Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 22:38   #31

Boat: Formosa 41 CT Garden Ketch. Wind Rose Hull #282. i am looking for her!
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songlines View Post
My wife and I are in the process of selling it all and starting the cruising life. We have looked at hundreds of boats and always come back to center cockpit ketch rigged boats. Are there any concerns I should be aware of that are unique to a center cockbit boat (such as the design not performing well into the wind or too much freeboard that hurts performance)?

I know there is no perfect boat so we want to balance creature comfort with sailing performance. Any thoughs on the topic would be appreciated.

Steve
---------------------------
Steve-
I heard if you lengthen the boom you wont have a problem catching the wind! My fathers Boat was modified so it would not have problems in light air, or in the Horse Latitudes. I am a novice so i also would like any opinions on this also!

Hope that at least gives you an idea.
Find Wind Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:59   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Wind Rose View Post
---------------------------
Steve-
I heard if you lengthen the boom you wont have a problem catching the wind! My fathers Boat was modified so it would not have problems in light air, or in the Horse Latitudes. I am a novice so i also would like any opinions on this also!

Hope that at least gives you an idea.
i have a boat like yours---formosa--they do not sail well to weather--they are full keel and need a bit of a stiff breeze to move their weight around...their sails are already quite large---18+ foot of boom doesnt hold a small sail....they donot go well to weather, but many are able to trim them to perform slightly better than they actually should---i appreciate a heavy boat with the problem of sailing upright for cruising---is why i bought mine--it does just that....i donot expect it to go to weather and i expect her to sail like a brick....i like that in a cruising boat---is a benefit rather than a hindrance. i have cruised in performance sloops and cutters--i am very much looking forward to cruising my formosa....should be nice and slow and easy...LOL.....just what i wanted!!! i keep hearing formosa and ct owners complaining about not being able to sail closer to the wind---but --remember, gentlemen never sail to weather.......is ok for someone else to chill the beer for ye---they will be worn out when they arrive soo early to an anchorage that we take forever to get to---
mot of the heavy cruising boats have hydraulic steering--is able to actually steer the boat--is less work than the alternative--is a lot of boat to muscle around....auto pilots are a bit more reliable when mounted on the quadrant rather than the wheel--as far as i have been able to tell from my experiences.......have fun!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 18:19   #33

Boat: Formosa 41 CT Garden Ketch. Wind Rose Hull #282. i am looking for her!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have a boat like yours---formosa--they do not sail well to weather--they are full keel and need a bit of a stiff breeze to move their weight around...their sails are already quite large---18+ foot of boom doesnt hold a small sail....they donot go well to weather, but many are able to trim them to perform slightly better than they actually should---i appreciate a heavy boat with the problem of sailing upright for cruising---is why i bought mine--it does just that....i donot expect it to go to weather and i expect her to sail like a brick....i like that in a cruising boat---is a benefit rather than a hindrance. i have cruised in performance sloops and cutters--i am very much looking forward to cruising my formosa....should be nice and slow and easy...LOL.....just what i wanted!!! i keep hearing formosa and ct owners complaining about not being able to sail closer to the wind---but --remember, gentlemen never sail to weather.......is ok for someone else to chill the beer for ye---they will be worn out when they arrive soo early to an anchorage that we take forever to get to---
mot of the heavy cruising boats have hydraulic steering--is able to actually steer the boat--is less work than the alternative--is a lot of boat to muscle around....auto pilots are a bit more reliable when mounted on the quadrant rather than the wheel--as far as i have been able to tell from my experiences.......have fun!!!
Ya i heard that saying gentlemen never sail to weather. My dad was not the one to modify the boom. He always wanted to change that, for thoses reasons you mentioned.
thanks for jogging my memory!
Find Wind Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 18:33   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Wind Rose View Post
Ya i heard that saying gentlemen never sail to weather. My dad was not the one to modify the boom. He always wanted to change that, for thoses reasons you mentioned.
thanks for jogging my memory!
these boats are well loved or well cursed by owners----many times owners do both !!!!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 19:47   #35

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Mine was allot wetter then I thought it would be in the stink and suprized me a little bit so thoes mentioning closer to the splashy end know what they are talking about... but this being the largest blow-boat I have ever been on, I have no comparison between the two in like conditions we were in which was blowing the tops of of waves and pelting us anyway...

What someone said about cock pit drainage is true enough though and is a concern I have yet to deal with, but I will...also there is little to no bridge deck in most CC..so keep that in mind as well. a secure way of locking the bottom half of your companion way door is going to be a must.

Other then that I am very, very happy so far ( well as happy as i can be at this moment..)...and FWIW.. Were only 41' and there is zero issue with comprimized room below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_3610.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	9250   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_0240.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	9251  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:05   #36

there is a group in yahoo--formosa owners group--has addressed this problem---come to join us--everyone in the group has a formosa/ct/hardin/leaky teaky--and share all the info they are able to find with each other--interesting stuff with our boats!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 15:03   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there is a group in yahoo--formosa owners group--has addressed this problem---come to join us--everyone in the group has a formosa/ct/hardin/leaky teaky--and share all the info they are able to find with each other--interesting stuff with our boats!!!
Were you addressing me ?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 09-08-2009, 16:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Were you addressing me ?
only if you have a ct/formosa/hardin/taiwanese boat--but your avvie says you have an irwin, so probably not--i was addressing the fella with the leaky teaky like mine lol.....have a goood day!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 20:55   #39

Great thoughts all..... Thx.

Let me clarify on the "project boat". Maybe it's a semi project boat. It's more of a refit, a heck of a lot of sanding and a complete electrical overhaul. We certainly plan on a survey and expect to spend quite a bit of time working hard to get her ready. But hey, we'll know the boat when we are done!!! And have moore beer storage!!!
Songlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 00:23   #40

Boat: Gulfstar 40cc
Hi Steve,

We own a Gulfstar 40CC and sailed Europe, the Med, US of A, the Carib - did some transatlantic crossings. It has a walk-over design which results in a huge engineroom and very easy access for maintenance and stowing lots of equipement and spareparts. Another advantage (my wife said) is the very secure feeling in the cockpit because it's more "built-in" rather than "built-on top" We are owners since 1993 - did some serious sailing - has some nasty weather (42-45 knots for 30 hours between Bermuda and the Acores) and always have the feeling of a very secure and stable ship. Compared to the one we owned before (a 42 foot Swedish built cruiser/racer with aft cockpit) she is certainly not producing more spray. Next ship? maybe a Taswell 43 /Hallberg-Rassy
sokkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 17:42   #41

Welcome Aboard Sokkum...Great first post

Old 29-04-2012, 06:08   #42

Boat: Niagara 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako
They are very popular and will keep the green water out of the cockpit, although maybe not the bow spray! There is something secure feeling about being higher up in the center cockpit and visibility is slightly better especially docking... One of my favorite well built older ones is the Waquiez Amphitrite 43...
I know this post is old, but I have come across a 1981 Amphitrite 43 that I am seriously interested in. This boat seems to have everytthing on our wish list. There arent many around though and I was wondering if you knew of any 'gotchas' to watch out for with them?
Drobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 09:41   #43

Re: Center Cockpit Sailboats and Blue Water Cruising

I am not aware of any. The old Waquiez are some of the best built boats I've seen. Many of the Amphitrite models do have teak decks though. I have seen one without those. That's a lot of teak... so have it surveyed. Other than the deck, not a lot of teak to keep up. It likely has a Perkins 4-108 (?) these boats really seem to hold their value.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 09:51   #44

Boat: Niagara 42

The one I have my eye on has no teak decks and a Perkins 154-4, 62 HPl engine with a Hurth HBW 250 3R reverse gear. It has about 4200 hours of use.

The only minor drawback I can see with this vessel is that none of them have had lines led back to the cockpit, however the main and gib sheets are close to the helm. It is also a Ketch rig, and though i have no experience with them, it seem to be well suited to a bluewater cruiser.

Dan
Drobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 10:00   #45

yeah, most were ketches. My preference is to have the halyards and reefing at the mast, but that's not for everyone. Plenty of flat deck and firm footing up there on this model. If it doesnt have them, you could add "sissy bars", they are pretty handy. The 4-154 is a great engine, but a little less easy to find parts for than the 4-108 and 4-236.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit