Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 12:30   #91

Re: Anchoring When You Have Engine Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Most anchors have a fitting for a trip line, so why not use it (I have lost two anchors because I didn't, am waiting on diver to dive on one now).
Anchoring under sail should not be a skill that you keep in your "bag of tricks" in case the engine fails, there is no reason why not to do it as often as possible.
Trip lines and anchor buoys reduce the number of vessels who can anchor in a given space. I have seen a suggestion of lightly lashing a line to the chain so it can be used in case of fouling.

jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 13:50   #92

Quote:
Most anchors have a fitting for a trip line, so why not use it (I have lost two anchors because I didn't, am waiting on diver to dive on one now).
Anchoring under sail should not be a skill that you keep in your "bag of tricks" in case the engine fails, there is no reason why not to do it as often as possible.
Wolfenzee:

I'm talking about anchors lost despite using trip lines. The type of rock bottoms in parts of the subantarctic have the capacity to wedge anchors so firmly that even in sheltered bays, occasionally they cannot be retrieved even with a tripline.

Sheltered bays are not plentiful at some of the subantarctic islands, and finessing an anchor out of a jam with a tripline, in an open roadstead situation, in the sort of swell which is usual in the Southern Ocean, is not exactly child's play.

It's realistic to expect the tripline to break before the anchor budges in such cases.

I agree entirely with what you say about sailing on and off anchors routinely, rather than saving it for special occasions (unless the anchorage is crowded with fragile boats !)

I agree with much of what you say, in general, on topics of self reliance and keeping things simple. I don't subscribe to the notion that something which is fit for purpose, reliable and of high quality suddenly is diminished just because something "better" comes along.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 17:00   #93
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
A quick Google for "Jammer Six" confirmed your boast...
Oh, dear...

Okay. I better re-phrase.

I can drive anything on wheels that doesn't run on rails or make the driver look like a pinhead.

I'm quite certain I am not capable of driving the vehicle in the picture.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 18:09   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post

I can drive anything on wheels that doesn't run on rails or make the driver look like a pinhead.

When did the topic change to driving things on wheels?

Or perhaps more importantly, why?

Was it my comparison of an anchor with a handbrake?

If so, I'm still not sure how that led to your boast.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 20:07   #95

If boats have wheels, then pigs can fly. Not all old salts are right all of the time, but I think Andrew has enough salt in his beard that we should respect his advice.___Just my opinion.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 22:10   #96

Boat: Joubert Koala 24

If the water is warm a nice swim with the mask and snorkel on adds confidence ... Nice to see how the anchor set and make sure it's not sitting upside down on the edge of a shelf or hole.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:52   #97

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not certain re full time cruisers not using two hooks. Actually, during our 2003-2007 extensive adventure we used two hooks whenever possible (I think at least 50% of the time). Most of the time it was the 2nd was dropped behind to limit swing and add extra security. At times, we rowed the 2nd to windward when we expected an exceptional blow.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:19   #98
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchoring When You Have Engine Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
If boats have wheels, then pigs can fly. Not all old salts are right all of the time, but I think Andrew has enough salt in his beard that we should respect his advice.___Just my opinion.____Grant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	getlstd-property-photo.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	54064  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:47   #99
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Wolfenzee:

I'm talking about anchors lost despite using trip lines. The type of rock bottoms in parts of the subantarctic have the capacity to wedge anchors so firmly that even in sheltered bays, occasionally they cannot be retrieved even with a tripline.

Sheltered bays are not plentiful at some of the subantarctic islands, and finessing an anchor out of a jam with a tripline, in an open roadstead situation, in the sort of swell which is usual in the Southern Ocean, is not exactly child's play.

It's realistic to expect the tripline to break before the anchor budges in such cases.

I agree entirely with what you say about sailing on and off anchors routinely, rather than saving it for special occasions (unless the anchorage is crowded with fragile boats !)

I agree with much of what you say, in general, on topics of self reliance and keeping things simple. I don't subscribe to the notion that something which is fit for purpose, reliable and of high quality suddenly is diminished just because something "better" comes along.
The place I lost my last two anchors is said to have an old gill net, 4 700lb mooring anchors and countless other anchors that have been lost. The last anchor I left there I left with a float....if I'm really lucky I snagged the other anchor I lost there. I will have a diver go down after it in the near future. Trip line wouldn't have worked there.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:06   #100

Quote:
The place I lost my last two anchors is said to have an old gill net, 4 700lb mooring anchors and countless other anchors that have been lost. The last anchor I left there I left with a float....if I'm really lucky I snagged the other anchor I lost there. I will have a diver go down after it in the near future. Trip line wouldn't have worked there.
Out of curiosity why are you anchoring there? I avoid old booming areas and foul ground whenever I anchor.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 16:52   #101
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

The second time I anchored I did not anchor in the same place....but dragged anchor over the shelf, there was a boat directly down wind of me so I couldn't let out more scope.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, engine