Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2019, 13:35   #31

Re: Comfort and capzie ratios

Thanks!! Great idea and that's the plan! Gotta finish wiring, new plumbing systems, installing the Cape Horn vane and put some hours breaking in my rebuilt 2GM20F Yanmar. The boat has not seen its new sails yet! And more......

But shooting for Jan!
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 09:44   #32

Boat: 1984 Pearson 34, Sirena

I had a P34, 1984. The 33 is a shortened version of the 34. The 34 is fast and light. It pounds terribly when working to windward in heavy chop or seas or when anchoring in those conditions. I changed boats because I was too impatient to wait out the weather. It is about the same as a 34 Hunter or Benateau and those are everywhere. It is a choice, fast and light or heavy and stable. I guess you can get both with the application of a lot of money. Dale
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 00:36   #33

Hi guys

Did Not read all But some.
Much talk about numbers beeing bs and the captain makes the boa

That might hold true for races.
But than again... Race boats Are only designed by nembers.
The Most complex number crunching on the Planet...

I Find ted brewers numbers on comfort do Match my experiences quite well.

Of corse you will Not feel a difference of 5%. But you can feel double numbers.
And by the way... If the captain makes the boat... Why Are you All having Airbags in your car?
Ibetitsthisway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:44   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What Gz Curves Tell Us about a Sailboat's Static Stability
https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/gz-curves.html
Unfortunately they are not available for thousands of older boats.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:22   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Unfortunately they are not available for thousands of older boats.

thats why I think teds numbers on capzising are better for an orientation at least, than flying completely blindfoldet...
Ibetitsthisway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 16:35   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Cool.

But I found the same comfort numbers utter bs.

And I would bet some money on whoever has invented the ratio skewed it towards his own designs ...

I would not say this, but I did sail one or more boats that had very high comfort ratios and that were completely useless in the seaway. Rolling your guts out.

Unless ones ideal of comfort is spending their life in a cradle.

I want a boat that is stiff and one that does not roll. This is what I call comfort. 'Gentle rolling motion'? NO, thanks!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 17:12   #37

Having had a beer or two with Ted Brewer, I am QUITE prepared to believe him when he sez he invented to "comfort ratio" as a spoof on those who don't know when enuff is enuff :-)!

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 22:09   #38
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcalahan View Post
Hello,

I didnt know which forum to post but, here goes.

I have been live aboard/sailing since late '70s and 98% was Intercoastal and early a lot of racing.

Now at 69 have spent 2 1/2 rebuilding a 1972 Pearson 33. I planned to leave Jan for 6-8 months the Bahamas and sadly I will be tweaking my destination points. That being said....my question.

I was told by a sailing FB group that the P33 is a coastal cruiser. I get that, however don't fundamentally agree. Given a good weather window, a sound (everything in the boat is new) and prudent, cautious attitude will I be okay??? Yes....anything can happen....

I have been following 2 YT video bloggers that are on similar boats. 1st is a 1972 Pearson 36 and the 2nd is a 1971 Pearson 35.

Here are Saildata's stats:

Pearson 36 Comfort 27.02 Capsize 1.86
Pearson 35 Comfort 33.41 Capsize 1.70
Pearson 33 Comfort 28.15 Capsize 1.81

I do realize numbers are just that...numbers. The P36 and P35 seem to be doing fine offshore. The P36 is in Nova Scotia after extensive Carribean Cruising now heading to England. The P35 cruised also thruout Caribbean and (I think) currently in Dominican Republic.

What do these numbers mean? I have not been able to find anyone who I believed convinced me they really knew.

To me....the numbers are so close, I feel I will be fine. Again....I understand there are seamanship and weather variables.

Thanks.....go!
Regarding COMFORT, there are the numbers and then there is the individual interpretation of comfort. For example, when I get my boat moving well in a fresh breeze and heeled I'm exhilarated but my spouse is not...each of us has our own "subjective" measure of comfort.

The COMFORT ratio tries to look at it in an "objective" way and similar designs will pool in the same area, others will fall outside. Again, it is a way to objectively view where a boat stands regarding other designs you may be considering. Younger sailors may not be turned off by a boat with lots of action while those more senior would prefer a more gentle ride. It all depends on one's view of what's comfortable and the ratio just helps to define those.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:25   #39

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibetitsthisway View Post
And by the way... If the captain makes the boat... Why Are you All having Airbags in your car?
In the car, my airbags protect me from the idiot that's about to run into me at speed. On the boat I have a liferaft for the same thing. Either way I only travel with someone knowledgeable, capable, and careful at the wheel, and I wouldn't set out on a transcontinental journey in an old banger.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:36   #40

What i meant is That Airbags Are also there for the one moment you make a mistake at the wheel. For whatever reason.

And i want my boat to be able to take the beating If i make a mistake in a heavy Storm.

The numbers help to choose a boat which most likely will do That as i cannot test it beforehand.