Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 22:39   #31

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: Anchor light on Mizzen mast?

Besides the masthead light we always use a small light suspended under the bimini which casts a nice glow over the white cockpit for close-up visibility, or we can use a permanent cockpit light mounted under the cockpit cover. But the best scheme I've seen is dual spreader lights left on, especially if you have a white mast. With LED now, it is more reasonable due to the low current draw.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 00:21   #32

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Besides the masthead light we always use a small light suspended under the bimini which casts a nice glow over the white cockpit for close-up visibility, or we can use a permanent cockpit light mounted under the cockpit cover. But the best scheme I've seen is dual spreader lights left on, especially if you have a white mast. With LED now, it is more reasonable due to the low current draw.
I use one of those Davis ights and just hang it under the boom... if I think there is a chance of traffic I just leave the deck light on.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:42   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

As I recall an anchor light must be visible for 360 degrees. So placing it on the mizzenmast would cause the main mast to obstruct it to forward. While this is not a significant obstruction - in a crash some -- a lawyer will find fault there.

I prefer to have the anchor light where it should be, at the top of the main mast and then have some deck lighting. One can light the spreader lights or some low power LEDs in the cockpit

This added lighting makes the vessel legally compliant and safe in the real world.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:08   #34

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Notice that in the definitions an anchor light is not defined.

Notice that an all around is "a light" not a white light. That's because all arounds can be yellow red green as well.

Notice a Masthead is a white light showing 225 on centerline.

These are all definitions. The other rules state how they are to be exhibited.

Consider a Masthead light at 2/3 mast position. Exhibited when under power on a sailboat, maybe even motorsailing. Why doesn't anyone say it must be at the masthead because it is not displayed in an unbroken arc. Partially blocked by the sail, furled or unfurled.

By definition an all around is a light showing 360.

By rule 30 an anchor light is a white all around exhibited where it can best be seen. The rule states two options.

For all vessels,

(a) one in the fore part, and a second at or near the stern lower than the first.

or for vessels less than 50 meters

(b) an all around white light exhibited where can best be seen.

All subject to interpretation it seems.

But for me, my opinion, my opinion. There is a difference between designed and defined to shine or show through 225 or 360 degrees. And being used or exhibited to be visible through 225 or 360.

Hence the wording of the rules.

Rule 30 doesn't say an anchor light must be visible 360. Many interpret to mean so.

How would one exhibit an all around in the forepart and another lower at stern and have them be visible 360. Yet that is the mounting positions 30(a) requires.

Which is why it states where it can best be seen. And (b) states a single white all around where can best be seen.

That's my thoughts on the subject. And last expression of them here.
Old 08-08-2017, 16:22   #35

Boat: Pearson

worry not,your mizzen probably equals a 22' sloop main, thanks for lighten up.👌
Old 09-08-2017, 05:53   #36

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

The rules are very simple. At anchor a 360 deg white light. Under power a 225 deg steaming light forward and above (I think it's 10' or so) the navigation lights (port, starboard, stern). They apply to motorboats including sailboats under power over 7 meters. Large boats have somewhat different requirements. If in an accident and not in compliance you are vulnerable to a smart lawyer. An anchor light not on top of your highest mast will not have 360 viability and is non compliant but it's a free country. I believe these rules do apply internationally.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:54   #37
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
The rules are very simple. At anchor a 360 deg white light. Under power a 225 deg steaming light forward and above (I think it's 10' or so) the navigation lights (port, starboard, stern). They apply to motorboats including sailboats under power over 7 meters. Large boats have somewhat different requirements. If in an accident and not in compliance you are vulnerable to a smart lawyer. An anchor light not on top of your highest mast will not have 360 viability and is non compliant but it's a free country. I believe these rules do apply internationally.
Depends really if you want to use something which you regard as compliant and risk getting hit by a water taxi, dinghy or little open fishing boat in the middle of the night in a great many anchorages or something which actually works, bright and low.

Are there any actual legal cases involving anchor lights not at the top of the mast?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:02   #38

COREGS are a minimum. While not having your anchor light on top of your highest mast would not be visible for a full 360 and thus a violation the rule is a minimum. You can hang white lights all over your boat to increase its visibility without causing confusion.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:15   #39
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
COREGS are a minimum. While not having your anchor light on top of your highest mast would not be visible for a full 360 and thus a violation the rule is a minimum. You can hang white lights all over your boat to increase its visibility without causing confusion.
No point wasting power for no reason, know if there have ever been any actual legal cases involving bright enough anchor lights not at the top of the mast?

Unlikely in so many places I anchor in, all sorts from strobes to garden lights which don't even make it through the night..
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:49   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Under power a 225 deg steaming light forward and above (I think it's 10' or so) the navigation lights (port, starboard, stern). They apply to motorboats including sailboats under power over 7 meters.
An alternative legal light configuration under power is a white all round (anchor at top of mast) and lower red/green. This is legal for a boat under 12 meters either power or sailboat under power.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:06   #41

"No point wasting power for no reason, know if there have ever been any actual legal cases involving bright enough anchor lights not at the top of the mast?"

On the real world filing systems are not that specific. You would have to look up accidents involving anchored boats where the defendant was anchored and was found liable. Then you would have to dig out the facts to see if he was found liable for failure to comply with COREGS on anchor lights or something else. That might not show up in the written decision so you might have to read the transcript. So if you want to save a few cents ignore the COREGS and cross your fingers. This is not the place for me to comment on the wisdom of such a plan.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:21   #42
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
An alternative legal light configuration under power is a white all round (anchor at top of mast) and lower red/green. This is legal for a boat under 12 meters either power or sailboat under power.

Negative! Showing red/green running lights while at anchor is not legal.

ONCE AGAIN, the only legal and real world safe solution is to have a 360 light at the top of the mast and some lighting at deck level. The dock level can be the foredeck work light, some courtesy lights, a light in the rigging or in the cockpit.

While one can rationalize all they want- legal compliance is legal compliance.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 09-08-2017, 12:50   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Negative! Showing red/green running lights while at anchor is not legal.

ONCE AGAIN, the only legal and real world safe solution is to have a 360 light at the top of the mast and some lighting at deck level. The dock level can be the foredeck work light, some courtesy lights, a light in the rigging or in the cockpit.

While one can rationalize all they want- legal compliance is legal compliance.
Read my post again. I was not referring to being at anchor, but under power and I was answering another post also about being under power.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 13:00   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Read my post again. I was not referring to being at anchor, but under power and I was answering another post also about being under power.

My bad.
Old 09-08-2017, 13:43   #45

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
I refer you back to post #28 and Rule 30 .. it is not essential to put it at the top of the mast. Of course 'where it can best be seen' is open to interpretation.... where will it be seen best? .. but lets not go down that road again..

'Rule 30
Anchored vessels and vessels aground.......

(b) A vessel of less than 50 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 metres and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.'

Once again I say again....A little knowledge can indeed be a dangerous thing

Tags
anchor, mast