Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2019, 11:06   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Catamaran Sailing in Squalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
It has to be a very lightweight catamaran with large sails to go over... Most likely, something will break.

On my ex Lagoon 450, I could feel & hear the tension on the rigging. The boat would hum. When I would hear that, I knew the boat was overstressed.

Reef early and reef deep. There is no reason to stress the boat and passengers.

Just my humble opinion. And I was speaking of tris which I believe are probably less susceptible to going tits up. Someone on deck striking sails every 30 to 60 minutes doesn't make sends.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:08   #17

Quote:
I am just describing my own experience. If my Lagoon 450 would have lifted a hull, it would have been a miracle. Maybe, I was careful.

I have seen pictures of a fellow catamaran cruiser lifting a hull, but he had a lightweight performance catamaran and his goal was speed.

Sorry for the thread shift... I will stop.
Yeah, I hear you, mine was a Lagoon 42. Never lifted a hull. I'd say in that 35 knots/full sails I was caught in, maybe the hull lifted an inch +. But that is what's scary! You get no warning like a mono.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:46   #18

I'd rather error on the conservative side. Being heeled enough to have wind under the bridge deck would be scary. Listening to the standing rigging to decide to reef I guess that is your prerogative.
Old 10-12-2019, 14:00   #19

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'd rather error on the conservative side. Being heeled enough to have wind under the bridge deck would be scary. Listening to the standing rigging to decide to reef I guess that is your prerogative.
Maybe I was not descriptive enough, but that is not what I said, or meant to say... I did not wait for the rigging to tell me it is time to reef...

I always reefed earlier and more conservativelly than the factory recomendations. But, there are more variables than wind speed that affect reefing points (overloading, point of sail, sea state, etc.).

I knew that I had not reefed enough when I could hear the rigging hum, even though I had reefed as recommended if not more.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 14:48   #20

pirate Re: Catamaran Sailing in Squalls

Since YOU asked, I believe I am allowed to respond--- If you are going water sailing">blue water sailing, get a mono-hull.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 14:57   #21

Quote:
Maybe I was not descriptive enough, but that is not what I said, or meant to say... I did not wait for the rigging to tell me it is time to reef...

I always reefed earlier and more conservativelly than the factory recomendations. But, there are more variables than wind speed that affect reefing points (overloading, point of sail, sea state, etc.).

I knew that I had not reefed enough when I could hear the rigging hum, even though I had reefed as recommended if not more.
I think you should throw the factory recommendations overboard. Get your own experience and err on the safe side.
Old 10-12-2019, 15:28   #22

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
Since YOU asked, I believe I am allowed to respond--- If you are going blue water sailing, get a mono-hull.

Of course you can respond, but perhaps you should respond to the question asked and not be a troll? The OP asked how to handle squalls in a catamaran; he/she did not ask what kind of boat best handles squalls. And if he had asked that question, you’d still be wrong.

For the OP, as others have already described, reef the main to be properly or slightly over powered during the gusts and use the furling jib/genoa to add or remove power more easily.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 15:30   #23

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I think you should throw the factory recommendations overboard. Get your own experience and err on the safe side.
I agree. I did exactly what you said.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 15:41   #24
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Since YOU asked, I believe I am allowed to respond--- If you are going blue water sailing, get a mono-hull.

Your response is noticed and disregarded.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 18:28   #25

Thing is...when you sail into a squall, you have NO idea what the winds are OR the direction.

Sailing around under large CBs with a reef. or a couple of reefs in the main and HOPING that the winds aren't in the 50 knots plus range is just asking for trouble in a cat IMHO.

Also, anytime there is moderate to severe convective activity there is also the chance of a micro-burst...THAT could ruin your day.

I dunno about some of the responses.....I would have NO idea how to trim for bubbles and twists when i have no frigging idea what the winds will be doing once you enter the squall.

As to the squall itself, are we talking rain showers with clouds in the sub 20,000' range, or are we talking monster CBs that can easily exceed 40,000'? That could make a difference in how one may set one's sails.

Also, day or night? How about radar to interpret the severity of the storms?
Old 10-12-2019, 18:40   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcapital View Post
Not a complete answer by any means (and there's different good answers for differing conditions, levels and nature of experience and rig age, strength etc......but, depowering is a very important tool. For headsails, move the lead aft...even a lot. For main - don't drop the traveler, keep it high while easing the sheet and vang (a bit but not too much!). The idea is for the upper part of the sails to twist a lot and luff (with a bubble, but not flogging), decreasing the power they generate and lowering their center of effort (and heeling force....which on a cat translates to stress on the rig & structures).

This approach is not meant to replace awareness and caution, but, along with active helmsmanship can keep a boat in a sort of sweet spot with strong headway without undue stresses. For the racing sailor they can become second nature (and, developing the sensitivity and technique is a good reason to do some racing and heavy weather sailing in small boats).

We all sometimes will be caught napping, lazy or underestimating the threat - so learning and practicing such techniques is valuable. When I was younger I looked for the windiest days and biggest seas for the thrill of speed and pushing to the limits (and sometimes beyond...hence a few small-boat dismastings, many capsizes- but fortunately never any serious injuries!). But - like intentionally driving on a frozen lake or taking instruction on a winter driving course, what's been learned and become routine is valuable in times where the unexpected is suddenly in your face.
Most cruising cats don't have a vang or adjustable jib sheet tracks. It's pretty much pinch until you can reef.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 19:09   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

Since who asked? No one said anything about "blue water sailing" or type of boat. The only question was quite quite simple - sail plan during squalls on a catamaran.

Just another example of your usual anti-multihull trolling.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:48   #28

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I dunno about some of the responses.....I would have NO idea how to trim for bubbles and twists when i have no frigging idea what the winds will be doing once you enter the squall.
The OP has described typical tradewinds sailing, with relatively frequent squalls coming across his course. And, if you pay attention here on CF is known to be sailing the Windward Islands of the Caribbean, a pretty typical tradewinds sailing area.

In my experience (YMMV) squalls of this type tend to shift wind less than 30 degrees and increase wind less than a factor of 2. So I do have an idea what the winds will be doing once I enter a squall. Under those conditions I do exactly as I posted up above (and you were apparently referring to me based on the "bubble").

Also as noted, that covers about 75-80% of our squally weather sailing. It is a different beast in the ITCZ, the SPCZ, in lightning weather (even in the trades), or crossing from the trades to the moderate latitudes. We sail differently in those conditions because the convective issues you describe are much more prevalent. But we try to not to spend a lot of time sailing there, it's just not pleasant.

Quite frankly, where the OP is currently sailing, I'd be more concerned about orographic bursts in the lee of some of the Caribbean islands. I've never experienced a bad convective microburst for which I wasn't prepared (see comments regarding location, lightning, etc.), I have experienced bad clear-air events. Enough that I prefer to sail on the windward side of the islands whenever possible.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 17:01   #29

Quote:
The OP has described typical tradewinds sailing, with relatively frequent squalls coming across his course. And, if you pay attention here on CF is known to be sailing the Windward Islands of the Caribbean, a pretty typical tradewinds sailing area.
Ouch! Well, I do pay attention and NOTHING in the OP said anything about his location. Obviously you are more familiar with the original poster than myself.

The title of the original post wasn't "Catamaran Sailing in Squalls at the Windwards"

BTW, I just sailed the Windwards for a good part of October. We had our share of squally weather, so am a bit familiar.

Quote:
In my experience (YMMV) squalls of this type tend to shift wind less than 30 degrees and increase wind less than a factor of 2. So I do have an idea what the winds will be doing once I enter a squall. Under those conditions I do exactly as I posted up above (and you were apparently referring to me based on the "bubble").
I wouldn't disagree based on what we experienced in the WINDWARDS.....and yes, you are the one that mentioned the "bubble" I didn't find it necessary to mention WHO posted it.

Quote:
Also as noted, that covers about 75-80% of our squally weather sailing. It is a different beast in the ITCZ, the SPCZ, in lightning weather (even in the trades), or crossing from the trades to the moderate latitudes. We sail differently in those conditions because the convective issues you describe are much more prevalent. But we try to not to spend a lot of time sailing there, it's just not pleasant.
I will admit I have no experience SAILING in the ITCZ or the SPCZ.....but I would love to learn how most experienced catamaran sailors deal with the weather there.
Old 16-12-2019, 06:50   #30

Boat: Lagoon 380

Our “reefing plan” also calls for the first reef in 20 knots, and sometimes we do. But I know that the boat will not lift a hull before 37 knots true wind. Downwind in squally condition on the ARC we used this sailsetting: full main, gennaker pooled out with the 22’ pole, 2/3 genoa to lee. Gennaker and genua rolled partly in, when the squalls arrived.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9DDC1634-CD0E-4A82-BE2E-3774C1E8D2FE.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	205179  
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, sail, sailing