Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 16:34   #16

He probably thought you had some paint thinner and a paper bag onboard.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 13:44   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
One thing I've noticed with MOST power boats - of all sizes is that they actively choose to pass in front of me - a sailboat, whether motoring, motor sailing or sailing... they literally change coarse a bit to pass in front, rather than slow a bit to pass astern or even speed up and pass astern. Of course this gives us a nasty wake roll depending on the size of their own wake. But it never ceases to amaze me and I think these captains get some sort of perverse pleasure in doing this - both the wake and the overtaking.
I can't speak for all powerboaters and don't want to get into a sail vs. powerboat argument. I can say that it's not as easy as you think it is. Powerboats obviously move more quickly, however sailboats seem to need much more room both because our wake affects you more and you tack back and forth into the wind.

I can't tell you the number of times, I've been aiming for the stern of a sailboat a few miles away, however, by the time you get there, the boat has tacked and eaten up the distance. Aim for the bow hoping he tacks and he doesn't. Don't know how far he's going to go in any given direction. Of course, a number of times I feel like I'm playing chicken. I turn to avoid a sailboat and he tacks to an intersecting course, adjust and he tacks back to an intersecting course on the other side. Also keep in mind that powerboats aren't affected by each other's wake's nearly as much as a sailboat. So what might seem like adequate passing distance to a powerboater clearly isn't to the sailboat.

It is a challenge sometimes because correcting to avoid one, might put you on a path to another. Slowing down and dropping off of plane then gettign back up on plane again would be an expensive proposition and a bit frustrating.

I always give way and try to do so with adequate clearance. There are idiots out there as well. I frequently find myself having to give way to another powerboater when I'm the stand-on vessel. It's hard to argue with an idiot.

Doesn't make it right, and I'm not defending when people ignore the rules of the water. i'm just trying to point out the other side of things here.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 14:03   #18

That's what all good, well trained lemmings do....

They are also taught to anchor as closly as possible to any previously anchored vessel no matter the free space available...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 14:05   #19

Sailboats (under sail) have to deal with not only "where do I want to go" but "where do I have to go in order to maintain steerage and not slam into something because of my leeward progress". A vessel under motor can literally change course within seconds and have minimal advance as where a vessel under sail has nothing like that going for it.

I'm sure we've all seen idiots on sailboats and idiots on powerboats. It's just easier to be an idiot on a power boat.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 14:17   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I am probably one of those you complain about. During rough weather on the Straits of Juan de Fuca- I studied and studied a large vessels lights, finally thinking I got him figured out, only to turn into his path.
He shined his bright light on me and I did a quick 180- not fun in swells and 30 knt winds!
But I was paying attention!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote