Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2019, 13:22   #31

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Alternative placement of anchor light (other than at the masthead)

The regulation states
Quote:
(c) A vessel at anchor may , and a vessel of 100 meters and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.
So it makes sense to use the simplicity of an LED mast head tri-color anchor light combo and then add in a deck level LED light for better viewability.
Old 30-01-2019, 16:20   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

So a tiki torch on a pigstick wouldn't make it easier to tell which one was your boat?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 19:27   #33

Boat: Hudson 50

I agree with this comment. I have a traditional mast head light on he tri-color but I try to keep some lights on near the waterline. I think it prevents nighttime collisions .
Old 31-01-2019, 18:08   #34

Way back in my early days of sail.

I used an oil lamp, hung on the fore stay about 5 ft above the fore deck. Where it could be seen almost unobstructed from any direction except by the masts.

I can’t be bothered cleaning oil lamps so today I have a small battery operated White led which is actually from an emergency or back up set of leds for a small power boat.

Someone else can quote the rule
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:42   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
Way back in my early days of sail.

I used an oil lamp, hung on the fore stay about 5 ft above the fore deck. Where it could be seen almost unobstructed from any direction except by the masts.

I can’t be bothered cleaning oil lamps so today I have a small battery operated White led which is actually from an emergency or back up set of leds for a small power boat.
Yep Jack, technology and mankind have moved on. There is no longer a market to trade paraffin in the South Pacific like Slocum. (BTW, what the hell exactly is paraffin anyway? I don't remember seeing it at Publix or Carrefour lately).

When I was young I was mesmerized and really respected the writings of the Pardeys. But I honestly don't understand the paranoia to avoid anything electrical. Today a solar panel, a little battery and some LEDs are nearly 100% reliable. Cost next to nothing.

Your oil lamps are cool as hell, but they likely just decorate a shelf at home these days.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:58   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

[QUOTE=makobuilders;2815504 (BTW, what the hell exactly is paraffin anyway? I don't remember seeing it at Publix or Carrefour lately).[/QUOTE]

Essential it's kerosene. The name varies depending on what country you are in.

But that's not the whole story. Paraffin is often more refined to reduce the "kerosene" smell and amount of soot when used use indoors.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:14   #37

I have my stern light wired to a separate breaker, that way I can turn on only my steaming light and stern light if I want. Presto, a 360* white light down low! As our boat is low and wide, we often put Luci lights on the floats.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:29   #38

Boat: 55 fleming

Back in the day (some years ago) the anchor light was hoisted on the fore stay of sail boats. Boat above a certain size require more than the single white.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:57   #39

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

In the US & Canada there are requirements that call for SPECIFIC degrees of visibility, specific distances and all depending on the size of the vessel for all NAVIGATION lights on a boat. This is covered in a document called COLREGS.

Here's a link that shows lights and how they are displayed AND might cover any other ideas you could have to skirt safety issues (https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF).

IF more info is required (Google, sometimes is your friend).

You can speak to what is inconvenient or what you don't like AND you can be sued, it boils down to what is less expensive. Maritime law usually dispenses justice proportionally. Illegal lights will certainly shift the proportion more on your boat.

You can also consider what is going to be helpful to someone else (I know, an unusual thought) motoring on a waterway at night or in inclement weather (times when you would need those specific lights) someone might like to see that masthead light, from a 360 degree view, which is a required light.

Other light pollution, deck or cabin lights, can blur a view of a boat or meld it into the background light so it looks like a shore side item. Also, not a good idea and remember how maritime law proportions responsibility.

The whole idea of NAV lights, is you are trying to be seen, distinguished from other items, by specific lights in specific positions.

BTW, boats are an expensive item. Keeping, maintaining, pampering, upgrading are all parts of boat ownership. IF it costs money to do things the right way, then you'd better spend the money to do it that way. Short cuts are usually more expensive in the long run.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:53   #40

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepidae View Post
In the US & Canada there are requirements that call for SPECIFIC degrees of visibility, specific distances and all depending on the size of the vessel for all NAVIGATION lights on a boat. This is covered in a document called COLREGS.

[...]

Charles,

I am confused by your post and am not sure I understand what you're responding to. Anchor lights are covered in Rule 30 of the COLREGS. Leaving aside provisions that only apply to vessels over 50 meters in length, the salient part of Rule 30 reads: "A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen: ... an all-around white light." The technical specifications for anchor lights are in the Annex I, section 9 (b) which specifies: "All-around lights shall be so located as not to be obscured by masts, topmasts, or structures within angular sectors of more than 6 degrees, except anchor lights prescribed in Rule 30, which need not be placed at an impracticable height above the hull." Annex I, section 9(c) allows use of two all-around lights where it is not practicable to achieve all-around coverage due to obstructions.

Other sections cover minimum intensity, color, vertical sectors, and other subjects that only pertain to the design of the light itself and not its placement on the vessel.

I do not believe that the top of the mast is necessarily the location where an anchor light can "best be seen" because of the ease with which it can be mistaken for a light ashore, and because it is too high to be readily visible to the smaller, lower vessels most likely to pose a risk of collision in an anchorage at night.

It is my understanding of the COLREGS that placement of two all-around white lights, on either side of the mast, at a more modest height (say, 10 or 15 feet above deck), would be fully in compliance with the letter and spirit of the COLREGS, and would constitute good seamanship. Lights on the backstay or radar arch would likewise be fully compliant.

Perhaps you can point out portions of the COLREGS that I do not understand.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:09   #41

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the foretriangle. It used to be the preferrred location...at least, when anchor lights were oil lamps
We hang a electric (LED) all around light in the foretriangle, higher than the boom, and it swings enough so that it is even visible from directly astern.

We also have a mast head light but, as with all masthead lights, we find that as one approaches a boat in a dingy or panga they are looking straight ahead of themselves, not craning their necks back to look into the sky, and even then it is often not easy to relate that "nearby (or distant) star" to a boat right in front of them.

A light which is a lot closer to your normal field of vision better informs you of where it is relative to your own position than one which is nearly overhead.

So we always use the foretriangle anchor light.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:20   #42

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
as not to be obscured by masts, topmasts, or structures within angular sectors of more than 6 degrees
Correct, and even without the exception for anchor lights, a light 8 feet forward of a normal sailboat mast will not be obscured for more than 6 degrees (more like 5.5 degrees for a mast with a section width of 7") and normal swinging makes it visible ALL around.
Old 04-02-2019, 13:53   #43

Boat: Steel Swain 36 Cutter

Legalities aside, masthead anchor lights are pretty much useless to dinghys zooming around at night in a crowded anchorage. If it was up to me, all boats would show a deck level anchor light of some sort. With LEDs using so little power, there is really no excuse not to show one.
opusnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 16:23   #44

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Bahia, 46'

COLREGS actually specify a single light.
I light suspended from the boom meets the rules. It's not blocked by the mast for more than 6 degrees, as long as nothing else blocks it. Same with one on the forestay.
An anchor light on the boom is more visible up close than the one on my boat, 66' up. I leave a deck or cockpit light on if I'm expecting traffic.

I do get a kick out of the super yachts with a red on the top of their mast. A reg, but not a COLREG.
rramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 13:39   #45

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

Interpretation.

That is what makes lawyers rich.

I stated that the COLREGS specify a 360 degree light on the mast. Pictures in the pamphlet show a light at the top of the mast, 360 degrees.

I suggested that any changes, or maybe I should have added, personal interpretations, in a SHTF scenario, will have a maritime court assessing responsibility for the incident.

Maybe, but not likely, a small boat would hit you because they interpreted your mast light as a light at the top of the Empire State Building. IF your involved in that type of an incident, then the court will rule mostly in your favor. IF you have moved your light to a different location than what is normally proscribed by COLREGS and used by most boats, then the ruling could go the opposite way.

1 of the great things about our US of A is that people are allowed to make their own judgements. IF yours is to move your lights, then you can do that, but another of the good ole US of A advantages, is if you do that, you could suffer the consequences.

IT's your choice and if you feel the benefit outweighs the potential downside, go right ahead.

Me, I'll stay with what I have.

BTW, when doing the Loop, which we are doing now, I lowered my anchor light. Since we were either on a wall or marina it wasn't needed. I took that risk, especially on a wall.

Good luck with your choices.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, head, mast, men