Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 12:48   #766
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
What do you dislike more:
1. not seeing the kids weeping and gnashing teeth?
2. The kids good fortune?
3. The people who (knowingly) gave more than what was asked for?
4. your lack of fortune?
my issue was the changing of the stated purpose of the gobegme page and the resultant changing back after receiving " pushback" from the maritime community. If they had just left it as it was to begin with and updated the comments appropriately.
I feel there would have been much less discord .
Old 01-03-2018, 12:48   #767

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post
GFM to help say a cancer patient recieve funds up to and well beyond their initial estimate is wonderful. Care costs can continue for years, bonus money carries on supporting a good cause. A bait and switch campaign however....

First saw Buckys work in the form of the American Pavilion geodesic dome at our Expo '67 in Montreal. Mind blowing (it was the 60's after all...) Meeting him must have been incredible.
What business is it of yours concerning what people consider a worthy cause for donation? You sound like your virtue signaling by prioritizing causes. People donate to whom/what they have the pleasure to donate.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:59   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
my issue was the changing of the stated purpose of the gobegme page and the resultant changing back after receiving " pushback" from the maritime community. If they had just left it as it was to begin with and updated the comments appropriately.
I feel there would have been much less discord .
I agree with you on this point. They should have opened another account stating "new boat fund". The fact that people still gave money even after the original asking amount was realized says something though. I think those people who donated post realization wanted the kids to have more money to buy another boat. I see the kids mistake as only being minor due to naivety and circumstance.
Old 01-03-2018, 13:14   #769
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
I agree with you on this point. They should have opened another account stating "new boat fund". The fact that people still gave money even after the original asking amount was realized says something though. I think those people who donated post realization wanted the kids to have more money to buy another boat. I see the kids mistake as only being minor due to naivety and circumstance.
they could have even just stated that any funds in excess of cleanup costs would be used to get new boat to continue the adventure would have been plenty . It was the changing of the language that was the issue.
( I'm sure they or someone they know is following this and similar threads )
I say all of this in the hope it will help the next "kid" in a similar situation to not suffer similar pitfalls.
Old 01-03-2018, 13:50   #770

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It may be only me, but these "kids" are over 25, and to me, referring to them as kids is somehow demeaning. They have names, Nikki, and Warren, and we oughta call 'em by them. Or refer to them as Lagniappe's former owners, because with the deal completed with Moore's for the salvage, I suspect Mr. Moore is the new owner.

Maybe this is the nest egg that will start them on a good road, and make them generous, understanding that it was the kindness of strangers that bailed them out. None of us knows what the future holds, but we can hang out and wait and see, and perhaps, treating others with kindness and good will, rather than throwing stones.

The above attitude does not take away from the fact that it is really dangerous to enter unknown harbors at night, which, imo is the main takeaway from the loss of the Lagniappe. That lesson has a corollary: do not go close to hard bits when visibility is poor.

Ann
Old 01-03-2018, 13:53   #771
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

All said and done its in the past and nothings gonna change it..
Just hope that if they have got a Cheoy Lee, they recognise she is a pedigree and treat her accordingly.. and that she carries them safely and far on their adventures.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 01-03-2018, 13:53   #772

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

The above attitude does not take away from the fact that it is really dangerous to enter unknown harbors at night, which, imo is the main takeaway from the loss of the Lagniappe. That lesson has a corollary: do not go close to hard bits when visibility is poor.

Ann
Yes, this is was the whole point of posting the thread. All's well that end's well. Hopefully, no more hard lessons for these folks.
Old 01-03-2018, 14:04   #773

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
It may be only me, but these "kids" are over 25, and to me, referring to them as kids is somehow demeaning. They have names, Nikki, and Warren, and we oughta call 'em by them. Or refer to them as Lagniappe's former owners, because with the deal completed with Moore's for the salvage, I suspect Mr. Moore is the new owner.

Maybe this is the nest egg that will start them on a good road, and make them generous, understanding that it was the kindness of strangers that bailed them out. None of us knows what the future holds, but we can hang out and wait and see, and perhaps, treating others with kindness and good will, rather than throwing stones.

Ann
I believe the term "kids" is very subjective and dependent on current perspective. To label something as demeaning you must first establish a concrete meaning and then purposely deviate form that established meaning. To me 25yo is still a kid. My "children" will always be called my "children"..etc...After all, "kid" is just an adoptive term of "young goat". Get my drift?
Old 01-03-2018, 15:12   #774

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"And since salvage has now proven to cost $5K,"
Did I not get the memo? It hasn't been proven to cost anything, until the job is actually done and the bill is sent out.
The salvage has proven to cost THEM about $5K.

From the last article linked:

"That’s because on Monday he signed over the title to the Lagniappe to Joseph Moore, owner of Disco Volante Marine, who planned to begin to raise the wreckage this week. The engine and fuel tank, the main environmental concerns, were pulled up weeks ago. "Their 21-day grace period to get the boat out of there was almost expired when they contacted me," Moore said. "Now it’s my problem. … I understand it was a lengthy process for them."
"Moore, the salvager, said he charged the couple about half of the $10,000 they’d originally worried they’d have to come up with to have the wreck removed.
Old 01-03-2018, 15:23   #775

Boat: Volkscruiser

I am not sure I would be saying they have plenty of cash. Here in Australia l could see a fair bit of money in just getting a 33 year old vessel that has just been “sitting behind my house” ready to go cruising?
I wonder if they even got it surveyed this time?
Could this be there next big mistake the $1 yacht? Maybe they might need another injection of cash via GoFundMe?
Or maybe they are going to join these other American sailing legends!
American 'Captain Calamity' sailors rescued for a NINTH time | Daily Mail Online
Cheers
Old 01-03-2018, 16:50   #776

Boat: Boatless at the moment

I gave Nikki, and Warren (former) owners of the Lagniappe the benefit of the doubt, NO they are no kids nor children, they are adults responsible for the mess they created. After they changed the text in their GoFundMe page they lost me. I strongly believe that because the watching eye of forummers and others they not run.

I know that the cruisers family keep an skeptic eye on Nikki and Warren where ever they appear, they lost a lot of sympathy across the cruiser community.

And please call them no more Kids but Nikki, and Warren (former) owners of the Lagniappe.
Old 01-03-2018, 18:27   #777

Boat: Tartan 40
Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The salvage has proven to cost THEM about $5K.

From the last article linked:

"That’s because on Monday he signed over the title to the Lagniappe to Joseph Moore, owner of Disco Volante Marine, who planned to begin to raise the wreckage this week. The engine and fuel tank, the main environmental concerns, were pulled up weeks ago. "Their 21-day grace period to get the boat out of there was almost expired when they contacted me," Moore said. "Now it’s my problem. … I understand it was a lengthy process for them."
"Moore, the salvager, said he charged the couple about half of the $10,000 they’d originally worried they’d have to come up with to have the wreck removed.

Yeah, agree with last post. No way they were going to salvage except for all the pressure put on them. Why would they have waited until last minute to decide to salvage, while they had already found a new boat? 21 days is a long time to leave the wreck, especially since 5K was raised already after about 3 days or less if I remember correctly
Old 01-03-2018, 18:43   #778

Quote:
I believe the term "kids" is very subjective and dependent on current perspective. To label something as demeaning you must first establish a concrete meaning and then purposely deviate form that established meaning. To me 25yo is still a kid. My "children" will always be called my "children"..etc...After all, "kid" is just an adoptive term of "young goat". Get my drift?
You must be suffering from brain freeze up there in AK if you can't tell the difference between adult and kid. Just because they acted like kids, does not make it so.
Old 01-03-2018, 19:22   #779

Quote:
Originally Posted by achil View Post
You must be suffering from brain freeze up there in AK if you can't tell the difference between adult and kid. Just because they acted like kids, does not make it so.
Out of all that has been discussed, you reply on the semantics of the term "kids" and your projected meaning? Well at least I have a brain to freeze, you on the other hand.....
Old 01-03-2018, 19:25   #780
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Did anyone ever conclusively determine whether or not the keel actually fell off the boat?
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size