Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2011, 15:45   #1

Atlantic Crossing with a Furling Boom...

hello id like to keep my wooden furler boom (for authenticity) I have no jib furler and will mostly be using a storm jib...my question is about the effectivness of a rolled main in bad weather...a similar boat as mine 1964 H28 has sailed 12h in the north atlantic with absolutly no sails and the windvane managed ti stir the boat just fine...so I know that eventualy my main will be fully rolled inn and my storm jib also...in witch order I dont know?

anyone familiar with roller booms?
rgds
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 16:09   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: atlantic crossing with a furling boom...

your leaky teaky has a boom furler???? man i am jellus!!!!! LOL--i would be happy with lazy jax, meself--- make sure the roller boom is well lubed aand working nicely-- the one i had on a 1966 olympian sloop was frozen.... never could get it working.. was aluminum, tho.....let me know how this turns out!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 16:14   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I had one on my first boat. Roller reefing mainsails are worthless. You get a poor setting sail with a baggy middle and tight leach which is just about the opposite of what you want. The tight leach will stretch the sail out of shape effectively ruining when sheeted in hard. You cannot use a vang or other boom hardware when reefed without special fittings that will wear holes in the main in typical open ocean use. Rolling in a reef is a time wasting pain that requires that you be at both the tack and clew at the same time while reefing to get the least poor shape to the reefed sail. The tack of the sail, bolt rope and slides will build up around the gooseneck as the sail is reefed. Makes rolling in a deep reef nearly impossible.

Slab reefing is quicker, has less mechanical failure possiblities and produces an optimum setting sail for high wind conditions. Have some reef points put in your main, install a couple of cheek blocks on the boom and forget using the roller reefing boom.

Peter O.
Pearson 35 formerly with a roller reefing boom.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 16:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
your leaky teaky has a boom furler???? man i am jellus!!!!! LOL--i would be happy with lazy jax, meself--- make sure the roller boom is well lubed aand working nicely-- the one i had on a 1966 olympian sloop was frozen.... never could get it working.. was aluminum, tho.....let me know how this turns out!!!!
hello zee how are you...hope your enjoying your venture??

my roller boom has solid brass fittings that will outlast just about everyone I know...wont be jaming anytime soon

however just to let you know this boom is on my Hinterhoeller 28, not the IT41 witch by the way is history...ya she gone!!

not the kind of boat id trust my family with at sea...she was structuraly week in comparaison to my H28...to bad cause she was a looker

later zee
ciao
Old 27-04-2011, 16:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I had one on my first boat. Roller reefing mainsails are worthless. You get a poor setting sail with a baggy middle and tight leach which is just about the opposite of what you want. The tight leach will stretch the sail out of shape effectively ruining when sheeted in hard. You cannot use a vang or other boom hardware when reefed without special fittings that will wear holes in the main in typical open ocean use. Rolling in a reef is a time wasting pain that requires that you be at both the tack and clew at the same time while reefing to get the least poor shape to the reefed sail. The tack of the sail, bolt rope and slides will build up around the gooseneck as the sail is reefed. Makes rolling in a deep reef nearly impossible.

Slab reefing is quicker, has less mechanical failure possiblities and produces an optimum setting sail for high wind conditions. Have some reef points put in your main, install a couple of cheek blocks on the boom and forget using the roller reefing boom.

Peter O.
Pearson 35 formerly with a roller reefing boom.

James Baldwin sugested I lock the boom in place and slab reef the thing...he did not provide me with details as you did...thanks for your contrebution...I will follow these advices.

cheers
Old 27-04-2011, 16:44   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: atlantic crossing with a furling boom...

Jobi.... I'm in agreement with Rover... keep the boom for authenticity but set up for slab reefing... it was one of those 'modern ideas' that looked and worked great on the drawing board but in reality of wind and sea was inefficient and cumbersome...

boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 16:57   #7

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Jobi.... I'm in agreement with Rover... keep the boom for authenticity but set up for slab reefing... it was one of those 'modern ideas' that looked and worked great on the drawing board but in reality of wind and sea was inefficient and cumbersome...
Would you rate the latest, expensive, state of the art in boom furler gear the same? Or are you just referring to the old fully rolling boom type?

The in boom gear looked pretty impressive at the Sydney boat show last year... horizontal battens to help the sail shape etc...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 17:09   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: atlantic crossing with a furling boom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Would you rate the latest, expensive, state of the art in boom furler gear the same? Or are you just referring to the old fully rolling boom type?

The in boom gear looked pretty impressive at the Sydney boat show last year... horizontal battens to help the sail shape etc...
Old Fart talking about Old Fart Boats... from the 60's/70's when they were considered de-rigueur by many builders and buyers...
Mind... would not be interested in the new ones either.... one potential fail point in any system is enough for me...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing