Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 14:49   #1

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Binoculars?

Another thread was discussing a possible night passage across Lake Michigan, and I was going to stress the importance of having a decent pair of 7x50 binoculars.

Before I did, though, I thought I'd search the forums, and I found nothing.

Bunches of hits on "binoculars", most of which seemed unrelated, but nothing on "7x50".

Is that an artifact of the search engine, or have we never discussed night glasses?

Under dark skies put on your night glasses
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 14:58   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Binoculars?

"Binocular" is a common discussion topic on CF. Many different posts/comments on that topic.

The 7X50 form is one of many subtopics discussed and since it is commonly suggested for marine use, many of the discussions assume that form, or specifically mention it.

Here is a good list of previous threads on "binocular"

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...lar&gsc.page=1
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 15:28   #3

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Thanks.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 15:19   #4

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

I would suggest getting waterproof marine binoculars with a compass... oh wait, no need to do that, because noone needs to navigates anymore, nevermind.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 15:31   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There are many good threads on bino's in here. One of which I posted some info which helped a lot of people, based on the feedback I recieved. Here are a few of the good bits:
Binoculars - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1956720
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1957450

The article you linked in your post is quite good. And some of what I wrote in the above threads expounds on it a bit further. Including things like coatings, focus types, etc. Hopefully the info will be of assistance.

FWIW I've had a pair of 7x50 Steiner Commander Pilots with an Illuminated Compass for about 2 decades now, & am more than happy with them. Especially having picked them up on the cheap. And while I like my Steiner 6x30's a lot, particularly since they're "pocket sized", they're distinctly poorer than the bigger pair when it comes to resolving detail, & or, at night.

Also, I'm told that as you get older, your eyes often lose some of the ability to expand their pupils. So that a 50yr old might only be able to allow their pupils to dialate to 5-6mm instead of 7mm. Which can affect how useful binos with a large exit pupil are for you. And an optometrist can check your pupils for you.

That said, you'll likely have crew of all ages onboard at times. And while I won't let kids play with my Steiners, I do keep another pair of 7x50's around for guests.

EDIT: I mention it in my other posts on binos, above, but when you're testing out various pairs against one another, put up an optical resolution chart. Preferably on a telephone pole 50-150m away in a line of sight from the store. It'll allow you to quantify the differences in how well various sets of bino's work for you. Especially if it's an overcast day, or near dusk/dawn.
The chart is similar in function to the one at the eye doc's office for exams. Which, that would likely work too, in lieu of the other chart above.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 16:39   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
I would suggest getting waterproof marine binoculars with a compass... oh wait, no need to do that, because noone needs to navigates anymore, nevermind.
I very rarely (if ever) use the compass in my binoculars for navigation. But it is VERY useful for determining whether a vessel on the horizon is on a collision course.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 18:07   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I very rarely (if ever) use the compass in my binoculars for navigation. But it is VERY useful for determining whether a vessel on the horizon is on a collision course.
Very true! Another use is to help locate some feature on shore (or elsewhere) that you've noted on a chart at a bearing of x degrees. Knowing exactly where to look is a big help.

Jim