but I never close them for obvious reasons.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 15:02   #3

Deliberately not about seacocks:
The very first thing you should check when you get back into the water is your stuffing box.

Is there a reason you don't say specifically WHAT 33 foot sailboat you do have?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 15:19   #4

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

While the boats out, take your seacocks apart, clean and lube. I use waterproof grease and have been for 50 years. If your seacock has a screw in the middle of the housing, many people put a grease fitting there so the valve can be lubed and it helps seal the valve.

Attached Images

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 15:28   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

If using an inflated lift, close all seacocks (no worry if they're straps) Reason being is the inflated tubes can force water back up at great pressure. You can open all once tied up as you prep to start the engine and motor away from the ramp. Either way once in and before the lift takes off, inspect all thru hulls including stuffing box, transducers etc for leaks.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 15:33   #6

Open all seacocks once back in the water unless there is something you are not using, like an air conditioning intake or etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 15:40   #7

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Welcome to the forum.

Please identify the boat, the seacock type(s) and the seacock functions(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If your seacock has a screw in the middle of the housing, many people put a grease fitting there so the valve can be lubed and it helps seal the valve.
The manufacturer of the Apollo Conbraco seacocks used on my boat was contacted by telephone by me to discuss this topic.

They specifically recommended AGAINST replacing the drain plug w/ a grease Zerk because high-pressure grease forced between the hard / polished stainless sphere and the mating soft slippery plastic seal could cut through the seal, damaging the seacock.

The method I use to maintain / restore smooth "hot knife through butter" motion to my seacock valves is to disassemble, clean, lubricate, reassemble and carefully tighten the stem, washer seals and stem nut. This service will change an unusable seacock to one with perfect action.

All of my seacock valves are always open, except when I'm servicing that system. My head holding tank overboard discharge is always closed with the handle removed, except when I'm properly using that discharge.

All of my raw water components, hoses and clamps, are inspected and replaced as-required.

When I haul / launch, if I can keep the seacock closed prior to haul, open after splashed, then I don't worry about burping the air that entered the system. Otherwise I will open when splashed and burp the air up to the strainer, so the raw water pump will be "happy" not trying to pump air.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 16:00   #8

I keep all my seacocks open when on the boat - so they are all open when I launch.

Most boatyards will have someone look into the bilges right after launch (while she's still in the travelift slings) to check for leaks. That way they can lift her right back out if necessary. If they don't check, ask them to.

While a perfectly adjusted stuffing box won't drip when the engine is stopped, don't panic if yours is dripping at the dock. A few extra drips won't overwhelm the bilge pump and won't do any damage. It would be worse to have the stuffing box too tight such that the shaft overheats from no water for cooling.

If you can open and close all your seacocks comfortably, you don't need to grease them yet. I have some bronze Groco seacocks on my boat that are smooth and haven't been greased for five years. I check every six months. More importantly, I also check the hoses and hose clamps. Last time I checked, I found a supposedly high quality stainless clamps just hanging loose on the hose because the band had split.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:06   #9

Boat: Hunter 420 Passage

Close every seacock you can, except cockpit drains like someone else said. Whenever you leave the boat! It's a good habit, once you have to change an impeller because you forgot the raw water. It will be stuck in your mind. Better to find a leaking hose when you are aboard than when you see a mast sticking up.
Windcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 16:28   #10
Marine Service Provider

When splashing a hauled boat all seacocks should be closed. Once afloat, immediately go aboard and start looking for leaks everywhere. Better to take a knowledgeable friend or two to check each other's inspections.

When satisfied, open the necessary seacocks to get her back to the slip. Then do a repeat of the inspection and don't forget to check the shaft packing, a boat changes shape when out of the water and again when its put back in.

In the slip I only leave the cockpit drains open, all other seacocks are closed when the boat is not in use and the engine is not running.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 19:01   #11

Boat: Pearson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windcall View Post
Close every seacock you can, except cockpit drains like someone else said. Whenever you leave the boat! It's a good habit, once you have to change an impeller because you forgot the raw water. It will be stuck in your mind. Better to find a leaking hose when you are aboard than when you see a mast sticking up.
I've been wondering if I've been remiss by leaving my seacocks open when I'm away from the boat. Does everyone close all their seacocks on departure and re-open them on the next visit?
RSB333
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 20:22   #12

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSB333 View Post
I've been wondering if I've been remiss by leaving my seacocks open when I'm away from the boat. Does everyone close all their seacocks on departure and re-open them on the next visit?
RSB333
No, I never have, but I’ve replaced any that were at all suspicious and I make sure the bilge pump is fully functional. I would shut them all if I were leaving for any significant length of time.

Don’t forget to open and shut all of them regularly to keep them happy — I do this once a month at least to check they’re all perfectly smooth.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 21:57   #13

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
RSB333
Definitely not everyone, or there would be less boats that sink in their slips.

A busted hose clamp, split hose or failed seacock will likely sink any boat in time. Admittedly a small risk, but a risk none the less. Plus closing them ensures they operate smoothly. I cycle them a few times then leave them shut. When I open them, I cycle a couple times then leave open.

We close all of ours when leaving the boat for more than a day. We keep unused seacocks closed as a matter of practice.

As far as splashing, we have all valves shut, then open one by one after splashing to check for leaks.

Ours is a catamaran, no valves on sink or cockpit drains.
Old 07-07-2019, 00:16   #14

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
RSB333
We close our seacocks below the waterline if we are leaving the boat for a week or so. For only a couple of days, probably not.

We have three above the waterline (one of these is the bilge pump discharge) and I do not bother closing those when we leave. These are Marelon, and I open and close them when I complete my monthly checklist. Regular operation of the Marelon valves is important, and there are many posts on this site to confirm this.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:30   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Christopher.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote