Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 12:25   #586

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Does this thread have the record for the longest running thread?!
Old 20-02-2018, 12:25   #587

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
I am guessing that they are shopping for quotes. If I recall correctly, they originally had a figure of some six or seven thousand. I don't know what the quote from Chloe was, but it would be prudent to shop. I certainly look at various quotes when I am having work done.

It is also possible that without insurance they may have a hard time getting it into a yard so they can work on it. Of course, the insurance is moot if they are having it broken up and instead getting a different boat.

I sure hope they complete the salvage.

I like your optimism, but I doubt it. Shopping for quotes should take all of 1 day. After all there is going to be a limited number of possible salvage crews within the area. If that were the case, the boat would be being salvaged or they would provide some update.

I'm happy to be wrong here...
Old 20-02-2018, 12:29   #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
I'm happy to be wrong here...
Sadly I fear you are right, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, at least for a week or two.

The reason I'm willing to give them a week or so is because it seems that GoFundMe is doing an investigation to see if the money will be spent as specified, i.e. for salvage. Perhaps they are holding the money until the salvage is arranged.

It seems that this could be quickly and easily disposed of if GoFundMe pays directly to the salvage company and then gives the balance to the couple. Time will tell.
Old 20-02-2018, 12:43   #589

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I am pleased that Gofundme are apparently looking into the situation. There is no question in my mind that walking away from the wreckage would be a great tactical error for them. Whether they realize that or not, is a different question. I hope they get the wreck cleared up within the week, and that is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Ann
Old 20-02-2018, 12:49   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I am pleased that Gofundme are apparently looking into the situation. There is no question in my mind that walking away from the wreckage would be a great tactical error for them.

Ann

Is there any indication that GoFundMe is actually doing an investigation beyond the automated email they send after submitting a complaint?

Totally agree walking away won't turn out well for them.
Old 20-02-2018, 12:57   #591

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Sadly I fear you are right, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, at least for a week or two.

The reason I'm willing to give them a week or so is because it seems that GoFundMe is doing an investigation to see if the money will be spent as specified, i.e. for salvage. Perhaps they are holding the money until the salvage is arranged.

It seems that this could be quickly and easily disposed of if GoFundMe pays directly to the salvage company and then gives the balance to the couple. Time will tell.
I have doubt that Go Fund Me cares. They are leaving the money in there to extend it as long as possible as donations continue to come in. All they have to do is press a button and all of that money will transfer to a bank account of their choosing minus the 5% Go Fund Me makes. Go Fund Me does not handle transactions that way, they are only a vehicle, not the mechanism for crowd funding from what I see. Hopefully wrong, but on all appearances, the money is theirs to keep and do with as they please.
Old 20-02-2018, 13:22   #592
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Marvin-
Wreck may be a bit harsh. But perhaps you have noticed? That's what we're dealing with now. I'm sure their engine is reliable...oh wait, didn't they bolt on an underpowered outboard, previous inboard deceased? And I'm sure they replaced all the original old standing rigging, although, not having been out in squalls or storms I supposed whatever they had was good enough. Wreck?
When I was looking at "handiman specials" I took my notes, ran up a spreadsheet on "new stuff" and "labor for new stuff" with min/max ranges for the likely prices, and there was always this funny thing: The price of just the parts, and me at minimum wage, was often well below "moneypit".
Although I do note one young couple on video do seem to have gotten a real steal on an older Hallberg-Rassey, those are rare boats and they got a real rare deal. Unicorns happen.

There's a time and place to take in strays, and a time to say "That horse needs to be put down". Not knowing what else they did, but knowing the boat needed a number of important things like a set of keel bolts....
What's more unkind? Calling it a probably wreck, or actually going out and wrecking it?

And given where they left it, how totally crazy would it have been to secure a line to the hull and at least get it firmly up on the sand and out of the channel? You know, a come-a-long and some cable? At least make an effort to minimize the mess?
Old 20-02-2018, 13:23   #593

Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
I have doubt that Go Fund Me cares. They are leaving the money in there to extend it as long as possible as donations continue to come in. All they have to do is press a button and all of that money will transfer to a bank account of their choosing minus the 5% Go Fund Me makes. Go Fund Me does not handle transactions that way, they are only a vehicle, not the mechanism for crowd funding from what I see. Hopefully wrong, but on all appearances, the money is theirs to keep and do with as they please.

Actually this is incorrect. They likely have already withdrawn the money. They can take out the money as soon as its donated without affecting the campaign, thereafter they can get daily deposits to their bank account for any new donations. It only takes 2-5 business days for the ACH transfer to process. They have the money available for salvage if they want to.

https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-u...ng-Withdrawals

Also if you read the GoFundMe policies, the company itself is guaranteeing that the donation is used for the correct purpose. Unfortunately, they have an incentive to look the other way on this. If they agree that there were fraudulent actions, then the company would have to refund the givers. I'm not too hopeful that gofundme will do much, likely they will only refund the givers that complain. Please report the campaign if you donated.
Old 20-02-2018, 13:26   #594

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No sympathy for a couple of irresponsible idiots. The tax payers now have to pay to clean up their mess. It's people like this that give cruisers a bad name in Florida.

Have a heart!! Gosh all these SOB's that have no compassion or patience for others - It's people like YOU that give cruisers a bad name!!
Old 20-02-2018, 13:33   #595

Quote:
"Pan pan" vs "Pon Pon" may have been longer.

John McEnroe
Old 20-02-2018, 13:49   #596
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Aussie-
If they had made a mess, THEN promptly turned to clean it up, and only AFTER that got around to saying "Uh, we're new at this, we messed up, can anyone help us with a second chance?" they'd be getting a very different reception.
Colonials are known to be very generous, sailors or not. But some of us have just seen too much literally blind careless nonsense being dumped on everyone's laps, and there are limits.
Or maybe we all just missed the real side of the story. We often sum in up in two words:
"ASK FIRST".

Makes a whole world of difference, asking instead of presuming.
Old 20-02-2018, 13:58   #597

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Aussie-
If they had made a mess, THEN promptly turned to clean it up, and only AFTER that got around to saying "Uh, we're new at this, we messed up, can anyone help us with a second chance?" they'd be getting a very different reception.

Makes a whole world of difference, asking instead of presuming.
Well said!
Old 20-02-2018, 14:02   #598

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
"Pan pan" vs "Pon Pon" may have been longer.
Thanks for this. I looked it up (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...pon-98937.html) and this thread has it beaten almost two and a half times over! Seventeen pages for Pan Pan versus forty, about to be forty-one.
Old 20-02-2018, 14:11   #599
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
not even close there are many that have well over 5000 posts and at 15 to the page that's well over 330 pages . ( just look at most MMGW threads on here )
here is one example http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...58143-349.html
Old 20-02-2018, 14:34   #600

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Geez mate, don't go out into the real world, I think you'll be in for a shock.

It would seem so. I am studying marine navigation in finer detail. Trouble is, my navigation skills migrate from aviation, where nav data is pretty much single source, much more trustworthy, and aside from weather, has fewer hidden hazards.

Marine navigation has not evolved very much further than 1850 Mississippi river pilotage.
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size