Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2020, 09:02   #31

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch
Re: Anchoring in Heavy Grass & Weed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonater View Post
In the Pacific Northwest where I cruise, we’re taught not to anchor in eelgrass (seagrass) beds. Seagrass meadows provide critical habitats for juvenile fish, including herring and salmon, crabs, and a host of other important marine life. Recent scientific studies demonstrate seagrass meadows filter marine pollution and protect humans from harmful bacteria found in sewage and land runoff.

Anchors and anchor rodes tear up seagrass beds. Meadows in popular anchorages have been damaged or destroyed. Most cruisers here anchor <30’ or use mooring buoys provided by county and state authorities to minimize seagrass impacts at popular locations.

I suspect the ‘heavy grass and weed’ where you are trying to anchor provide similar ecological services. Moreover, seagrass meadows are not good holding grounds. I recommend you anchor in deeper water, secure your boat, and help protect the marine environment we all enjoy as cruisers.
Great point. No seagrass in the deeper anchorages. Won't work for all cruising areas but we almost always have a choice of destinations and it's easy to look up the depths and bottom conditions ahead of time.

When we arrived in the PNW last year and found that many of the anchorages we really wanted to visit were twice or more as deep as we're used to (maxing out our 300' of primary rode), we invested in 500' of HT chain and love the freedom to anchor just about anywhere!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 09:18   #32

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Having lots of rode definitely gives options. Even in the Great Lakes I went for 390 feet of rode (probably 375 - 380 usable) when I re-did my setup this winter (the odd number is from starting with a 90 foot pail of chain and adding 300 feet of nylon).

It's not uncommon for me to anchor for the day on a weekend and be in 30 - 50 feet of water to find a good spot. The good shallow spots are often packed with small boats, so it's nice to be able to just pick one of the non-crowded spots that stays deep fairly close in.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 09:34   #33
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

We almost never anchor in more than 20 feet of water. Usually it is 8-12'. In some places we are good in 6' if there is no tide. At 4'3" draft and a full keel that is careenable we can usually find a spot near shore in even the most crowded of anchorages. If we bump the bottom at low tide it's not a big deal if there are no rocks or coral.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 10:53   #34

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
Take ASA 101, 103, and 104.
So once you've taken those courses and learned a bit about sailing, will you share with the beginners here your awesome knowledge?

Sorry, but I'm ASA 104 qualified. It's a crock, with minimal value for a beginner and no value for an experienced sailor. I took it to have it if I ever want to charter in Europe (they don't care if you've sailed around the world -- if you haven't paid some hack school for a few hours of training, you are nobody. And, no, I've not sailed around the world, but a buddy of mine who has can't charter in Europe).

It would be really helpful if you shared your personal experience with multiple anchor types and multiple bottom types, and how you dealt with those (please include the size of boat and wind conditions you dealt with). I'm sure in your iteration of the ASA courses, they gave you a chance to have hands on experience that way, didn't they?

I rarely if ever get aggressive on this site. But your snippy, superior, post that implies the boat owner with several hundred posts, who is out there with his boat doing actual hands-on observations and contemplation, and the numerous thoughtful posts by other very experienced sailors are just in over their heads, and makes me wonder if your small number of posts, lack of a listed sailboat, and espousing a profiteering sailing school -- well, I'm not sure you have much credibility!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 11:16   #35

Hi Salmonater

Yes I agree wholeheartedly that sea grass environments need to be protected and here in the Med where I am, they are protected by law within marine conservation areas.

I was referring to the slimy flat weed bottoms that we all try to avoid but sometimes have no alternative. I'm sure that there are little critters down there that don't appreciate an anchor and chain grinding up their environment but that's probably true of clear mud and sand bottoms also.
IanTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 15:15   #36
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post

Sorry, but I'm ASA 104 qualified. It's a crock, with minimal value for a beginner and no value for an experienced sailor. I took it to have it if I ever want to charter in Europe (they don't care if you've sailed around the world -- if you haven't paid some hack school for a few hours of training, you are nobody. And, no, I've not sailed around the world, but a buddy of mine who has can't charter in Europe).

100% hit the nail on the head.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 19:21   #37

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
100% hit the nail on the head.
100% off topic, but I just have to say that a black heron is a beautiful bird!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 22:10   #38

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Hi UFO,

may be hard to get hold off, but quite a few yachts at Fremantle Sailing Club have a Swarbrick anchor, which is similar to an admiralty. Locally designed for anchoring in weeds. They also appear to store fairly well. Some pictures in this link

Pachuca Circumnavigation: Swarbrick Anchor

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 22:29   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefrediam View Post
I have a 30kg Budgel anchor (on a 12m 14 ton yacht) and have only had problems with weed once. It was at Studland bay in about 4 - 5 meters of water.
Funny old thing, one of the few places we have dragged too, with the Rocna. Set okay second time.

Just going down the garden to recover the fisherman anchor next to the pond
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 22:31   #40

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

When we arrived in the Abacos, we discovered that our 30kg Bruce wouldn’t penetrate the grass we found there. Anchoring somewhere else was not an option. We ended up using tandem anchors, two Bruce anchors (a 30kg and a 20kg) on the same chain and even though neither anchors set well, we didn’t drag when we backed down hard nor did we drag when the winds hit the mid-30s. Still, it wasn’t an ideal situation but sometimes you have to do the best you can with what you’ve got.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 06:00   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've anchored in the Abaco's a gazillion times....true.....grass is in a lot of places, but with such clear water visibility, the bottom is easily seen.

When singlehanding, my approach has always been to lower the anchor to within a foot or so off the bottom..and then let the boat drift back a little and as soon as a clear spot appeared, very quickly lower the anchor the finally foot in the clear spot and then pay out the rode. I try to find these spots as I come into an anchorage area.

You may have to move about a bit to find a clear spot, but I have always managed to find one.

The clear spots are easily seen as you approach an anchorage area. Get as close as you think you can from the stern of your boat and then move forward to the anchor.

Having someone on the helm, obviously eliminates you running back and forth.

I've watched so many people come into an anchorage and think all they have to do is just lower the anchor willy nilly and they will be set.

Not the case, besides all the different types of anchors and rode selections, anchoring requires a bit of common sense and due diligence and looking for the right spot.

The Abaco's (and B'mas in general) suffer from poor holding in many places...you typically get 6" of beach sand over a hard marl. Sometimes, you have to try a few spots before you find that one spot.

Successful anchoring is as much an art as it it gear selection !

Charterers are especially clueless about anchoring. I've seen charter boats come and drop the anchor straight down with 10' of chain out and expecting to hold.

Sometimes, your first attempt will not be successful. Just bring the anchor up and try again in a different spot.

You don't want to wake up in the middle of the night to find you have drug your anchor and drifted a 1/4 mile.

Additionally, I've anchored in places, only to discover one anchor fluke has found a hole in the marl, which required diving on the anchor to extricate from the hole.

Prior to hurricane Dorian, moorings were starting to proliferate at all the popular anchorages. I'm not a fan of moorings, but some people like them. Off course, post Dorian, the moorings are all gone as is most everything else.....

Much has been written about different anchor selection, but the reality is that you must go out yourself and practice.

Finally, just about every sailor worth his salt, will have several different anchors in his arsenal. If one doesn't work, Try another.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 10:50   #42

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
Hi UFO,

may be hard to get hold off, but quite a few yachts at Fremantle Sailing Club have a Swarbrick anchor, which is similar to an admiralty. Locally designed for anchoring in weeds. They also appear to store fairly well. Some pictures in this link Pachuca Circumnavigation: Swarbrick AnchorIlenart
Swarbrick anchor looks cool, I like the removable fluke that should stow well.

Know where to get it or similar removable fluke fisherman/admiralty style?
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 11:05   #43

Boat: a sailing boat

Use the heaviest anchor with the sharpest tip. Avoid Danforth, Bruce and CQR.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 13:22   #44

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
Swarbrick anchor looks cool, I like the removable fluke that should stow well.

Know where to get it or similar removable fluke fisherman/admiralty style?
I believe the Swarbrick anchors are no longer in production. Would have to look for a second hand one.
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 16:42   #45

Boat: Bonaventura 50ft PORTO SANTO

For anchoring in a grass on sand the best anchor is a fisherman type one.In grass and mud the best is a Danforth, in both cases with enough chain for the depth and a good "anchor watch". I learned this after 40 years cruising the Portugal coast,islands and rivers, Mediterranean, Brasil and Caribe.I carry both,but usualy I use a old 65 lb CQR with 12 mm chain.My boat is a heavy displacement stell ketch (29t 50f).
Porto Santo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, grass