Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 10:44   #61

Boat: Presto 36
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartind View Post
So your grateful to not have a boat?
I have a boat that does not need such tender apparatus. I have a lead grounding shoe, internal ballast and center board.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:53   #62

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
Some sailing Raft's have mini keels.
Oh no. I have a mono-hull, but one of a 140 year old design by a FL native Ralph Middleton Munroe.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:55   #63

Obviously you can't visually inspect the keel boats with keel in place, but you can torque them to spec and see what happens. Undoing a nut, cleaning all the threads so you know it isn't seized then retorquing it to spec would sort out which bolts were paper thin fairly quickly since they'd either keep stretching and/or snap. If you get all nuts torqued to spec then you're back at the original clamping pressure at least. Not that that is a guarantee that a severe impact won't snap marginal bolts, since the factor of safety would be reduced.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:04   #64

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

Bad seamanship period. Unless you have an emergency life or death cercumstance, you should never go in to a windy channel, with limited visability, with no knowledge of the area. Sounds like a poorly prepared boat and couple. No respect for the sea. They are lucky to be alive. Perhaps they and others can learn something from this. There are so many books written about what it takes to do this cruising thing. So many people willing to teach. Irresponsable nincompoopery. If they have to pay for the mess they made so be it.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:17   #65

Boat: Albin Vega 27

There many worse things that young people could be doing. The average cost to the taxpayer to send a child to public school is $15,000 per year and we have millions crossing the southern boarder each year. Yet, they had not any public assistance or welfare but simply a dream to get out of the rat-race. If the gov can afford to give people generational welfare then they can afford to move a boat of a taxpayer. And to the many smug retirees who worked 24/7 for a decade to earn the privilege to own a boat, good luck when your health fails and you require public assistance to pay the never-ending hospital bills. You will be quite altruistic then I'm sure. And if their claim is true that the channel markers were incorrect, if it were the aviation world and approach markers were in non-compliance then heads would roll.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:20   #66

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
they seem like nice people perhaps someone can donate them another boat.
Hey I'm a nice guy, where's my free boat and money?
Gotta set me up a go fund me page so the dolts of the world can shower me with riches.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:20   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
There many worse things that young people could be doing. The average cost to the taxpayer to send a child to public school is $15,000 per year and we have millions crossing the southern boarder each year. Yet, they had not any public assistance or welfare but simply a dream to get out of the rat-race. If the gov can afford to give people generational welfare then they can afford to move a boat of a taxpayer. And to the many smug retirees who worked 24/7 for a decade to earn the privilege to own a boat, good luck when your health fails and you require public assistance to pay the never-ending hospital bills. You will be quite altruistic then I'm sure. And if their claim is true that the channel markers were incorrect, if it were the aviation world and approach markers were in non-compliance then heads would roll.
you are welcome for the right to have such a jaded opinion .
Old 10-02-2018, 11:34   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
you are welcome for the right to have such a jaded opinion .
Please explain how my opinion is jaded. Or can you? My opinion is one of empathy for an unfortunate couple among a sea of negativity from this forum. Everyone sailing has made mistakes, this case ended is a series of negative events. Could be you next time.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:44   #69

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
I'd be surprised if they even knew to replace them. stories like this really make me grateful that my keelbolts are bronze
Stories like this make me thankful my ballast is internal. Ok multies, your turn.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:47   #70

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Too bad. Sad story indeed.

But it makes me want to tip my hat to those of us out here that worked for decades, handled multiple "life challenges" with no help from anyone, raised kids, sent them to college, scrimped and saved, (our own $$, not go fund me, crowd funding, patreon, etc.), and finally... finally got to go have our dream.

Sorry for these kids. (yes, kids at 26 & 24) But that seems to be the "new normal" today. Don't want to pay your dues in the rat race? Life too hard? OK, just buy an old boat, van, etc. Then set up a "gimme money" account, go on YouTube and be supported by others.

Cheers to us of any age that are doing it on our own dollars. Not begging for donations. And were fully prepared for all outcomes before we cast off the dock lines.

And before any of you "snowflakes" out their want to bash my comments... I will be the first to throw these "kids" some cash if you point me to their "help me please" page.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:52   #71

One of the useful functions for me when it comes to this kind of story is it weeds out the negative and judgemental. I can learn nothing from those of ill will. I delete them. I hope these two get back on the water. Valuable lesson learned.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:57   #72

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartind View Post
So your grateful to not have a boat?
He probably has a multihull.

One of those boats, without a hunk of lead on the bottom, silliest thing you can put on a boat, that can hit rocks without sinking.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:58   #73
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post

But it makes me want to tip my hat to those of us out here that worked for decades, handled multiple "life challenges" with no help from anyone, raised kids, sent them to college, scrimped and saved, (our own $$, not go fund me, crowd funding, patreon, etc.), and finally... finally got to go have our dream.

Sorry for these kids. (yes, kids at 26 & 24) But that seems to be the "new normal" today. Don't want to pay your dues in the rat race? Life too hard? OK, just buy an old boat, van, etc. Then set up a "gimme money" account, go on YouTube and be supported by others.

Cheers to us of any age that are doing it on our own dollars. Not begging for donations. And were fully prepared for all outcomes before we cast off the dock lines.

And before any of you "snowflakes" out their want to bash my comments... I will be the first to throw these "kids" some cash if you point me to their "help me please" page.
You had me until the last sentence
Old 10-02-2018, 12:00   #74

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by normdeeley View Post
One of the useful functions for me when it comes to this kind of story is it weeds out the negative and judgemental. I can learn nothing from those of ill will. I delete them. I hope these two get back on the water. Valuable lesson learned.
Agree. They were going sailing. Not dealing drugs, drunk driving or shooting people.

Who hasn't ****ed up when they were young? Some of us were lucky enough to survive it.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:04   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post

Please show me where they are begging for money or have a YT channel. Or did you just a$$ume they did? And before you get too smug Baby Boomer, Millennial kids have to face challenges you never dreamed of. Lets see if you can make it in their world. Doubt it.
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size