Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2018, 13:37   #661
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Their edits to the GFM page qualifies as Fraud, so anyone having donated can now request a refund.

I hope felony charges will be prosecuted if they don't start disposal operations soon.
Old 22-02-2018, 13:48   #662

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
Treble, thanks for sticking to the subject and providing the facts. I love how most on here are complaining that the two didn't know their stuff, but will gladly comment without getting the facts straight or staying on topic.
OK. First article states they got a quote at a cost of $6700 to remove the boat. AND that was the first order of business. Second they started a go fund me site to raise the money JUST TO RESCUE the boat.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/10/couple...nken-sailboat/

Then when the money started rolling in, we are hearing they no longer have interest in rescuing the boat, there is now zero value and all liability being below water for two weeks. Would be one thing if they didn't have the funds, but they do. If they want to be like the 20 something's with sailing youtube channels and Patreon lifestyle, then they should also communicate exactly their intentions publicly, then people don't have to speculate.

That is the nature of the beast and part of living in the public eye, you will be both loved and hated in the same day.

I love cruising and I love the environment, and I immediately got rubbed wrong when the first thing they did was blame it on something in the channel other than a rookie mistake of trying to enter a clearly advertised unsafe over 3' of draft pass and at night. Regardless of blame, I was happy they were taking responsibility right away. Tanner's narrative fits perfectly with lining up with the charted and marked channel, but not seeing the unlit #3 that he needed to go south of. His narrative states that they hit an object, then found themselves on the shoal and attempting to get off of it while being beat up. The boat is almost 50 years old, and as I recall the keel is bolted cast iron on that boat, so there is a lot to go wrong in 50 years. That is speculation, but his narrative fits where the boat was sitting early the next morning and the natural tides pushing the bars from north to south.

I am all for them and felt really bad for them the next day and we gave a little money and like many locals, would have done a whole lot to help out. As time went on, we clearly felt a little duped as we learned more and live with the worry that there will be another wreck out there we have to deal with, but this one has a story where we helped pay to salvage it, but it was looking like they would walk away from it and that is why people contacted gofundme, the media and used social media to push that they do the right thing.

And personally, I am looking forward to hearing about the success Tanner and Nikki turn this into and the lessen that life is far more enjoyable when you just work to pay your debts first. That is character and integrity and life on the water is far more enjoyable when you don't owe anyone. At that age, it is pretty easy to recover. There are a lot of kids that age who follow the snow birds up and down the east coast as work always follows them. That is what I would do if I could go back 30 years.

In my opinion, Tanner and Nikki need to know their success playing in the field with Shaun and Julia, RAN Sailing, Sailing Uma, Sailing Doodles, Matt and Jessica, Sailboat Story, etc., then they need to be straight up. They have their chance to shine and a pretty good story to start out with and they could make a career out of it as others have. With the boating community watching close, now is the time to do the right thing and set a solid course to their future.
Old 22-02-2018, 13:52   #663

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

CAUTION: If you don't like straight talk, stop reading here.

The loss of the boat was reported on the 10th of this month, and the month is almost over.

Honestly, once the money was there, the first bit that would cover the salvage, wouldn't you have been on the phone, no matter what to get the process started? Heartbreaking as it may be, it is where both of their responsibility lies. The woman has responsibility here, as well, by the way. It is their (conjoined) mess. Imo, THEY should take responsibility for clearing it up, yesterday!

Ann

PS. If the donations bring them up above poverty level, then they'd better set aside something for the IRS (the internal revenue service, the body to whom US people pay taxes), too.
Old 22-02-2018, 14:02   #664

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
CAUTION: If you don't like straight talk, stop reading here.

The loss of the boat was reported on the 10th of this month, and the month is almost over.

Honestly, once the money was there, the first bit that would cover the salvage, wouldn't you have been on the phone, no matter what to get the process started? Heartbreaking as it may be, it is where both of their responsibility lies. The woman has responsibility here, as well, by the way. It is their (conjoined) mess. Imo, THEY should take responsibility for clearing it up, yesterday!

Ann

PS. If the donations bring them up above poverty level, then they'd better set aside something for the IRS (the internal revenue service, the body to whom US people pay taxes), too.

I agree Ann. They had the needed money weeks ago. The wreck should be gone by now. Unfortunately, I don't have much hope for them to take care of their obligations.

Regarding taxes, these are donations. The law is a bit unclear for gofundme, but since each individual gifted less than 14k I would argue it's tax free. (The complication is that gofundme got all the donations first so the IRS could argue the 16k received from gofundme is more than the 14k maximum. There are some court cases currently to deal with this issue I believe)
Old 22-02-2018, 14:02   #665

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm a Luddite..
A luddite using a computer.
Old 22-02-2018, 14:05   #666

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Honestly, once the money was there, the first bit that would cover the salvage, wouldn't you have been on the phone, no matter what to get the process started? Heartbreaking as it may be, it is where both of their responsibility lies. .
You would if you were honest and responsible.
Old 22-02-2018, 14:13   #667
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
A luddite using a computer.
Its a struggle.. but I'm getting there.. discovered flint lighters last week..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dos-computer.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	164647  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 22-02-2018, 16:33   #668

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Are there any buoys marking the wreck right now?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 22-02-2018, 17:09   #669

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Are there any buoys marking the wreck right now?
If, as reported, the wreck is moving about with the tides and winds, marking is difficult to accomplish.

Jim
Old 23-02-2018, 04:41   #670

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

copied from a facebook page:

REMEMBER THE YOUNG COUPLE WHOSE BOAT SANK GOING INTO JOHN’S PASS NEAR ST PETERSBURG, FL? SAW THIS COMMENT TODAY IN AN UNRELATED STORY POSTED BY THE TAMPA BAY TIMES. CANT CONFIRM THE DETAILS.

“TBT, how about a follow-up story on the young couple who sunk their sailboat and started a GoFundMe account to salvage the boat, but received over 16,000 in donations, are nowhere to be found, and their boat is still sunk. He received multiple offers at low low prices to have their boat salvaged, and yet their boat is still in the water and posing hazards to other local boaters. Nikki Walsh had posted on Facebook that she has thousands of dollars in debt to Sallie Mae for student loans. It sounds like this young couple skipped out on lots of debt. And thanks to the kindness of multiple people, they are living a dream life and left their waste in the hands of others.”
Old 23-02-2018, 04:57   #671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post

REMEMBER THE YOUNG COUPLE WHOSE BOAT SANK GOING INTO JOHN’S PASS NEAR ST PETERSBURG, FL? SAW THIS COMMENT TODAY IN AN UNRELATED STORY POSTED BY THE TAMPA BAY TIMES. CANT CONFIRM THE DETAILS.

“TBT, how about a follow-up story on the young couple who sunk their sailboat and started a GoFundMe account to salvage the boat, but received over 16,000 in donations, are nowhere to be found, and their boat is still sunk. He received multiple offers at low low prices to have their boat salvaged, and yet their boat is still in the water and posing hazards to other local boaters. Nikki Walsh had posted on Facebook that she has thousands of dollars in debt to Sallie Mae for student loans. It sounds like this young couple skipped out on lots of debt. And thanks to the kindness of multiple people, they are living a dream life and left their waste in the hands of others.”
I went out there 4 or 5 days ago after I seen a picture taken from the west that gave me a landmark to see where it was,I couldn't find it..one would assume that it has been removed. .as far as markers not being in the right spot,I just don't see it..they came in a day or so behind me & I didn’t have an issue & I am kind of a rookie myslef...I came in from the same direction they did..I believe that they simply missed the first marker which is the one to the west of the pass..if they did & that was where the pic showed the boat on its side,then it puts it on the sandbar...simply a mistake to try to get in there at that time. .I had to wait myself. .I anchored out there & waited for a better time,was kinda bouncy but safe....
Old 23-02-2018, 04:59   #672
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

If they try to stay in the boating world they'll find.. What goes around, comes around.. Karma's a funny thing.
Any dreams of YouTube fame and Fortune will kiss their ass goodbye should they not resolve this..
Then again they may just take the money and run.. no intention of continuing the live aboard life.. once bitten.. scared $hitle$$.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 23-02-2018, 05:18   #673

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post

I saw recently that the US Student Loan debt exceeds the US Credit Card debt. Which is simply Amazing.
Old 23-02-2018, 07:43   #674

Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
I went out there 4 or 5 days ago after I seen a picture taken from the west that gave me a landmark to see where it was,I couldn't find it..one would assume that it has been removed.

So can anyone confirm it's been removed? No need for us to bash them if they already took care of it.
Old 23-02-2018, 08:41   #675

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
I saw recently that the US Student Loan debt exceeds the US Credit Card debt. Which is simply Amazing.
We are now a nation of indentured servants. Many of these folks will not have much left over after servicing their debt each month. What will the effect be on our national economy.
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size