Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2013, 11:41   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Anchor Stowed on Bobstay

Pardey, Oriental Adventure, page 105:

Here's a bit more:

Quote:
But each time we set off on a more than one-day voyage, Larry would go forward and shove the anchor farther up the bobstay wire, so that its flukes were above Seraffyn's normal bow wave. Then he'd secure a gasket around the anchor chain and the cathead on the windlass. The only way the anchor could get loose then was in the unlikely event that we broke off the bowsprit.
I have seen some people rig a short length of steel cable with a snap hook on the end that basically locks the anchor in place when on the bobstay or roller, though I think I would just use a couple of extra lines. Of course, modern anchors like Rocnas and Mansons, have a lot of surface area to get hit by a wave.
Old 23-02-2013, 12:07   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use a safety line for securing my anchors to my bowsprit mounted anchors to my bow pulpit when i am under way. if it is a lively passage, longer line and to the (samson posts) bits, centerline, aftmost part of bowsprit,OR, i have a rough seas plan,, stowing the anchor closer to mast, on deck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 11:09   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Zee,
I'm with you on this one.
To the other posters here, if "Larry and Lynn jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?"
They also cruised without an engine and depended a lot on the kindness of others to get them into tight spots. That isn't something I'd do except in an emergency.
kind regards,
Old 24-02-2013, 11:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Zee,
I'm with you on this one.
To the other posters here, if "Larry and Lynn jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?"
kind regards,
If they said they had a technique for bridge jumping that's worked for twenty years, yeah, I probably would give it a spin.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 12:14   #20

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
Having meet the Pardeys a few times, I would be very inclined to trust their judgement. An incredible amount of sea time and experience.
Old 24-02-2013, 18:54   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I will not disagree with you about Lynn and Larry's experience and their success in cruising. They know a lot and have given loads of good advice. They've written some really great books.
I will state that I have to follow my own instincts when it comes to things that I might question.
Old 24-02-2013, 19:08   #22

Boat: Seafarer36c

Is it really that admirable to leave out your engine and install a bath tub in it's place? I can think of much better things to do than take a bath in a little cramped space in probably tepid salt water. I love my wife but that is going to far. No one is dissing the Pardey's but let's be real. For most everybody, moving along in a passage is better than just sitting around for days feeling old school.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:42   #23

Boat: Caliber LRC 35’

Quote:
Originally Posted by model 10 View Post
Is it really that admirable to leave out your engine and install a bath tub in it's place? I can think of much better things to do than take a bath in a little cramped space in probably tepid salt water. I love my wife but that is going to far. No one is dissing the Pardey's but let's be real. For most everybody, moving along in a passage is better than just sitting around for days feeling old school.
I agree with the concern on storing an anchor on a bobstay, especially outside a protected bay or anywhere actually. But I have a diésel engine and an anchor platform on a short bowsprit. If, like the Pardy’s, I didn’t have an engine and only a post for a bowsprit. I might think differently. It’s all just a question of managing risks…and without an engine, I’d want an anchor I could deploy quickly. No so sure about the bathtub!

I hope this photo will post. It’s a clear image of their CRQ hooked under a bobstay that seems to be bending quite a bit. At least I think that’s what I’m seeing….
https://www.cruisingworld.com/resize...BKAYPK2DNQ.jpg
SV.StellaMaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:16   #24

Boat: Caliber LRC 35’

Click image for larger version

Name:	3695FB0A-B838-425F-BF20-D91591FAD505.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	241866

Ah! Finally figured out how to add a photo within the post. Here’s a pic of the Pardy’s anchor tucked under the bobstay.
SV.StellaMaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 16:50   #25

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

They knew ...truly knew, how to build a wooden boat. Some of his ideas were...well, unique. For a wood bowsprit, anchor rollers should be on a casting that wraps around the bowsprit. The rollers, one each side, would be supported by an axle either over or under but never through the spar. He used lighter duty rollers mounted on the side and lag bolted into the wood which was definitely not the preferred way as it weakened the spar. I’ve seen Luke anchors carried with the crown cross the gammon iron but never hooked on the bobstay. I had seen Friendship Sloops carry a fisherman anchor on the side of the bowsprit but never hooked on the whisker stay and never...ever...on the bobstay.
He did things differently. Very risky. I’d never do it and my bobstay and bowsprit on my Bruce King cutter was substantially stronger.
Happy trails to you
Mark and the manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 17:04   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Old thread.

We have a 5’ bow sprit. I had to replace it and made it out of Stainless. I also moved the rollers further forward to:
Not snag the bib stay up or down
Fit a new generation roll bar anchor

We did some passages where the anchor SLAMMED back. Not good.

What we do now is to tie the anchor back snugly against the roller. Then it is held in place wuite well and is far less effected by waves.

We wont be demounting it and moving it soon as it is 125 pounds of Mantus.

The other day we rode out Elsa on the hood. Not a terrible big deal, gusts to 35. Picking uo the anchor the next day was sweet. It had buried itself in the softish mud right up to the shackel. The entire shaft was coated with the sticky stuff.

Anyway, securing the anchor in place has worked for us.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:20   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I often hook my anchor on the bobstay when moving from one quiet anchorage to another--for example, hopping a few miles behind the reef in San Blas. But having caught a few seas on the anchor so stowed once or twice, I would never go to sea or into open water with the anchor there.
I'm sure the Pardeys didn't either. The drag that would create to a boat heeled over and sailing hard in any sort of sea would be unacceptable to anyone who appreciates the need to keep a boat going efficiently.
For me it is a useful occasional measure for quiet water and convenience. I'm sure for them it was was well.

Tags
anchor