Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 13:49   #46
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Anchor light on Mizzen mast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
"No point wasting power for no reason, know if there have ever been any actual legal cases involving bright enough anchor lights not at the top of the mast?"

On the real world filing systems are not that specific. You would have to look up accidents involving anchored boats where the defendant was anchored and was found liable. Then you would have to dig out the facts to see if he was found liable for failure to comply with COREGS on anchor lights or something else. That might not show up in the written decision so you might have to read the transcript. So if you want to save a few cents ignore the COREGS and cross your fingers. This is not the place for me to comment on the wisdom of such a plan.
Certainly a good idea to have something up top, but a newbie reading this might get the idea that the colreg police will be out at dusk and decide against something bright down low, bright and low is what will stop the night time traffic hitting you in the real world. After that you can worry about the finer details of the IRPCS.

Like annex 1 9:B:i

Quote:
(b)
(i) All-round lights shall be so located as not to be obscured by masts, topmasts or structures within angular sectors of more than 6°, except anchor lights prescribed in Rule 30, which need not be placed at an impractical height above the hull.
Quick scribble hints that mine hanging off the anchor ball up front is obscured by the mast about 4 or 5 degrees.

Phew, I wouldn't have slept a wink without knowing that
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 14:24   #47

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Anchor light on Mizzen mast?

Thank you conachair for that post.

Knew I had read that, but lacked the ambition to read the whole thing once again to find it.

Someone said the COLREGS are simple. And they are, but they are fragmented. Each fragment means exactly what it says, nothing more. All fragments together illuminate any issue.

One characteristic of a light is in the definition, visibility or range requirements in another rule, how mounted for use in yet another rule, and even further qualifications to ability to observe a light in another rule.

It's a leap of logic, and in error, to deduce that a light designed to shine 360 must be mounted so as to be visible by other boaters thru 360. It's an easy deduction to make, but the regs don't support that position.

Sorry, I said I would say no more here. I need to finish cleaning my hull anyway. And install a new galley pump. So I'm out.

Tags
anchor, mast