Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 08:12   #136

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Collision avoidance at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
Just Only if he is on port tack might he have some doubt and try to take avoiding action first, but that will take time as he must first gybe which will require him to pull the main onto the centreline, whilst bearing away onto a run, let out the main, and only then round up on starboard.
Why do you think he would need to gybe? You don't need to do a U-turn to avoid collision. It's already been pointed out in this thread.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:44   #137

If he is on port he is the burdened vessel anyway and falling off from a run would very likely cause a jibe...that is what i would do if i were him
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 16:10   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars View Post
If he is on port he is the burdened vessel anyway and falling off from a run would very likely cause a jibe...that is what i would do if i were him

I assume that by "burdened" you mean the most restricted, i.e. "under an obligation to maintain course and speed" and by "privileged" you mean with freedom to manouever i.e ."at liberty to take whatever action you deem appropriate to avoid collision" ?

If my assumption is incorrect, please provide authoritative definitions of these terms.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 16:18   #139

The priviledged vessel is the stand on vessel the burdened vessell is the give way vessell ..at least here in umerica
Old 03-05-2020, 18:27   #140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The priviledged vessel is the stand on vessel the burdened vessell is the give way vessell ..at least here in umerica

Which is completely contrary to the common meaning of the words.

As I said, please provide an authoritative reference.
Old 03-05-2020, 18:45   #141

Just type burdened vessel into your google thing and you will get thousands. Its an old term we used to use when we were actually sailing on water with wind and boats..not often known by the internet sailor.
Old 03-05-2020, 18:51   #142

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Stu, I believe "burdened" means the vessel which has the obligation to keep clear of the other vessel by any means. He is "burdened" by this obligation. The other vessel in that case is the "stand-on" vessel.
Old 03-05-2020, 18:53   #143

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Just type burdened vessel into your google thing and you will get thousands. Its an old term we used to use when we were actually sailing on water with wind and boats..not often known by the internet sailor.
I'll take that as a "No, I can't provide an authoritative reference".

Used to use? - Yes.
Should use today - Emphatically no!

There is a very good reason why the terms "burdened" and "priviliged" were dropped nearly 50 years ago and should no longer be used.

(Just like your mis-use earlier of the expression "right of way")

FWIW, here's a good explanation:

"Contrary to popular belief, the phrase ‘right of way’ is never mentioned once in the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (IRPCS). Prior to 1977, vessels were called either burdened or privileged in potential collision situations, which may have led to the assumption that the privileged vessel had right of way at all costs. One can just imagine a boater standing before an admiralty law judge pleading, “But your Honor, I was the privileged vessel and I thought I could do anything I wanted!” Today, the steering and sailing rules of COLREGS are based instead on actions by a give-way vessel and actions by a stand-on vessel."
Old 03-05-2020, 19:24   #144

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Oh come now. If it was daytime and the other vessel was on port, then she would very likely fall off to "take your stern" - would it horrify you to be passing ahead of her then?
Daytime and night time are different.... a bit like night and day one might say....

During the day you can see t'other boats heading...... at night you can not... and will have no idea how 'clear ahead' you are going to pass...and then when you get in her wind shadow you will slow down... she shall run you down and your boat will sink and then you will drown.... the end...
Old 03-05-2020, 20:27   #145

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

As is often the case I'm late to the party. I've read the thread but haven't analyzed and sourced all the long posts so I'm taking a practical bent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A quick tack is the right action to take -- not faffing with VHF or searchlights. The Rules are clear about what to do.
Communication is never faffing about. Searchlights are not communication unless your Morse is good. di-dah-dah dah di-di-dah-dit di-di-dah-dah-di-dit.

I saw one post talk about how far apart the boats are. That is a really critical element in decision making. Maybe I missed something reading too fast.

Lots of attention to the option of changing course but not enough to the option of changing speed. "Downshifting" is often an outstanding choice. It doesn't take much to rub off two knots and that can quickly change a scenario if done early enough.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 20:56   #146
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I saw one post talk about how far apart the boats are. That is a really critical element in decision making. Maybe I missed something reading too fast.

The range is not given in the question.

I posted it must be at least two miles however on checking I realised I was wrong. I should have said it must be at least 1 mile.

This based on the minimum side nav light range and being an exam question, it is presumed that all the will be vessels complying with the colregs.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 21:56   #147

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Which makes it a bad question.

BTW I've seen recreational nav lights much further out than a mile. That's minimum and in good weather conditions you can see lights a lot further away.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 22:30   #148

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I posted it must be at least two miles however on checking I realised I was wrong. I should have said it must be at least 1 mile.

This based on the minimum side nav light range and being an exam question, it is presumed that all the will be vessels complying with the colregs.
Wouldn't it be the reverse of that? The minimum range of the light being the maximum range at which you could spot it, except that "minimum" implies that the light could also be visible from much further off.

I'm not sure it's a bad question though; on a dark night without radar, and all you can see is the light? Judging distance by eye will be... difficult.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 22:39   #149

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname

Which makes it a bad question.

No, it makes it a realistic question. If you can rapidly and accurately determine the distance to an unknown vessel based on just a single green light on a steady bearing you're a lot smarter than the average bear.
Old 03-05-2020, 22:39   #150

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Which makes it a bad question.....
Not at all... its an exam question... unless told otherwise you can assume that you are able to manoeuver as you wish and have the sea room to do so.
You have had the light in sight long enough to determine it is on a steady bearing..

Tags
collision