Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2006, 20:44   #16
Kai Nui

Knottygirlz, if you and Rick were the rule instead of the exception, this thread would never have evolved. And, I agree with you about destroying props not being the ultimate solution. Still, there are a few out there that seem oblivious to the damage they cause. It is often much more than an anoyance. I have been sailing out of a harbor on more than one occasion in light winds, and had some Bozo come by with his wake driving my bow over and putting me in irons. Big deal in a narrow channel with no engine. Still, there are many who will slow down, and make the effort. Those are the ones who can count on me towing them in under sail when their engine dies. Of course that is easy to say sitting here in the slip. I have to admit while fighting to get wind back in my sails a few times, thinking about where my hand drill is and where the offending power boat is docked I really think allot of it is the complete lack of understanding many power boaters have of sailing. The idea that this sail boat may be and contain every posession the owner has in the world is not a concept that many weekend power boaters can relate too. The idea that the sail boat can not always just turn back on course is also beyond the comprehension of quite a few power boaters.
Old 13-11-2006, 00:17   #17

Quote:
I really think allot of it is the complete lack of understanding many power boaters have of sailing. The idea that this sail boat may be and contain every posession the owner has in the world is not a concept that many weekend power boaters can relate too. The idea that the sail boat can not always just turn back on course is also beyond the comprehension of quite a few power boaters.
You hit the nail on the head Kai. Don't hate...educate. Reminds me of a conversation often heard when bicycle commuters get together regarding the lack of courtesy automobile drivers show to cyclists. As a cyclist and a sailor I have learned that my energy is much better spent making educated friends out of the motor folks than being angry with them. On the monstrously huge power yacht that I work on we slow down for small boats be they oar sail or engine powered. We do experience quite alot of dangerous discourtesy from sailors though.
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 01:47   #18

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Of coarse if powerboaters had light,long, low powered powercats they'ed use less fuel and put out less wash.

It seems these boats are more interesting to ex yachties that understand how bloody anoying that wash can be.

Not only that but it makes a mess of the foreshore

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3182.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Powerplayphoto5.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	516  

Click image for larger version

Name:	phantom 12 100hp max 19kn given.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	517  
Old 13-11-2006, 05:11   #19
cruiser

MIKE!! No WAY! We had the same exact experience on the CT River heading up to Deep River. We had just passed the breakwater in the LI Sound and were heading up the river. We were in the narrow, shoaled channel heading up up into the first mile or so of the river. The boat in question was some kind of a fishing/commercial type vessel regestered in FL. It was about 80ft+. It came from behind us rather quietly (no sound to hear) and did not make any attempt to hail us (I was on 16), or to sound the danger signal. I was going 6 knots up the river. It proceeded to blast by us within 30 feet of our boat knocking our 26,000lbs down as well. My rail did hit the water and everything went flying. It was an act of gross irresponsibility. I couldn't believe this professional captain was so callous about this. People could very easily get hurt by this guy. My wife and I were thinking that if we were in our old boat (O'day 302), we would have surely sank.

I'm not sure how this guy can get away with this. He is leaving his company/owner open to MAJOR financial liabililty. We noticed he docked within about the first mile of the river as well, at a sort of state park looking area on the port side, heading up the river. Get a dozen eggs if you see him on the way back down. They aren't just for teenagers anymore.

This boat is not an example of a vessel constrained by its draft, nor is it a weekend warrior. It's a very incosiderate commercial vessel causing danger and driving a very large boat more than 6 knots (maybe 10?) up a narrow, shoaled waterway without any regard for others. I was doing 6 knots up that river - motoring with sails down. He was going about a mile up. Instead of calling on the VHF, making a passing agreement via horn, or just simply following me up the mile distance, he just blasts by and knocks us down.

Maybe we should find out the name of this boat and both report him. It's FL registered, and I think it was aluminum, if I can remember correclyt. I know what the bridge looks like and where it ties up.

As for suggestions on what you could have done - if it was indeed this same sitation we had, there isn't a thing you could have done, Mike. We were tight over to the starboard side of the channel risking a grounding to get as far out of this guy's way as possible once we saw him barreling down on us. (He was probably 50 feet astern when I heard the bow wake) In a confined space, you did the right thing. Just ride out the mess he caused and hope everything is ok. There really isn't anything you could do. I even tried hailing him on 16. No reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Mike
Yesterday as we headed back up the CT River to Deep River we were almost swamped by a large power boat. The Boat was moving at full speed and passed me on the stbd side in a narrow stretch of the river. It happened so fast there was not much I could do. Our boat is a 40 ketch, full keeled and almost 30K pounds and the wave hit us in such a way that our boat was tossed from side to side almost violently. This is my first year in the river, in the sound I would have tried to maneuver around but here I could not. Any suggestions as what I could have done? I would have thought that the capt of that boat would have understood that he was throwing up a huge wave and could cause some boats real issues.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 05:55   #20

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
[quote=Knottygirlz]This is not something that all power boaters do!

Knottygirlz, apparently you haven't boated in FL. On my first trip down the Caloosahatchee river, some six years ago, we actually counted. Only one powerboat in four reduced throttle or made any effort to make a safe pass. The trip that we recently made? The number dropped from 25% to 0% ... not one single powerboat passed us appropiately. While coming down the ICW from St Lucie to Fort Lauderdale, of the hundreds of powerboats that passed us, we counted 4 that made an effort towards safety.
As for why and what to do about it ... it's all very simple. Call on the radio to the CG, the Sherriff or anybody else you want ... absolutely nothing will be done to enforce the law regarding this ... and those powerboaters know it. Unless we can get some enforcement, all of the complaining, all of the education is a waste of time.

Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 06:27   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Weekends on the ICW in FL is hell. We try not to travel then especially in south FL. Education isn't working, if anything the problem is getting worse. As I said earlier you have to keep your eyes open and keep looking behind you. I've never seen the CG or local authorities do anything when a complaint is raised. The only time I saw the CG take action was when a sailboat threatened to shoot someone waking them. The CG ordered the sailboat to a slip and had the guy get off the boat with his hands in the air. He did have a rifle aboard too. This was at Wrightsville Beach about five or six years ago. Keep your eyes open and warn the others down the line. That's about all you can do.
Old 13-11-2006, 06:42   #22
cruiser

In all honesty, I don't have too much of a problem with power boats and their wakes while underway. The only time I find it annoying is at anchor, really... and one time in the Erie Canal with our mast tied on deck, thrashing around in a wake. Other than that... it's usually pretty small compared to open ocean conditions. (Just to note something positive on this thread)
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 06:50   #23

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Sean, it was actually a litter further up the river, just passed Essex Boat works, it really pissed me off. In all fairness though many do seem to slow down, but it only takes one to ruin your day, or hurt somebody. Now that I will be traveling the river to get to the sound I will certainly watch closely and if needed comfort offenders. Maybe that will be my new calling in life One observation; the only people who do not wave are the ones who are the worst offenders.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 08:51   #24

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Of coarse if powerboaters had light,long, low powered powercats they'ed use less fuel and put out less wash.

Dave
Oil at $200 a barrel ought to do it.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 09:04   #25

take photos or movie

Keep your camera or camcorder handy and take pics of the idiot. Be sure to get the name and hailing port. A picture is worth a thousand words. Send the information to the local authorities.

randy
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 10:16   #26

Deep River

Wow! I read about these adventures all over the world and here one happens right by me! I was along the CT River on Sat. - at Essex - where I was helping to stow the docks at my litle Yacht Club - Pettipaug. I live in Essex, and I remember you posting to me when I join this site (my thread was: Did I miss the Boat?).

So it got me thinking... I'm new also to sailing, and presently taking courses and reading all I can - I've also gotten out on some boats for races. I'm beginning the proces of what I belive wil take 4 years (till my youngest goes to college). Then I'm off to see the world!

If you might ever need a hand with some work you are doing on your boat, I be glad to lend my hands for the experience.

Rick
rossir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 10:37   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Weekends on the ICW in FL is hell. "
And every water patrol in FL will agree with that. BWI is a major problem, the ICW is lined with bars and docked party boats and for some reason, none of them ever serve enough booze to properly and completely immobilize the clients.
A law requiring all drinks to be sold and served by the liter instead of the shot probably would do it.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 12:02   #28

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Rick,

That is a dangerous offer! Just kidding. Actually it happened on Saturday about 1330, I was about a mile up river of Essex Boat Works. Once we start working on the boat again I will certainly give you a call, if only to help me finish off any beer that may be sitting around.

Mike
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 12:49   #29

Boat: C&C 27
Me and a buddy were rebuilding a big Carver one year and I got to talk to a bunch of the powerboat crowd being on that part of the dock. I'll never forget this one guy who had a Tiara laughing about how he liked to upset the sail boats. In my cruisinig club we were introducing new members and whenever someone would say they have X powerboat half the crowd would yell. The next guy had Y Sailboat and the other half yelled. That is the wrong kind of competition.

This is not to say that all powerboaters are bad guys because they are not. I've also seen sailboats run right through the middle of a racing fleet as dangerous and stupid as that is, right of way or not. The bottom line is that we all have to be more considerate of the everybody on the water. Maybe that guy shouldn't be fishing in the middle of the channel (or whatever) but it is still no reason to send him swimming.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 13:17   #30

I am going to make a blanket statement (there are exceptions of course:

Power boat operators and less skilled seaman and less considerate on the water than sailboat operators.

The exceptions include working boats and serious sport fisherman.

The worst offenders are cigarette boats and floating condo's with sliding glass doors.

Just something I observed over 21 yrs on the water.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote