Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2023, 07:48   #16

Boat: 2011 Beneteau Oceanis 40
Re: Advice: Solo- Panama to LA Aug 2023 ~ 30 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by A la carte View Post
persistent plume of high winds off of Salina Cruz.
Thanks for reference. I think Ben alluded to this briefly as well. Since you called my attention to it, I'll stay vigalent. Here are two images. One is topographic - I observe what appears to be a mountain pass - coraling wind through the lowes point and likely venturi effect wind acceleration. The other attachment shows the wind plume you described (snapshot in time.)

Appreciate the call out! It helps me to know if there are a couple of areas to be ready for and anticipate reefing/strategy. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mage 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	280104   Click image for larger version

Name:	image 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	280105  

llamadingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 07:53   #17

Is there any obvious reason (i.e. current, etc.) other than wind at time of passage why I wouldn't want to go to Cabo San Lucas directly from Puerto Vallarta (vs. Mazatlan for example?) Is there another preferred route?
Old 25-08-2023, 17:38   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamadingo View Post
Is there any obvious reason (i.e. current, etc.) other than wind at time of passage why I wouldn't want to go to Cabo San Lucas directly from Puerto Vallarta (vs. Mazatlan for example?) Is there another preferred route?
There's a few possible stops between PV and Cabo: Matachen Bay, San Blas, Isabella Island, a couple of other nooks and crannies, but if I was in a hurry I'd go straight.
Mazatlan is out of the way if you have places to go.
Old 25-08-2023, 20:00   #19

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Thanks for reference. I think Ben alluded to this briefly as well. Since you called my attention to it, I'll stay vigalent. Here are two images. One is topographic - I observe what appears to be a mountain pass - coraling wind through the lowes point and likely venturi effect wind acceleration. The other attachment shows the wind plume you described (snapshot in time.)

Appreciate the call out! It helps me to know if there are a couple of areas to be ready for and anticipate reefing/strategy. Thanks!
There are two. The "Tehuantepecer" wind at the Tehuantepec gulf is what you see here and is the worst of them. There is also the "Papagayo" wind along the coast of Costa Rica, which if I read your posts correctly you are already north of.

The Tehuantepecer can be nasty. It is not forecast well from the weather models, and can go from pretty nice to 60+ kts in a short time. Locals understand it well, however. You can predict it by what is happening in gulf of Mexico to the North.

You will stop in Chiapas (Puerto Madero on many charts) to check into Mexico. There is a pretty new, nice, cheap marina there. And a nice boatyard if anything bad happens and you need some emergency work done. Just wait at the marina and network with other sailors and locals about the Tehuantepecer. Enjoy the swimming pool, cold drinks, and top off fuel if you need to while you wait.

The strategy that is written about is to stay very close to shore so there is no fetch and that way if there is high wind you at least won't have waves with it. When I crossed it didn't take much of a wait for a couple days forecast of very calm winds, and I motored straight across.
Old 25-08-2023, 20:07   #20

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
There's a few possible stops between PV and Cabo: Matachen Bay, San Blas, Isabella Island, a couple of other nooks and crannies, but if I was in a hurry I'd go straight.
Mazatlan is out of the way if you have places to go.
Go direct from PV to Cabo. If you don't need to stop for Fuel or repair, don't stop. Cabo's anchorage is unprotected and there will probably be no slips available in the marina. It is filled with fishing charter boats. Cabo is a giant resort for rich Americans. It mostly a bunch of expensive restaurants, a very crowded beach and they will look at you funny if you have Pesos instead of Dollars.
Old 08-09-2023, 13:05   #21

Update: I've continued up the coast and arrived in Cabo San Lucas 2 days ago. I pulled into the marina here as I was trying to stay out of the way of Hurricane Jova which went from a Cat 1 to Cat 5 hurricane in the same day... Waiting for another day (maybe two) for the seas to calm before I plan to head out.

@mvweevles - I'm noted from your chartlet some possible stops if WX gets out of hand. I fueled up here in the marina since I was here. I should now have enough to make it all the way to San Diego without having to refuel. Not really looking forward to the "bash" but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks all!
Old 14-09-2023, 08:50   #22

Travel Update - I resumed my journey northbound after waiting for better seas after the influence of hurricane Jova - Cat 5. Left Cabo in unusually calm seas day 1 and was met with the bash on the eve of day 2, with seas 5-7 wind 20-25 kts and 180 degree reverse in both wind and waves. In the absolute pounding, I lost my dinghy motor (unfortunately on a few months old) off the dinghy transom around midnight. I did not have it on back of the larger vessel in the event I needed it in case of emergency and also for fuel stops etc. Did not have a problem with this motor or the prior for past 5/12 months. Last week or two of the trip - gone. Very unfortunate but could have had worse things happen and I'll get over it. Passed Turtle Bay in the evening and currently working my way on the East side of Isla Cedros.

Sometimes my speed goes down to 2.3 kts and I do have a concern that if this keeps up (or worse) that I may find myself with a very diminished fuel reserve. Even my conservative calcs concur that I should make it but without a lot of wiggle room...

Are there any known places to get fuel between Ensenada and Turtle Bay? Would be good to have a backup plan to my backup plan (sailing) in my back pocket just as a precaution.
Old 14-09-2023, 21:10   #23

I've never been into San Quintin, but it appears feasible. View Google Maps (satellite) and you'll find some fishing charter places up the bay. Definitely need local knowledge and follow pangas in. The outer bay should afford protected anchorage, albeit rolly since it's an open roadsted.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 00:26   #24

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I figured you had underestimated your consumption rate. I always fill up at Turtle Bay. Its a bit pricey, but its good fuel and they come out with a fuel boat and pump it right into your tanks/jugs. You can be in and out in 3 hours except Sundays.

Having topped off in Turtle Bay, most boats can make Ensenada under power. If you are running short on fuel, you can always sail up the coast for a while. I have anchored at San Quintin overnight east of the entrance.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2023, 02:46   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Travel Update - I resumed my journey northbound after waiting for better seas after the influence of hurricane Jova - Cat 5. Left Cabo in unusually calm seas day 1 and was met with the bash on the eve of day 2, with seas 5-7 wind 20-25 kts and 180 degree reverse in both wind and waves. In the absolute pounding, I lost my dinghy motor (unfortunately on a few months old) off the dinghy transom around midnight. I did not have it on back of the larger vessel in the event I needed it in case of emergency and also for fuel stops etc. Did not have a problem with this motor or the prior for past 5/12 months. Last week or two of the trip - gone. Very unfortunate but could have had worse things happen and I'll get over it. Passed Turtle Bay in the evening and currently working my way on the East side of Isla Cedros.

Sometimes my speed goes down to 2.3 kts and I do have a concern that if this keeps up (or worse) that I may find myself with a very diminished fuel reserve. Even my conservative calcs concur that I should make it but without a lot of wiggle room...

Are there any known places to get fuel between Ensenada and Turtle Bay? Would be good to have a backup plan to my backup plan (sailing) in my back pocket just as a precaution.
If you put in at San Quintin or anywhere along the coast and flag down a passing panga, they might be willing to take you and some jerrycans ashore where you can hitch a ride to a Pemex. It's a hassle, but I've done similar things when cruising in remote places. It just takes patience and the willingness to pay the panga guys and land ride a little for their help.
I'm sorry about your dinghy motor--I can't believe it lasted as long as it did if you were towing the dink with motor on it all the way from Cabo to Cedros....
Old 15-09-2023, 05:52   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Go direct from PV to Cabo. If you don't need to stop for Fuel or repair, don't stop. Cabo's anchorage is unprotected and there will probably be no slips available in the marina. It is filled with fishing charter boats. Cabo is a giant resort for rich Americans. It mostly a bunch of expensive restaurants, a very crowded beach and they will look at you funny if you have Pesos instead of Dollars.
Hi Warren - heading straight from PV to Cabo was the.plan. What I did note from predictvwind Ocean Data was that at the time of my crossing there was a 1-2 Knots southerly current. There was a 1 knot northerly one east of it. Due to severe lightning lstorms that headed westbound, I ended up passing PV towards Mazatlan overnight, then cut across at 4am to Cabo. The lightning storms there were no joke. Potentially augmented and influenced by hurricaine Jova which was south.

I parked it at Cabo to wait out Jova. Off-season they had space @$90 night. You are right about all the restaurants, etc. Off season kept things lower key and not crazy.
Old 15-09-2023, 05:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I've never been into San Quintin, but it appears feasible. View Google Maps (satellite) and you'll find some fishing charter places up the bay. Definitely need local knowledge and follow pangas in. The outer bay should afford protected anchorage, albeit rolly since it's an open roadsted.
Ok- it's at least a lead. Thanks!!
Old 15-09-2023, 06:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I figured you had underestimated your consumption rate. I always fill up at Turtle Bay. Its a bit pricey, but its good fuel and they come out with a fuel boat and pump it right into your tanks/jugs. You can be in and out in 3 hours except Sundays.

Having topped off in Turtle Bay, most boats can make Ensenada under power. If you are running short on fuel, you can always sail up the coast for a while. I have anchored at San Quintin overnight east of the entrance.
Yes on estimation underestimating. I did not contemplatecmoving at 2.0 to 2.3 kts at times. Turtle Bay would have been good in retrospect, but being past it is no longer a viable option...

To your point though, my backup plan was to sail if I was able.i did sail all day yesterday across Baia Sebastian Vizcaino. Speeds: motoring at 2.5 kts, Sailing at 4.0-4.5 kts and motorcycling at 6.5 kts. I opted for the 6.3 kts. Rationale was moving fast I had provisioned for and may be in a good spot . Winds were 20-25 kts and seas were 6-9. It was a little ugly but I made it across with the speed by 11pm. Long Bay. I'm ducking in close to the coast heading north.

Good tip on San Quintin overnight anchoring location. Thanks!
Old 15-09-2023, 06:27   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
If you put in at San Quintin or anywhere along the coast and flag down a passing panga, they might be willing to take you and some jerrycans ashore where you can hitch a ride to a Pemex. It's a hassle, but I've done similar things when cruising in remote places. It just takes patience and the willingness to pay the panga guys and land ride a little for their help.
I'm sorry about your dinghy motor--I can't believe it lasted as long as it did if you were towing the dink with motor on it all the way from Cabo to Cedros....
Hey Ben - Flagging down a panga is a good idea and very resourceful. If you really need the fuel, it's not a hassle, it's a lifeline. Warren had mentioned something similar but it didn't hit home until you took the time to spell it out. So thank you. I'm good at jury rigging mechanical items. I just need to extend that more to people and their help.

Yes -the dinghy motor. Totally bummed about that. 1.5 months new, (purchased in Curriacou, Grenadines) Mercury 15 hp 2 stroke. I wasn't actually towing it behind the boat. It was pulled up and understrapped to the rear Arch dinghy davits. On day two evening from Cabo the boat was being absolutely pounded. Alas, the shaking and thrashing was too much and the outboard had worked her way loose of the dinghy transom. If thereb is one thing Ive learned it's that it could have always been worse. I'm grateful nothing critical broke. I'll count my blessings.

Thanks again
Old 15-09-2023, 07:30   #30

Quote:
Yes -the dinghy motor. Totally bummed about that. 1.5 months new, (purchased in Curriacou, Grenadines) Mercury 15 hp 2 stroke. I wasn't actually towing it behind the boat. It was pulled up and understrapped to the rear Arch dinghy davits. On day two evening from Cabo the boat was being absolutely pounded. Alas, the shaking and thrashing was too much and the outboard had worked her way loose of the dinghy transom. If thereb is one thing Ive learned it's that it could have always been worse. I'm grateful nothing critical broke. I'll count my blessings.

Thanks again
Whenever I tell people that I will NEVER put a dinghy on davits underway, they tell me I am being silly.
"Everybody" does it, they say.
Nothing to worry about, they say.
Nothing can go wrong, they say.
Don't be a p***y, they say.
Normally, a safety line on any outboard is a good idea. I guess it is a good thing you did not have one. Having the outboard hanging and banging around might have been worse than just losing it.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, Mexico, Panama