Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2021, 16:37   #1

Boat recommendations to travel from West Coast US to Panama

I am new to boating and was thinking of buying a boat and sailing it to Panama, but the broker said the type of boat I was looking at was not a good fit. What type of boat do I need? I was looking at a 42' Ponderosa Sun Deck. If that boat would not be suitable, what would be a good recommendation?
thcecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 16:55   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Boat recommendations to travel from West Coast US to Panama

[emoji897][emoji41]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 18:14   #3

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Hi, Cecil, this comes across as the classic troll post.
If you’re serious, then more info please.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 18:20   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

You need more than the best possible boat--and there are hundreds of boat designs that can do the trip; you need to be the right type of person.
You need experience. Before you have that, you have to be a beginner. This is not a beginner voyage. Start by being a beginner, and by the time you have the experience to contemplate such a voyage, you'll know what kind of boat you need.
Old 15-07-2021, 20:52   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The Ponderosa would probably make it to Panama, but there are two places you have to transit where the winds have names. Like most trawlers, it would probably roll your guts out in a beam sea. Look at boats with stabilizers/paravanes.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 08:55   #6

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

That design is wide open to water flooding from the deck, or from a broken sliding window in the main cabin, all the way to the bilge. And you'll want a boat with more stability as it's all downwind and strong winds abeam.

Nearly any keel sailboat and most catamarans properly equipped and under experienced captain, can safely make this voyage. If you insist on a power boat, take advice of that broker as he seems to know much more than you at this point.
Old 16-07-2021, 09:27   #7

Thank you all for your suggestions. the reason for the trip is that we live in panama and instead of buying a house in panama, we thought we might be just as well off to live on a boat. Would the crossing be any easier from the East Coast or Gulf of Mex?
thcecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 10:15   #8

I think the boat you mention is more of an inland waterway boat. Can you cross an ocean with it? Sure if you can also buy heaps of luck in advance.

If you want a trawler style boat instead of a sailboat, and I completely understand having that preference, then look at a more legitimate trawler like DeFever or Fleming.

Also, I'd look for the boat already there or nearby. Just getting a boat like that to Panama is gonna cost real money and require heaps of expensive preparation to be done in reasonable safety. Instead you could buy the boat nearby and then have all the money from NOT transporting it from here to there. Likely tens or thousands of dollars not to mention all the wear and tear you'd save that will decrease the life of everything on the boat. I'd look on both sides of the canal for that boat too.

Once there you are gonna need a boat with some serious power generation from wind, solar, hamster wheels and anything else that doesn't mean running a diesel genset 24/7. Better quality boats are gonna have better everything (usually) to support the lifestyle you are gonna want once there.

Good luck!
SpillTheWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 12:02   #9

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Contrary to what some others have said, I think a Ponderosa would be fine for that trip. As with any voyage the key is picking your weather windows and having patience. I really believe the most dangerous piece of equipment on a boat is a calendar.

As far as open crossings, there really are none on the west coast if you follow normal cruising routes. The secret for the Gulfs is to "keep one foot on the shore", especially with a boat that is subject to rolling. There will be some spots where it will not be comfortable, but that is boating. If done right nothing dangerous.

Some thoughts for you to consider.

1. It will take a substantial amount of fuel for this trip, the cost of which should be factored into the purchase price. If there are any mechanical issues it could be difficult to obtain parts. Finding mechanics is a bit less of an issue.

2. There are often many good boats for sale in Panama and I would check those out before bringing one down the coast. Not just around Panama City, but also in Boca del Toro. Lots of cruisers up there and plans change so they come available off and on.

3. The Ponderosa, and pretty much any power boat, are fine for cruising to the islands in Panama. Distances are short and, with patience and today's forecasting tools, you would pretty much never need to get caught out in bad weather.

4. Bringing a boat down from the west coast of the US is much easier than from the east coast. Weather patterns are much different on those two routes.

I have done trips between California and the east coast and going to Panama the trip from the west coast is much easier, if longer.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 09:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thcecil View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. the reason for the trip is that we live in panama and instead of buying a house in panama, we thought we might be just as well off to live on a boat. Would the crossing be any easier from the East Coast or Gulf of Mex?
No, the GOM can be a nasty body of water.

Where in Panama do you plan to end up?
Old 17-07-2021, 09:23   #11

Something to consider is that the fuel cost will be considerable. Might be cost effective to ship it down. Less wear/damage to the boat, easier logistics, quicker, etc.

SuperServant loads/unloads in Golfito CR, just short run to Panama.

Tags
boat, men, Panama, west coast