Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2011, 03:59   #16

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
In those restricted waters it might make sense for the marina to prohibit racing / training and thereby reduce the risks for everyone.

But overall it sounds like you unavoidably got the opportunity to gain some close quarters experience. You learnt you could handle it OK in that no person or boat got a scratch, hurt. And I'm pretty sure you'll minimise the risks even further in future scenarios.
It was brilliant that no one got hurt - well done.
JOHN
Old 30-01-2011, 09:04   #17

Surely he could see a bunch yachts dead ahead? What happened to common courtesy? Could the tanker captain not have announced his intentions with a simple radio call? If he had hit a boat and sank it then his licence would be in jeopredy so it seems a stupid risk to take. We've already had a similar incident here BBC News - Ouzo coastguard response 'flawed'

If I saw anyone pull a stunt like that in a car, plane or boat, I think my opinion would be "What a w****er!".
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 09:39   #18

in 1956 when i lived in Holland my father a captain at the time and me (3yrs) at the time were watching the ships go up the North Sea canal toward Rotterdam and watched a sail boat tacking across the canal in front of a ship with a pilot launch trying to get them out of the way. needless to say they got t-boned and sucked under the ship and came out the back. unbelievably the sailors survived and were picked up by the pilot boat. i can't understand why recreational sailors think they have a right to be where ship traffic travels in restricted zones (ie; depth and or width of channel) when there is heavy traffic
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 09:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
I can't understand why recreational sailors think they have a right to be where ship traffic travels in restricted zones
Alcohol?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 09:56   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post

We actually did head up before the boat crossed our bows, but the 'suction' (what's that word?) pulled our bow back round, and pulled us in. By this stage we also had the engine on in full reverse; but he was still pulling us in. I had no idea how strong their 'suction' was.
Hi Kate, the word your looking for is "interaction", normally worse when in an overtaking situation due to period of time the two vessels are in close proximity, and worse still in shallow/narrow waters, can be scary stuff.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 10:05   #21
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
in 1956 when i lived in Holland my father a captain at the time and me (3yrs) at the time were watching the ships go up the North Sea canal toward Rotterdam and watched a sail boat tacking across the canal in front of a ship with a pilot launch trying to get them out of the way. needless to say they got t-boned and sucked under the ship and came out the back. unbelievably the sailors survived and were picked up by the pilot boat.
That is an amazing story - perhaps they should have waited and gone behind. That's one for the right of way thread, if ever there was one!

Quote:
i can't understand why recreational sailors think they have a right to be where ship traffic travels in restricted zones (ie; depth and or width of channel) when there is heavy traffic
I agree - usually. But if you read posts 14 & 15, and take a look at the chart, I think I explain fairly well why we don't have a choice about being in the area. Not through choice; and in Kuwait certainly not because of alcohol!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 10:08   #22
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
In those restricted waters it might make sense for the marina to prohibit racing / training and thereby reduce the risks for everyone.

It was brilliant that no one got hurt - well done.
JOHN
In a country which boats only one yacht club, with around half a dozen boats participating regularly (and only a dozen and a half sailing yachts in the country), it will be a sad day indeed for expats when we must prohibit the club's only two activities.
Old 30-01-2011, 10:10   #23
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Hi Kate, the word your looking for is "interaction", normally worse when in an overtaking situation due to period of time the two vessels are in close proximity, and worse still in shallow/narrow waters, can be scary stuff.
It had come to me - and I thought the word was 'slipstream'... or is that only for planes and lorries?

Incidentally, these waters weren't shallow)
Old 01-02-2011, 15:56   #24

Boat: Riviera 35
They can't manouvre as easily as we can so I usually operate on the basis of The First Law of The Sea: The preservation of life takes precedence over all other matters...

And MY Life is the one that really matters, so I chicken out first.

Early and decisive. Saves keep changing my pants.

It is like driving a car - there are idiots out there - you have to drive to their inadequacies.

Just out of general interest, what Flag was the ship?
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:12   #25
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightShadow View Post

Just out of general interest, what Flag was the ship?
Shanghai. Now you mention it, aren't they the guys that mowed down the Young sailor girl off australia a few years back?? They don't learn then do they? There's no doubt as to whether they saw us... Since they changed course towards us!!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:20   #26

Boat: 29'
It comes to mind that if the sailboats always scurry away like mice,it becomes expected behaviour.Use it or lose it.Good for you Saucy
At least,scream bloody murder on the radio.
Sorry,haven't read all the posts but no Pilot aboard?shouldn't there be one aboard thereabouts?Captain still has final responsibility though.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:45   #27

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Shanghai. Now you mention it, aren't they the guys that mowed down the Young sailor girl off australia a few years back?? They don't learn then do they? There's no doubt as to whether they saw us... Since they changed course towards us!!
Saucy,
I'm very glad that you and your boat were able to avoid injury or damage. I've been there and done that. Only I was in the safe and secure sailing area of the Bahamas, read my acount at the start of the thread Bahamas Boat Ramming.

Upon reflection I've come to the conclusion that it is not prudent to believe that all skippers well operate their vessel in a sane and rationial manner.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:51   #28

Boat: Cabo Rico
Who was calm enough to snap the picture? With me I never get pictures of the close calls because I am too occupied.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 13:58   #29
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Are you referring to Jessica Watson?

Ella's Pink Lady has been on the Gold Coast for more than two weeks undergoing repairs from the damage caused when it and Chinese coal carrier Silver Yang collided off Point Lookout at 2.10am on September 9.

Read more: Jessica Watson warned after collision: Do not sail | News.com.au

You do recall she was solo, and asleep when the collision took place? You can't possibly place blame on anyone but Jessica.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 14:27   #30

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Are you referring to Jessica Watson?

Ella's Pink Lady has been on the Gold Coast for more than two weeks undergoing repairs from the damage caused when it and Chinese coal carrier Silver Yang collided off Point Lookout at 2.10am on September 9.

Read more: Jessica Watson warned after collision: Do not sail | News.com.au

You do recall she was solo, and asleep when the collision took place? You can't possibly place blame on anyone but Jessica.
G'Day Ralph,

Actually there was a big-time inquest into the incident, and the report (which is available on line, but I don't have the link now) apportioned blame on both sides. The watch officer on the ship was severely criticized for his actions as well as Jessica. Neither one came away looking very good. Makes very interesting reading!!

As to the Saucy incident -- I've already spoken my piece, but must say that scheduling races in a restricted zone with high ship traffic (no matter where the bloody marina is) is pretty irresponsible. I'm sorry that she was so frightened, but still believe that even under spinnaker the yacht should be able to easily outmaneuver a tanker. Tankers can neither accelerate nor change course rapidly. My sympathies lie more with the skipper/pilot of the commercial vessel in this case.

Cheers,

Jim