Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2013, 17:12   #31

Boat: Little Harbor 38
I had a AB 9V that weighed 143 and a Honda 9.9 that weighed 95lbs. We put the dingy on the foredeck when offshore and dragged it behind for daytrips. The dingy costed about 1 knot when towed and the engine was very getting difficult to bring aboard everyday even with a lift. We switched to an Achillies LSI that was the same size but weighed 74 lbs and a Yamaha 6 that weight 76 lbs. lifting the engine is now easy and I can simply lift the dingy by myself onto the foredeck for day trips ( I am 62) when we go offshore we delate it and stow in in a aft locker (it has an inflatable v bottom). We never tow anymore. I am MUCH happier with this arrangement! Smaller is definitely better!
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 08:07   #32

Boat: Nordhavn 50
I disagree with "smaller is better". I subscribe to the "carry the largest tender you can manage" theory. I have spent too many evenings ashore with a wet backside from a choppy dinghy ride from the anchorage, and don't like soggy groceries or clean laundry. It is also nice to have the extra comfort and range to be able to explore a bit farther from the anchorage.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 08:39   #33

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Best Way to Hoist the Dinghy on Foredeck ?

I have to go with Alex. After all our years of crusing the dinghy is the most important piece of gear on the boat. Most cruising boats spend far more time on the hook than actually moving across open water. In fact most cruising is done on sheltered waters. Choose the largest dink you can manage and you will never regret it!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:36   #34

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
It's not because you didn't see it that it does not exist!

You never saw me but I exist!
:-)
Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence, Non?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 10:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
I disagree with "smaller is better". I subscribe to the "carry the largest tender you can manage" theory. I have spent too many evenings ashore with a wet backside from a choppy dinghy ride from the anchorage, and don't like soggy groceries or clean laundry. It is also nice to have the extra comfort and range to be able to explore a bit farther from the anchorage.
Yeah, when I sold my catamaran it had a 10 ft AB RIB. I took the HC38 as part trade in so bought a 9 ft AB RIB in St Martin to store on deck (see avatar) Big difference between the 10 ft and 9 foot in choppy water. But I did have a 15 HP on both... the 9 was a bit overpowered. I'd take a 9 ft RIB over a 10 air floor though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 10:37   #36
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
did have a 15 HP on both... the 9 was a bit overpowered.
Big and 15hp is the way to go.
I have 9.9 and its fine for just one person, but would go the 15 in a flash.

A dink is not just a mode of getting to shore. For a full time cruiser its the family car, the exploration vehicle, the truck, the other liferaft, the argument get-away, its the everything to a cruiser!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 10:40   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Big and 15hp is the way to go.
I have 9.9 and its fine for just one person, but would go the 15 in a flash.

A dink is not just a mode of getting to shore. For a full time cruiser its the family car, the exploration vehicle, the truck, the other liferaft, the argument get-away, its the everything to a cruiser!
yep During the preparation phase, It's easy to focus on things to ready yourself and your boat for the "ultimate storm" etc. Remembering to focus on the stuff you'll use 90% of the time is good advice! Dingy, autopilot, refrigeration etc...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:12   #38

Boat: PETERSON 44
Well I ditched conventional thinking. Built a chameleon nesting dink. Holds quite a bit. Powers better then the inflatable. Though I also don't carry the outboards anymore. . Got really good at rowing and skulling. Given the amount of time I spent cleaning carbs and not starting the bulky prop thing I have learned to enjoy simple. Maybe in areas with out ethanol I would revert back to pull and go prop things. The rowing dink is something I won't give up. Nesting is excellent rowing is a fine time.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:33   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

conventional thinking?? what is that....i just added a redcrest sans wood floor to my fleet---work platforma nd fun pool....paddles poorly...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:55   #40

Boat: PETERSON 44
[QUOTE="zeehag;1160869"]conventional thinking?? what is that....i just added a redcrest sans wood floor to my fleet---work platforma nd fun pool....paddles poorly...[/QUOTE
Yep.
Big hard bottom inflatable with big outboard. Seems like the norm.
No one thinks your conventional.
I found that inflatables row like crap. A good nesting dink gets on deck easily and stows. Rowing did not stop me from getting places. Though I understand a long pull could be complicated. Then a failed outboard has caused me some real unpleasant trips trying to row.
I have both outboards because I see some advantage for most use rowing seems okay. Then again I am hard headed and rowing requires some ignorance if niceties and some physical exertion.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 08:43   #41

Good to know I'm kinda doing this right. Grabbing the bow with the spinnaker halyard and hauling it out if the water like a big tuna. Haven't thought to use the spinnaker pole to keep things under control more.
aclevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 19:06   #42

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Best way to hoist the dinghy on foredeck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
If you have a spinnaker halyard you may have a spinnaker pole as well. Rig the pole at the top of the track and run the spinnaker halyard through the outboard end of the pole. Raise the pole up with the topping lift and then use the halyard to hoist the dink with a three point bridle and swing it onto the foredeck. You can just use lines for fore and after guys to control the swing.
yeah thats pretty much what i do - the other advantage is as the boat comes up the pole goes up with the halyard and the dink naturally comes inboard with it. i use my carbon fibre (converted from a windsurfer mast) whisker pole cos i dont have a spinnaker...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 23:16   #43

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)
Re: Best way to hoist the dinghy on foredeck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
yeah thats pretty much what i do - the other advantage is as the boat comes up the pole goes up with the halyard and the dink naturally comes inboard with it. i use my carbon fibre (converted from a windsurfer mast) whisker pole cos i dont have a spinnaker...
@Charliehows: very interesting, do you rig the pole by fixing the halyard at the outward end? I tried with the halyard running through the end, it seems it does not work.
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 20:48   #44

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

@Charliehows: very interesting, do you rig the pole by fixing the halyard at the outward end? I tried with the halyard running through the end, it seems it does not work.

the pressure of the rope seems to be enough to hold it, but i'm using a winch on the mast to haul it so i can push the whisker pole down with my hand if i need to - i think i have to give it a bit of persuasion to stay down til the dink is nearly above the rails then i push it up as i winch and she comes in board - works in reverse for loading off too - the pole is pretty light.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 00:01   #45

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

An old thread i know, but i found this picture on an image search and this weekend i set it up and it works perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	568
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	120674  
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy