Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2022, 14:39   #31

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Re: Advice for a rookie.

Where in the UK?
Join a sailing club if you want to sail, good sailing clubs are not expensive but you might be expected to help out.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 22:24   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceania 41

Some interesting comments above.

I’ll offer a view as an RYA Yachtmaster Instructor.

Where do you plan to do the course?

Your sail boat will have a maximum of 5 students. Be prepared to “live out of a suitcase (soft kit bag)” and keep living space below deck clean, tidy with kit safely stowed away.

The student mix could be all CC, CC with DS or CC with CS. Be prepared to get on with complete strangers.

I’d recommend that you buy yourself the G158 Yachtmaster Scheme Logbook and the CC Practical Course Notes booklet. The logbook gives syllabus for all courses. You’ll then have a clear set of expectations for your CC course.

Most importantly, carefully read the school Joining Instructions.

It’s not essential but some very keen students may have done the Essential Navigation and Seamanship online Shorebased course prior to joining the boat.

Ask a lot of questions and don’t be afraid to ask for further help or instruction with any of the course content that isn’t clear. Expect to have a daily one to one debrief to ensure that your progress remains on track. If this isn’t offered, ask for it.

Pull your weight, make your contribution towards the smooth running of the boat and, most importantly, enjoy it.
Skylark UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 00:42   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Sunscreen. Hat. Spare hat. Backup spare hat. Extra backup spare hat. Additional hats just in case you lose all of those hats. See a pattern here? And sunscreen, too.

Your favorite seasickness remedy. Take it before you set foot on a boat. Nervousness and anticipation could contribute to queasiness that you ordinarily would never experience. Second day just have it handy, you probably won't need it.

Knife. Backup knife. Spare knife. etc. And a handy and convenient way to touch up the edge. Not serrated saw bladed knives. That is lubberly. For quick touchups the Lansky Quad Sharp pullthrough is great, rides in your pocket nicely. A few strokes and it's sharper than your mother in law's tongue.

I would not advise potential rookie CCs to carry a knife , more likely to stick someone then use it usefully.

Sunhats of course are only useful for sailing in the sun
Old 17-05-2022, 00:44   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Bugle View Post
Also try to go with a professional outfit, the 1st course I went on was with a sole operator & it was ordinary - too many on board, he did'nt own the boat, we only did some of the stuff that was promised, I felt it was just a cash grab, very disappointing...I then went with a reputable outfit & there was a world of difference - I learnt heaps & had a good time...

It’s always a risk that the syllabus doesn’t get fully covered. Weather , unexpected situations , problematic students , very few instructors sail their own boats.
Old 17-05-2022, 03:25   #35

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sunhats of course are only useful for sailing in the sun
… and for keeping the rain off your face, keeping your hair in place, keeping your head a little warmer, etc

Don’t forget a strap or tether so you don’t lose it!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 12:17   #36

dont worry about knowing anything, take warm close and enjoy the couse. the competent crew is more about learning how to be safe and usefull rather than being a skipper.
its a long time ago we did one but it as a great few days and we lernt a lot, mostly things like dont sit on the cushions with your oilys on as you will be sleeping there later and dont want a damp bed!
paul2884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 15:35   #37

Boat: None yet

Thanks for all the advice. I just completed the first 2 days with another 3 scheduled for next month. Day one saw moderate winds up to 20Kn and light seas. Day two was more exciting, winds gusting to 35Kn with 3 reefs in the main on one in the Genoa and 2M Swells. Lots of Rain. The sailing was amazing.

However:

Whilst the boat was more than a match for the conditions, it was poorly designed. Conditions were cramped and the beds were awful. From my perspective a 37" monohull is woefully inadequate. Also - the instructor had an "old school" attitude and whilst he had major sailing skills, he was frankly ill informed about modern technologies and designs. He continually misrepresented other boats and sail package capabilities. At times I felt like I knew where we were significantly better than he did - just by opening an App on my phone: and he was a bit uppity as I already knew how to tie a bowline...

I shall definitely be selecting a different kind of experience for subsequent training.
Wihglah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 17:27   #38

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft
Smile Re: Advice for a rookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihglah View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I just completed the first 2 days with another 3 scheduled for next month. Day one saw moderate winds up to 20Kn and light seas. Day two was more exciting, winds gusting to 35Kn with 3 reefs in the main on one in the Genoa and 2M Swells. Lots of Rain. The sailing was amazing.

However:

Whilst the boat was more than a match for the conditions, it was poorly designed. Conditions were cramped and the beds were awful. From my perspective a 37" monohull is woefully inadequate. Also - the instructor had an "old school" attitude and whilst he had major sailing skills, he was frankly ill informed about modern technologies and designs. He continually misrepresented other boats and sail package capabilities. At times I felt like I knew where we were significantly better than he did - just by opening an App on my phone: and he was a bit uppity as I already knew how to tie a bowline...

I shall definitely be selecting a different kind of experience for subsequent training.
Mmmm. Is this a joke?

If not, I'm glad you enjoyed the sailing & had some useful experience in different conditions. Sounds like you are happy to go back for more, which is a hopeful sign at least.

However, (as I'm bored with the telly & not quite ready to turn in yet):

Trying to remain kind & constructive, for someone just 2 days into a CC course, you offer a lot of opinions about some quite complex subjects.
The boat may have appeared poorly designed to you, but all boats are a compromise so the same boat might appear ideal to someone else. Depends on your priorities, including money.
Conditions were cramped? (Define cramped.) With 5 or 6 or even 7 of you aboard a modern 37 footer I most sincerely very much doubt that - unless there were a lot of suitcases on board...
The beds were awful. What beds? You had beds? Did you mean the bunks? What was awful about them? Hopefully they were long enough? with foam cushions?
From your perspective a 37" monohull is woefully inadequate (for what?). I presume you meant 37' - as in foot - in which case my wife would agree with you, even with just 2 of us on board, but then she does like cruise ships & doesn't sail any more. Tried it for quite a while, but it was never her thing. She says I sleep in a cupboard, by which I believe she is referring to the owners aft stateroom, & that showering, shaving, etc .. in a 3 foot square bathroom is ridiculous. I tell her that is unfair as I am sure one of the bulkheads (wall, to you) is actually getting on for 4 foot long but that doesn't seem to change her perspective much. She would prefer a motor yacht, but only marginally so I haven't bothered.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but in the UK a 37 foot monohull is still usually considered a reasonably big boat, even these days. Judging by your first impressions though, I believe I can see a catamaran in your future.

You do realise that RYA Yachtmaster Instructors have to be fully qualified & then revalidated every 5 years, don't you? Its a recognised RYA qualification with its own requirements & everything, a bit like Competent Crew only a bit more demanding...

Your instructor may have seemed old school to you but maybe he was just being the skipper & also showing you the traditional way that things used to be done so that when all your apps go phut!, you might still know how to cope.
I also doubt that he was that ill informed about modern technologies, designs & capabilities, although I'm sure he had opinions & may have passed on the occasional comment. Boats can be very chatty places & you have to talk about something - other boats & rigs as you see them pass by are usually as good as anything.

Just to let you know that although apps can be very useful, quite often it isn't that important to know exactly where you are, as long as you most definitely do know exactly where you are NOT... You will understand, one day. Hopefully.

Being able to tie a reliable bowline is a useful skill, so well done on that. Can you do it in the dark? In a couple of seconds? What method do you use? Still the old rabbit round the tree method? Or the Admiralty way with a flick of the wrist? How about upside down (the knot, not you) to go round a mooring pile? Single handed, to save your life? On a bight, to make two loops? Behind your back (now you're just showing off). What is your opinion on the value of the extra half hitch as opposed to the water bowline for extra security?

YOU thought HE was uppity? Maybe he was just trying to show you another string to your bow(line).....

Please try to keep an open mind. Enjoy your sailing.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 17:31   #39

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:

However:

This report cracks me up. Typical, “Whereas I need lessons, I know more about it all than you do.” If you need to open a cell phone app to know where you are, then you are the one who is “lost.” It is a joke.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 19:50   #40

Let's not be too hard on our new friend. Perhaps he's from one of those places in Blighty that are unpleasantly - nay, unacceptably - far from the sea, say somewhere halfway along the M40 twixt Lunnun and Brum. If that's the case, it would be unfair to expect him to know anything about seafaring, wouldn't it ;-)?

But a few good blows in the Irish Sea should put that right. Or in the Channel. Or in the North Sea :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 22:47   #41

Quote:

However:

You absolutely must contact the school prior to completing your CC course to let them know that, based upon your 2-day experience:-
1) The boat was poorly designed
2) A 37ft monohull is woefully inadequate
3) The instructor has “old school” attitude and was ill informed about modern technologies and designs
4) Your navigational awareness was better than his due to your reference to a phone App.

Based upon your comments, I fear that with that attitude, you may pose a risk to the vessel and those others on board.

The school principal and/or your next instructor needs to be aware of your views. Only then can they decide upon the next course of action.
Old 22-05-2022, 03:28   #42

Boat: None yet

So, the upshot of your feedback is that because I had a negative experience because of poor equipment and an instructor who was up his own ar*e - that's my fault. Thanks guys.
Wihglah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 04:26   #43

If you think that you had a negative experience, it’s far better to first discuss it with the school than to express your views on a social media platform.

There are normally three sides to every story, “your side, my side and the truth”.
Old 22-05-2022, 05:12   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
So, the upshot of your feedback is that because I had a negative experience because of poor equipment and an instructor who was up his own ar*e - that's my fault. Thanks guys.
Don't worry about it and do lots of sailing with as many people as you can find. Joining a local yacht club, even inland would be good.

I have sailed with many over the years. One skipper liked his bottle of Gordons so much we went to bed after tea and all you could here was the clink of the bottle against the glass Thankfully we had a really good mate who took the time at night to show us the stars and during the day allowed us to practise with the very expensive sextant along with taking the time so show us how to set sails.

I asked one a Brigadier the skipper what the forecast was just before we departed for a x channel trip that night. I had already spotted the ominous black clouds over Portsmouth harbour. He replied it doesn't matter, we are going anyway and we did. Of course he had planned the trip and checked the weather. Fab trip but shocked after clearing the harbour he pointed at me and said "You steer the yacht". We surfed our way across the channel that night changing hank on head sails in a stormy sea but had a brilliant time.

You will meet all sort of characters, yes some are up themselves, others and there are a few on here like Dockhead, I would sail anywhere with One day you might be that instructor or at least have novice crews on your yacht. Cherry pick the best approaches your instructors have shown and copy them. No shouting being the top of my list along with taking time to explain in clear language what is going to happen and what everyone should do. Works for us and remember to enjoy the experience.

Good luck and keep us informed how you get on.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 06:52   #45

Boat: Bavaria 38E

I traded my flip phone only about 3 yr ago for a smart phone, but there is still no navigation app installed. Occasionally I’m out with folks, other sailors, on my boat who have the phone with app and track us using it. I remember one night helming off Catalina Island, approaching from a different angle than usual that was causing some disorientation, so one crew offered me a look at his iPad (chart plotter app) that he had on, so I did and was grateful. So, it’s useful, we all agree.

But as a teacher or instructor, my students are not permitted to have cell phones or other devices on during lessons w/o permission. The reason is, is that they are typically not paying attention to their instruction. If I wished to teach them how to navigate at sea using cell phones, then that would be in the syllabus. BUT— I cannot imagine a sailing course with a section entitled “cell phone navigation.” Likely electronic/GPS navigation, if that. But this would fall under the heading of navigation/coastal piloting along with the other techniques, such as the use of paper charts in conjunction with ATONS, RADAR, sounding, LOPs, etc.; even DR. That material is usually for the Part II course. It’s a fool’s mission to know and depend on only one form of navigation when at sea. Drop your cell phone overboard or onto the deck into sea water, it beak it; then what?

But if so unhappy with the experience and course format/instruction, perhaps ask for a refund and withdraw. Then find an alternative; perhaps among those mentioned above.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice