Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2018, 03:30   #1

Anchor dragging by night, 45 knots wind, 1.5 m waves, between 3 boats and the beach

Hi,

I had a bit of troubles last week end when being at anchored !

Queensland happen to have sever thunderstorm that are forecasted only couple of hours before they arrive....

I did put all the chain i had out, but it didn't help and I started dragging (fast), by night, with 45 / 50 knots of winds, 1.5 meter waves, and stuck in between 3 boats and the beach.

I ended up fighting the elements for 30 minutes trying more or less to keep the boat in the tiny space that i had.

With the engine full on forward, the anchor still in the water (I have no windlass, and the time to go and pull the anchor manually, without considering the wind effect, I would have ended up on the beach very quicky...) It was very hard to keep the boat facing the waves / wind. Each time a gust came, it was pushing the boat on the side either closer to the beach or to another boat...

I knew that the storm was going to be short and that it was a matter of time before it calm down... So i kept fighting with the engine...
But i am now questioning what I could have done better in this situation.

(I already put a second anchor and chain on board ! )

Any ideas ?
kriskro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 03:37   #2

Re: Anchore dragging by night, 45 knots wind, 1.5 m waves, between 3 boats and the be

What about leaving the place? I know it's not tge best knews to the crew that you're about to ride out in the storm instead of dinner...
Old 15-02-2018, 03:46   #3

Re: Anchore dragging by night, 45 knots wind, 1.5 m waves, between 3 boats and the be

That is true that I would have feel more confortable in the deeper water that close to the beach... but the anchorage was feeling enough sheltered to handle it (3 over boats were rocking a lot, but hold very well) another one a bit further was a bit less lucky and ended up on the beach..
Old 15-02-2018, 04:08   #4

Boat: Maxi 999

Buoy the anchor and chain and leave?
Assuming it can be done easily (no tools needed) I would have at least considered it. I use a rope rode + chain so all I'd need is a fender to use as buoy...
Very hard to know what one would actually have done though, and you seem to have managed quite well given the circumstances.
ottow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 04:16   #5

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Just curious, what type of anchor and size were you using? I am just guessing here but not a Mantus?
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 04:31   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchore dragging by night, 45 knots wind, 1.5 m waves, between 3 boats and the be

Hard to say not knowing size of boat, depth, amount of chain out.. and most of all bottom, sandy beach type or muddy estuary type.
However initial feeling is if it was a short lived storm and you had 1.5metre waves you were anchored to close in to shore.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 04:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskro View Post
but the anchorage was feeling enough sheltered to handle it (3 over boats were rocking a lot, but hold very well) another one a bit further was a bit less lucky and ended up on the beach..
What kind of anchors did those boats have? Could you give a bit more details about your situation (anchor model, weight, boat, ground...)?
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 05:12   #8

I was staying at tangalooma resort on moreton island, 27°09'58.6"S 153°22'13.9"E

4 meter depth when i dropped the anchor. not sure about the distance from the beach, but would say between 50m and 100m. I know there is a strong tidal current when the tide goes down. It may have played. Bottom is all sandy.

There is a little sand bar that it formed by the wreck and that shelter a little bit the anchorage area. But at high tide, it may let pass quite a lot the swell. Anchor is a CQR type, 25 lbs and i must have had 60 metres of chain (8mm) out is think...

The boat is 30 ft, about 5000 lbs i believe.

But basically, once it is too late and that you are already dragging , seems the only remaining option available is to let the anchor go (attach a fender if possible), and go with the wind instead of fighting it. if possible reach the open waters and not stay so close from other boats and the shore..
Old 15-02-2018, 05:18   #9

I was not the only one in trouble apparently !

https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/201...evere-weather/
Old 15-02-2018, 05:18   #10

Where is the location?

It may have been one heck of a squall or it may just have seemed like 1.5m waves but that sounds like it may have been an exposed anchorage not suitable for overnight anchoring.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 05:20   #11

Boat: Leopard 39

What a God-awful situation. You didn't mention time of day, so I'll assume it was end of day or night, and you and your crew were tired. Pilots are always warned about "get-there-itis," how the push to arrive at a destination can affect our decision making from lift-off through approach. That applies to cruising as well; but once we've moored for the day in what we deem a safe harbor, we have a tendency to want to tough out the conditions there until we leave. I think that that mindset sometimes betrays us, especially when we're tired, when weather changes radically. You did the right thing, as you prevailed; I'd have been sorely tempted to buoy the anchor chain, make for deep water, and heave to until the storm passed. That might have worked, but what you did DEFINITELY worked.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 05:30   #12

here are the pics of the nasty thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180211_184201petite.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	164204   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180211_185412petite.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	164205  

Old 15-02-2018, 05:31   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchore dragging by night, 45 knots wind, 1.5 m waves, between 3 boats and the be

That explains the wave's.. if they were coming over the bar.. its what I would call a fair weather anchorage.. surfers love these.
I would suggest you switch your CQR for a claw type anchor.. I would say a Bruce but seems the real deal is no longer available.. maybe a Blugel the next size up from the weight recommended for your boat.. seems you already have all chain.
Also.. make allowances for depth at low water.. if you were in 4metre's, assuming you anchored at near high water, that would have you in about 7ft at low water assuming a 2metre rise and fall.. the nearer the beach the greater the wave action.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tangalooma.jpg
Views:	1218
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	164206  

Old 15-02-2018, 06:00   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Your CQR anchor dragged. It is an anchor design notorious for dragging.

Of course any anchor can drag if improperly set, or if the bottom is poor holding material, or if fouled by its chain or rode, or if fouled on the bottom, such as picking up a stick or even a plastic bag or other debris. But, even when using proper scope and chain rode, the CQR has been reported countless times as an anchor design that tends to plow a furrow in the bottom, or dragging when the wind force increases to strong winds.

Which is why they are often sold very low price (used) or literally "given away" now that the more reliable New Generation anchors are widely available and being adopted by sailors.

Which is why they are often sold very low price (used) or literally "given away" now that the more reliable New Generation anchors are widely available and being adopted by sailors.

If I were in your boat shoes, I would purchase a New Gen anchor (Spade, Sarca Excel, ROCNA, Mantus) with chain rode, for next time. Many sailors say they sleep easier after that switch.

If you have not done so already, watch the excellent anchor setting videos produced by PANOPE.

There is also a long running discussion thread that Steve started on Cruisers Forum. It has 300+ posts, numerous (50+) videos posted and described, many questions asked and answered, participation and some debate with a few anchor manufacturer reps or distributors, and a wide ranging discussion about what types of anchors are favored by cruisers and why. If you want to learn a lot, start reading the thread and watch every video in his series. But, that will take many hours. The backbone of the thread are the excellent videos that Steve produced. I have watched all of them.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-155412.html

I suggest you first watch the compilation video linked below, because it is short and gives his summary of his opinions at that time, and his personal choice and reasons for choosing them. Then, if you want to see more about a particular anchor, search his other videos on YouTube or within that thread to find a particular anchor. The compilation is a brief summary only.

In addition, you can see many photos and descriptions of various anchors being set, in the following excellent discussion started by NOELEX77. In this discussion thread, which has 2,600 posted comments and many photos, you will see a range of opinions on the best anchor and why some are preferred.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-126073.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 06:16   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
CQR is what dragged. It is an anchor design notorious for dragging.

If I were in your boat shoes, I would purchase a New Gen anchor (Spade, Sarca Excel, ROCNA, Mantus) with chain rode, for next time. Many sailors say they sleep easier after that switch.

If you have not done so already, watch the excellent anchor setting videos produced by PANOPE.

There is also a long running discussion thread that Steve started on Cruisers Forum. It has 300+ posts, numerous (50+) videos posted and described, many questions asked and answered, participation and some debate with a few anchor manufacturer reps or distributors, and a wide ranging discussion about what types of anchors are favored by cruisers and why. If you want to learn a lot, start reading the thread and watch every video in his series. But, that will take many hours. The backbone of the thread are the excellent videos that Steve produced. I have watched all of them.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-155412.html

I suggest you first watch the compilation video linked below, because it is short and gives his summary of his opinions at that time, and his personal choice and reasons for choosing them. Then, if you want to see more about a particular anchor, search his other videos on YouTube or within that thread to find a particular anchor. The compilation is a brief summary only.

In addition, you can see many photos and descriptions of various anchors being set, in the following excellent discussion started by NOELEX77. In this discussion thread, which has 2,600 posted comments and many photos, you will see a range of opinions on the best anchor and why some are preferred.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-126073.html
To be honest I think many anchors would have struggled in those conditions unless they had been bedded in for a few days before the blow.
A recently arrived boat would not have bedded deep enough not to have been affected by the wave action in such an open anchorage.. just have to stand knee deep on a beach with waves to feel the sand being swirled and shifted around ones feet making a hole you sink into yet does not grip.

Tags
anchor, boat, knot, wind