Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2021, 19:13   #46

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: Advice docking a boat with throttle mounted down low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j314erre View Post
I'm considering sailing some boats such as Jeanneau or Hanse that I noticed have the throttle mounted at the lazarette down at knee level or lower.

It seems these boats require one to bend down and take your eyes off the prize during the crucial moments when you are trying to stop the boat.

I've seen videos of people handling these boats sitting down the whole time during the docking procedure, but when I'm docking I like to have a good 360 view, which requires standing, especially if the dock is on the opposite side of the throttle.

I'm wondering if people with experience on these type of boats can provide some advice on whether or not this setup is as awkward as I am imagining it to be and/or some tips for handling it?
We have a 2012 Beneteau Oceanis 50, and the throttle control would be knee height or a little lower on the stb side of the cockpit, just in front of the lazarette.

I find it no issue at all, and like you, always stand when docking. Just a quick flex of the knees to kick in or out of gear, and drift into the dock, then another flex to drop into reverse. Works just fine.

Originally I thought it would be good to have the throttle replicated on the port side, but have decided it is no big deal. The fuel filler is on the stb side, so the throttle is on the correct side for those situations anyway.
Old 13-08-2021, 22:07   #47

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I personally hate the "lines should stop the boat" method. I see many sailors use it, and if they miss getting a spring line on, it's a full throttle reverse scramble trying not to hit anything. In my mind, when applying a spring line, the boat should be nearly stopped, then you can power against it after it's on. Less violent movement as a line goes tight, and much more margin for error.
I think you misunderstand. It's an attempt at perfection where, ideally, boat stops in exact position and then lines are tied. Not jerking the boat to a stop with the lines.
Again think of docking under sail where you judge the glide momentum perfectly.
What I find awkward is relying too much on the engine. I see people gunning in reverse. Have seen a few accidents when boat stalls or doesn't go into gear.

Granted there is more than one way to skin a cat and with major current and wind the only way to reach the dock may be with major help by the engine.
I have scared myself more than once.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 05:12   #48

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Jeanneau 36 has the lever very low, port side. To make matters worse, the detent for neutral wasn't effective. The Yannmar shop said "sorry".
Backing that boat in was the thing that could ruin a great day of sailing.
Never had an issue with my other 14 sailboats.
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 05:34   #49

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
I think you misunderstand. It's an attempt at perfection where, ideally, boat stops in exact position and then lines are tied. Not jerking the boat to a stop with the lines.
Again think of docking under sail where you judge the glide momentum perfectly.
What I find awkward is relying too much on the engine. I see people gunning in reverse. Have seen a few accidents when boat stalls or doesn't go into gear.

Granted there is more than one way to skin a cat and with major current and wind the only way to reach the dock may be with major help by the engine.
I have scared myself more than once.

Yeah, planning to run out of momentum in the right spot works, although if there's too much wind you may get blown off. Using light reverse to stop the boat is fine, but in my mind, if it takes much more than idle reverse on the last bit of the approach to kill any excess momentum, you came in too hot.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 05:53   #50

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46.1
Advice docking a boat with throttle mounted down low?

Beneteau Oceanis 46.1 since end of 2019, with engine and bow thruster controls down at ankle level at starboard helm area. After our year, Ben started offering the controls up higher on the pedestal to make things easier.

At first and as I got used to docking her, docking would be exercise in standing (to see better and steer) - sitting (to adjust throttle) - standing - sitting - standing - etc. I was told by some ‘old salts’ that I would learn to control throttle with my foot and it would be easy.

Well, I don’t use my foot, but I’ve become comfortable with the setup. The comfort comes with knowing how to control the boat more effectively/efficiently in docking maneuvers and in wind. We’ve got twin rudders with no effective prop wash, so need some speed to have good rudder control. I’ve also become more comfortable steering and maneuvering from seated position when possible.

I still bounce up and down especially at most critical time when needing adjustments close to dock, but definitely manageable. I wouldn’t shy away from this setup, but would prefer controls higher / easier to reach at helm station.
jc1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 06:38   #51

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Are you going to a fire or docking a boat?
You only ever need enough speed to overcome the tide
I have one of the vessels you are discussing, the throttle location is never and issue. My Jeanneau 44i is 45ft long, I am on a mooring and can sail on and off in up to 35knot winds by my self. Either broad side docking or slip docking should never be done at a speed where you can not take your “eyes off the prize” for literally 2 seconds, you should not have to look down either.
Do you look down at the gas and break when you are driving in your car?
Do you perfer reaching though the wheels of the helm?
Do you look at the shifter when driving a manual vehicle?
My local gas/water dock typically has competing wind and tidal current, the tide can run as much as 2 knots. I always anticipate getting on by my self and rarely have to go at it a second time.
Slip docking is a skill, if you are intimidated by the conditions don’t blame it on the equipment, man up or stay home until you are proficient (like heavy wind sailing), most do.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 08:38   #52

Had the same problem on my Sadler 32.

Built a two piece wooden extension arm. Bottom piece is fastened onto the handle of the throttle with two large u-bolts. Top piece can swivel within the bottom piece at the point where the arm is fastened onto the throttle.(Facilitates forward and back movement)

Worked like a charm, and no more anxious moments.
Southern waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 14:45   #53

Boat: Freedom 32

Both of my sailboats have had the configuration that everybody’s talking about. There’s so much of it out there and people really aren’t complaining enmass about it. But… If if you want a $10 fix try this: Remove the red ball from the shift lever. Locate a piece of metal tubing that will fit snugly over the existing lever. Make it as long as you wish and fit a knob over the hand end. Depending on the tightness of fit between the original lever and the extender you may be able to change gears if you haven’t made the extender too long. Just an 💡. Untested and not very well thought out. 🤣
Old 20-08-2021, 06:48   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
The low throttle controls are scary. Takes practice and planning. But you learn to overcome it.

Don't let the throttle location "get inside your head". Practice moving it- keep in mind, you don't have to look at the throttle to use it. Also on the newer boats, using them thruster, makes it easier. The purists (those who don't have thrusters) will eschew the thruster. But when I dock boats with one, I use it!
Yeppers~ My dockmate throws his Hanse 410 like a champ- seated with a bow thruster. One learns to adapt & soon it becomes the norm.
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 07:09   #55

Boat: Leisure 27

I always use my right foot.
Ad
YellowBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 07:17   #56

I have the same configuration with the throttle below knee level. COmpored to my experience with other solutions, it doesn't make much difference.

For one, the throttle isn't adjusted constantly. The boat has far too much inertia for it to have visible effects. On the other hand, when docking, being aware of the next steps is necessary anyway, so there's always enough time to reach down without risking anything. And no, I don't have to look at the throttle to use it. I wouldn't see much anyway, as in the critical areas, a few millimeter make a big difference in the desired rpm. Nothing to see down there, it's all about feeling and listening.

For these two reasons, whether I have to reach down at the appropriate moment or if I have it on a joystick without taking the hands off the wheel makes no real difference. If you need to access the throttle quickly, you messed up a lot earlier and should go slower or work an your situational awareness.

This applies to my underpowered, heavy sailboat without bow-thusters. For planing motorboats, my views would be different.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 07:23   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBoat View Post
I always use my right foot.
Ad

You beat me to it.

My boat is tiny, so it's not really a fair comparison. But, my process usually goes like this...
1. Slow my boat down ahead of time. Generally, just clicking the boat into gear to give it just enough forward momentum for steerage into the slip.
2. Click the throttle into neutral using the heel of my right foot.

3. Angle the boat towards the slip (almost never straight-in) The amount of angle depends on the wind angle/strength, but generally about 30-40 degrees.
4. as I'm nearing the dock, I push hard to port which glides the stern towards my starboard tie.
5. If I'm carrying too much speed, I click the throttle back a touch using my right foot. (Although, I don't like to do that because my boat walks to port, away from the dock)
6. then starboard lines go on to arrest any additional momentum... I have no room to overshoot or "back down" once in the slip.

The same with leaving the dock. I may initially click the boat into reverse with my hand while sitting, but most other throttle controls are done with my foot while standing. In the fairway, steering is often done with my knees because my hands are busy getting lines ready, and throttle is either just steady on, or manipulated with a foot when needed.

I tried the whole "take my eyes off where I'm going and stoop to use my hands" deal and that simply doesn't work well for me. I find my docking is much smoother if I keep my focus on direction, and provide small and fewer inputs with the throttle. No Captain Ron speed docking for my old boat.

J.
JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 07:28   #58

The controls on a J-Boat I owned were located down around my ankle.

When docking, I’d go barefoot and clamp my toes around the end of the throttle/shift lever. It was quite effective.

Kinda like toe-clamming….
4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 07:46   #59

Boat: Union 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlespeed View Post
Why not just remove the ball or barrel on the end of the throttle and find a way to mount a socket for a removable extension onto it. Realizing the the end of the throttle would have a large range of motion, how often do you need to put in full power in either forward or reverse, while docking? When not motoring simply remove the extension for an uncluttered cockpit.
This would be how I would approach the problem. Our Union 34 has a very short starboard mounted throttle/ shifter as well. As the lever is threaded for a shifter knob (identical to my Corvette), I have considered an extension lever and coupling that I can easily screw on while performing additional pre docking procedures. It might not be shippy, but it would be very functional and easily removed after docking. Somewhat reminiscent of some of the shifters in the Ed Roth cartoons back in the day. (Old car guy here) Just my .02 as it would allow me to stand and work controls while docking
Platinummaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 08:05   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by j314erre View Post
I'm considering sailing some boats such as Jeanneau or Hanse that I noticed have the throttle mounted at the lazarette down at knee level or lower.

It seems these boats require one to bend down and take your eyes off the prize during the crucial moments when you are trying to stop the boat.

I've seen videos of people handling these boats sitting down the whole time during the docking procedure, but when I'm docking I like to have a good 360 view, which requires standing, especially if the dock is on the opposite side of the throttle.

I'm wondering if people with experience on these type of boats can provide some advice on whether or not this setup is as awkward as I am imagining it to be and/or some tips for handling it?

Use your foot, if you fear taking your eyes off what you're doing.
Few sailboats have the, throttle levers in a good position for constant sight outside.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, boat, dock, Docking, rot