Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2021, 10:44   #1

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'
Companionway door - Threat of rollover

From another thread that I didn't want to hijack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Large ships now use life boats that meet this standard, but they are engine powered, not sailing. They launch off the stern in what must rival any water park ride.

Don't forget the Doubloon, which in 1963 off Charleston, SC, did two complete rolls:

https://vault.si.com/vault/1964/06/0...and-over-again
I've read several stories about boats surviving rollovers. One question I have wanted to ask is the state of the companionway door. Is there a best practice recommendation, do you will keep the companionway door in place during rough seas? If so, is there any rules of thumb?

Maybe a stupid question ( the answer seems obvious to me) but I would like some clarification. I've read plenty of rules of thumb about reefing and being tied to the boat, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone address the companionway door state as a safety measure.

Thanks,

Sean
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 10:49   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Companionway door - Threat of rollover

In rough conditions, the companionway should be closed and latched so the drop boards can't fall out. It should be possible to open the latch from both the cockpit and the cabin sides.
Old 18-10-2021, 18:11   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

World Sailing has regulations for the companionway hatchboards on racing sailboats:https://www.sailing.org/tools/docume...1December2020-[26824].pdf. Section 3.08 deals with hatches and companionways. It does not like getting copied/pasted:
Hatch covers forward of the maximum beam station shall not open toward the interior of the boat, except hatches in the side of a coachroof or ports having an area of less than 0.071 m2 (110 in2)
A hatch, including a hatch over a locker shall be:
permanently attached and capable of being firmly shut immediately and remaining firmly shut in a 180° capsize
above the water when the boat is heeled 90°
A boat may have a maximum of two hatches on each side of centerline that do not conform to the requirement in b), provided that the opening of each is less than 0.0712 m (110 in2)
Hatches not conforming with 3.08.1 and 3.08.2 shall be clearly labelled and used in accordance with the following instruction “NOT TO BE OPENED AT SEA”
Companionway hatches:
fitted with a strong securing arrangement which shall be operable from the exterior and interior even when the boat is inverted
blocking devices:
capable of being retained in position with the hatch open or shut
secured to the boat (e.g. by lanyard) for the duration of the race
permit exit in the event of inversion
if a monohull with Open Cockpit(s):
a companionway sill that does not extend below the local sheerline; or
a companionway in full compliance with ISO 11812 category A
if a monohull with Contained Cockpit(s) where the companionway extends below the local sheerline, panels capable of blocking the companionway up to the level of the local sheerline whilst giving access to the interior.
if a multihull with a companionway hatch extending below the local sheerline either:
have a minimum sill height of 300 mm (12”) and be capable of being blocked off up to the level of the local sheerline whilst giving access to the interior with the blocking device(s) in place; or
be in compliance with ISO 11812 to design category A
be in compliance with ISO 11812 to design category B
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 18:28   #4

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

reading an article about preventing water intrusion on critical sea conditions it was made clear I needed to close ALL possible points of water entry, beginning from the bow, seal the anchor line/chain pipe for boarding seas, also close tight all dorados with plugs while removing the dorado pipes.
Moving to the cockpit fasten all cockpit lockers/lazarets lids to avoid them opening on a roll-over, on the hatch, I have the traditional three teak boards,I installed stainless positive latches on each board to insure again they do not fall out and float away.
When sailing on rough conditions leave the 2 lower boards in and climb over in and out to the cockpit, only latched the third board and secure the sliding hatch on one occasion while heave to.
I think have secure most potential areas.
My usual disclaimer, for information on what works for me only, not interested on debate or arguing the point.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 10:17   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

If you're going to button up, hatch boards for a companionway not doors.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 11:04   #6

Boat: Alerion Express 28

FYI, years ago a Catalina 30 broached off the Golden Gate and water flooded the cabin through the large companion way. Sorry to say, the fleet now holds an annual Kurt Zane Memorial Regatta funded by his family. Your question is very relevant.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 11:24   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by disputin View Post
From another thread that I didn't want to hijack.

I've read several stories about boats surviving rollovers. One question I have wanted to ask is the state of the companionway door. Is there a best practice recommendation, do you will keep the companionway door in place during rough seas? If so, is there any rules of thumb?

Maybe a stupid question ( the answer seems obvious to me) but I would like some clarification. I've read plenty of rules of thumb about reefing and being tied to the boat, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone address the companionway door state as a safety measure.

Thanks,

Sean
For me, when the waves started breaking into the boat and I was having to hold on to a winch so as not to get pushed overboard, I knew it was time to put the hatch boards in. (that was my rule of thumb)

But since my autopilot wouldn't steer the boat (to much sail up with only one set of reef points) and if I didn't steer it would try and turn into the waves and would probably have rolled, so I did it all while steering (with the tiller)

First though I grabbed my tether and harness, a bottle of water, some Dramamine, and the hatch boards which were also below and put two in immediately....

Not rocket science; you'll know when to say when, but maybe I'll put then in a little sooner next time which is why the experience was a good one.

And maybe sooner still if far offshore
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 05:11   #8

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Hatch board in, hatch closed in any conditions that are risky. I do not lock the hatch, just hopes it stays in place.

Never been rolled, hope will never happen.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 09:40   #9

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Sean, take a look at the monohull safety checklist for the newport to bermuda race (attached), page 2 (2.1.1 on) that speaks to companionways, hatches, also any hole in the boat that might allow water in when the boat is rolled over. So dont forget to seal off dorades too...thnks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2020-NBRSR-monohulls-chklst-vrsn-HI LITED.pdf (1.16 MB, 120 views)
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 10:05   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodsail View Post
Sean, take a look at the monohull safety checklist for the newport to bermuda race (attached), page 2 (2.1.1 on) that speaks to companionways, hatches, also any hole in the boat that might allow water in when the boat is rolled over. So dont forget to seal off dorades too...thnks
TY, a good read.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 12:57   #11

Boat: Shannon 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Hatch board in, hatch closed in any conditions that are risky. I do not lock the hatch, just hopes it stays in place.

Never been rolled, hope will never happen.
How does your hatch lock? I've found a way to secure mine without locking it, without just "hoping" it will stay in place.

My hatch has a hasp that goes over a metal tongue, that's where the lock goes. Instead of a lock, I put a tight fitting piece of line, 4 inches long with a knot in the end. It's thick and cannot fall out by itself. You can pull it out and immediately open the hatch, or leave it in, sure that the hatch won't just slide open.
ArmySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 14:04   #12

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Anchor chain porthole going into the chain locker if so installed.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 14:17   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
I never been rolled, hope will never happen.
I hope so too. When I bought our boat I found a magazine article on board written by Practical Boat Owner (UK) 10 years after the Fastnet disaster. John the previous owner had gone through the list and acted on nearly every single item on the check list. We still have the brass bolt to lock the companion way boards in place. There is another bolt on the chart table lid.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 05:01   #14

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I hope so too. When I bought our boat I found a magazine article on board written by Practical Boat Owner (UK) 10 years after the Fastnet disaster. John the previous owner had gone through the list and acted on nearly every single item on the check list. We still have the brass bolt to lock the companion way boards in place. There is another bolt on the chart table lid.

Pete
Will you upload a photo or explain how this brass bolt is employed?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 10:12   #15

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySailor View Post
How does your hatch lock? I've found a way to secure mine without locking it, without just "hoping" it will stay in place.

My hatch has a hasp that goes over a metal tongue, that's where the lock goes. Instead of a lock, I put a tight fitting piece of line, 4 inches long with a knot in the end. It's thick and cannot fall out by itself. You can pull it out and immediately open the hatch, or leave it in, sure that the hatch won't just slide open.
The companionway hatchboards on my boat are two polycarbonate panels fitted in a track made of some type of hard plastic. The lower is fixed in place with a barrel bolt from the panel into the track, operable from the outside. The upper is not bolted but is held in place when the hatch above is pulled closed. We usually usually sail with the lower fixed in place. That gives maybe a foot and a half of height above the cockpit sole against boarding seas. However, it alone would not stop flooding below with a rollover or a serious boaching. Neither have lanyards. I’d have to redesign or modify the companionway area to keep the upper secure and on a lanyard when out of its closed position. If it had to be put in the track, I could attach a lanyard then. The boards would not stop water ingress altogether with the boat inverted, i.e., not fully watertight.

Does anybody carry spare hatchboards?
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
companionway