Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 15:47   #1

Boat: Sovereign Adventure 23
Bungee cord auto pilot

Ok, who out there uses bungee cords or the like to keep her steady when solo sailing and needing to go forward for a moment or two?

Need some ideas for doing this from some of you seasoned sailors.

I have a Sovereign 23 Adventure. Wife is physically limited so it's just me for the most part.

Thanks
Sovereign85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 16:07   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Bungee cord auto pilot

We have a rake but it is only a moment, not two. We have a 26' long keel boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:32   #3

Boat: South Coast 36

Hi
Google sheet to tiller steering (Utube), I have done this on my Compass 28, there is several different methods, & old school books around on the subject (EBay).
you will need some shackles, blocks, spectra/or non stretch cord for best results, and of cause the bungie cord. The bungie cord will all be cut at the same length, but must be at different thicknesses or doubled and tripled up, for the different wind strengths that you will be sailing in.

hope this gets you started

Cheers

Shane
Sea Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Here is a PDF that will give you lots of ideas http://www.jesterinfo.org/selfsteeri...hapter%203.pdf
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Scamp View Post
Hi
Google sheet to tiller steering (Utube), I have done this on my Compass 28, there is several different methods, & old school books around on the subject (EBay).
you will need some shackles, blocks, spectra/or non stretch cord for best results, and of cause the bungie cord. The bungie cord will all be cut at the same length, but must be at different thicknesses or doubled and tripled up, for the different wind strengths that you will be sailing in.

hope this gets you started

Cheers

Shane
Actually don't use bungee cord use surgical tubing they both stretch different the bungee is an additive streach the surgical tube is linear
Old 05-12-2015, 15:40   #6

]Actually don't use bungee cord use surgical tubing they both stretch different the bungee is an additive streach the surgical tube is linear

I used cheap bungie cord & cut up old halyards, which all worked fin, and cost nothing to get started.

Then then once I had all the different lengths & strengths worked out, replaced it with the light weight micro blocks, spectra & rubber.

But thanks for the scientific analysis of something simple, just wondering if you have actually done this.
Old 05-12-2015, 16:23   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Scamp View Post
]Actually don't use bungee cord use surgical tubing they both stretch different the bungee is an additive streach the surgical tube is linear

I used cheap bungie cord & cut up old halyards, which all worked fin, and cost nothing to get started.

Then then once I had all the different lengths & strengths worked out, replaced it with the light weight micro blocks, spectra & rubber.

But thanks for the scientific analysis of something simple, just wondering if you have actually done this.
Actually I do use the storm jib technique shown in the PDF I posted on my islander Bahama. The spencer is wheel so I use the auto helm.
Old 05-12-2015, 22:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actually I do use the storm jib technique shown in the PDF I posted on my islander Bahama. The spencer is wheel so I use the auto helm.
Nice,
the storm jib is the way to go, especially when pointing. Of cause, that is as long as you have the inner stay for one.

As for my South Coast 36, she to is a wheel steer job, so I am in the process of making up a jig that I saw in a book for sheet to wheel steering, first reason because I can't have a wind vane, due to the duck & davits, and secondly because I just want to play around with it.

Cheers

Shane
Old 05-12-2015, 22:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't have an inner stay I actually use a jib sail off of a snipe hooked to my back stantion base for pulpit and raise it with my topping lift works great on my lil 24 futter. Would love to see the sheet to wheel setup for the spencer.
Old 06-12-2015, 23:00   #10

Quote:
I actually use a jib sail off of a snipe hooked to my back stantion base for pulpit and raise it with my topping lift works great on my lil 24 futter. Would love to see the sheet to wheel setup for the spencer.
Nice,
I'm pretty sure Slocum used a similar set up on the back of his spray, with the aid of a few lengths of bamboo.

I enjoy setting up the self steering, then sitting back and watching it all work, It took me a few go's to get it right.

The old pic of the wheel steer job I saw, was a timber wheel with holes drilled into it for adjustments, pretty basic but apparently worked.

it's good knowing that i'm not the only one trying this, and that there are more out there wanting too.

Cheers
Old 18-12-2015, 23:16   #11

Boat: Viking 30

Hey Sea Scamp
I' love to hear more about your ideas for sheet to wheel self steering. I had a lot of success with sheet to tiller. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MollyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 02:49   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Actually don't use bungee cord use surgical tubing they both stretch different the bungee is an additive streach the surgical tube is linear
How does an elastic substance stretch at a "linear" rate?
I can see where as surgical tubing's resistance curve might not be as steep as that of bungee cord, at least on the lower end of the curve. But I know that when I had a Wrist Rocket, the further back I pulled things, the progressively harder it got to pull. And they use the same materials for progressive resistance training; both in the gym, & in physical therapsy.

Might you be kind enough to clarify please.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 07:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
How does an elastic substance stretch at a "linear" rate? ............................
.................................................. .................

Might you be kind enough to clarify please.
Another poster, just the other day, posted this link to a download of Letcher's book

Self-steering for Sailing Craft

I know it doesn't answer your question on this forum, but the answer is in the book. I have a hard copy of the book and the answer is two or three paragraphs long, too long for me to type them out.

I used sheet to tiller on my Catalina 25 for many years, and he's right, bungee cord sucks for this application and the surgical tubing is much better.

Basically, IIRC, since the tubing is hollow, it acts differently than bungee cord which is just bundled up elastic.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 07:58   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The simplest approach for most boats is simply to keep the jib in and let the main all the way out. The boat will balance on a very close reach for long periods. Works best on tiller steered boats. Not the direction you had in mind? Tough. Do what you had to do and then return to proper course.

The problem with most methods is they are sensitive to wind speed and trim.
Old 20-12-2015, 05:23   #15

Boat: Viking 30

Short trips forward or below are not an issue. With the boat balanced she'll happily stay on course. If necessary I can use a tensioning clamp built in to the wheel steering to effectively lock the helm and for longer escapes there is always the auto helm to turn to. I have often wondered though about a method to self steer (without a vane) for extended distances, just haven't been able to unearth any info on it having been done before.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
MollyJo is offline   Reply With Quote