Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 17:39   #796
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
re: Cruise Ship Costa Concordia - MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
I have read several accounts that Schettino has been repeatedly reporting the broken black box for weeks now...
While it is fun to nitpick all the details, the official inquest is a foregone conclusion that will not need the VDR to confirm.

There is enough eyewitness corrobaration on the Bridge and around this cowboy captain to fry his ass a dozen times over.

The really sad part is that his failed performance on almost every professional level, is an insult to those dedicated Masters, who view their passengers as more than just “deluxe cargo”.

The good part is that changes will become... "Trust but Verify".... which is a different mindset to treating physicians and ship masters as god-like professionals.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 18:25   #797

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post
It is curious that the problem was so quickly identified, did it happen before? Did it happen during the final voyage? I often attribute surges in that situation to Radio Interference. There are many reports that would suggest that essential services were subjected to a power failure, (captain inability to provide a position, a late mayday, no AIS transmission). You would have thought that these services would have been provided with an Uninterruptible Power Supply and if so why did this UPS fail in an emergency? Is it because the ship was kept in a state of disrepair or that the ship electronics where subjected to HIRF?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 18:29   #798

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
with due respect for Captain Bosia,it's not clear that Schettino ever surrendered the command of the ship and that Bosia was giving orders anywhere except on the boatdeck,getting passengers and crews organized for evacuation-albeit,before the official abandon ship was given.I surmise he was doing this while Schettino was still in the wheelhouse doing whatever he did do to get the ship beached.It sounds like when "safely" aground,Schettino then came down and also began to assist passengers as the ship now quickly heeled more and more and he slipped into a boat (with the 2nd mate?)...eyewitness reports seem to agree with this.The ship heeled very fast once beached.
None of the eye-witness reports I've read appear to have had any situational awareness...ie a crunch and then a whole hour of maneuvering on a slowly sinking ship.One of the mates reportedly says the ship was upright for the first 20 minutes or more,so all this crunch and dishes coming off the tables(and people falling out of their beds) sounds like the ship beaching and not the initial impact grazing the reef.I wonder if the passengers even noticed this first thump.Schettino obviously didn't take it too seriously.He only phoned up the company and told them to book some repairs.
I have not seen any quotes that Bosia ever stated that he had assumed command. The quotes that i saw were the papers which said that he was part of "the crew munity" some thing that i suspect he would feel uncomfortable with. Any association with a munity is some thing that most professional captains would wish to avoid. The stigma or self questioning is some thing that would haunt most, i know that it did in my father case. What i would love to know is if there was any direct contact between Captain Bosia and Costa during these events. Regardless of the above the presence of Captain Bosia and the probability that some of the crew had sail with him at some point could only have been a benefit to the passengers of crew.
Old 24-01-2012, 18:54   #799

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Looks like some scammers in Hungary got nabbed trying to claim on a "missing person"

Costa Concordia disaster: Trio of Hungarian fraudsters 'tried to fake death of woman' | Mail Online
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 22:10   #800

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
...it's not clear that Schettino ever surrendered the command of the ship and that Bosia was giving orders anywhere except on the boatdeck...I surmise he was doing this while Schettino was still in the wheelhouse doing whatever he did do to get the ship beached.
Your surmising is at odds with the recollection of the Third Officer, who was on the bridge during the drama and in her statement says (in effect) that: The captain of the Costa Concordia was distracted by guests on the bridge before impact...and then played no role in guiding the holed cruise ship into shallow water, instead panicking and going to his cabin.

More:
Costa Concordia captain 'distracted by guests on bridge' | World news | guardian.co.uk
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 22:31   #801

Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl

Alas, I'd hoped this dude didn't really screw up as bad as he seems to have. I really did.
Old 24-01-2012, 22:52   #802

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
The good part is that changes will become... "Trust but Verify".... which is a different mindset to treating physicians and ship masters as god-like professionals.
Yeah, I was thinking that the bridge should be more like a navy command with two people having to agree on each action before it is taken.
ChannelIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 23:06   #803

Boat: Open 8 Sofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelIslander View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that the bridge should be more like a navy command with two people having to agree on each action before it is taken.
You mean like:

"Should we take a short cut?"
"Yeah, why not."

"Ooops, what should we do about that hole?"
"Damned if I know."
"Me neither."
Old 24-01-2012, 23:18   #804

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Don't start using the navy as a role model--they have had their share of debacles.

One true story was in the final days of WWII, on a destroyer in the Pacific. My friend was the XO, and he tells of the day the the captain decided to have depth charge practice. The boat is going dead slow ahead while the deck crew readies the depth charges.

The captain tells the OD to ask the depth charge crew to 'let us know when they are ready". The OD gives this message to the talker, and it goes out over the loudspeaker system-- 'let us know when you're ready'. A few seconds later, the depth charge rolls over the side.

The captain orders 'all ahead flank', but the depth charge goes off practically under the stern. A hasty inspection shows the only damage was to a thru-hull, which was valved off.

The deck officer heard 'let it go when you're ready'.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 23:45   #805

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Somewhere over in another thread about cruise ships someone mentioned a friend who was a career captain on these behemoths who said the ONLY problem with the job was the cargo couldn't be loaded thru hoses....

That pretty much cracked me up ; -)
God, Sarah, how can you be so insensitive??

Now where is that ROTFLMAO smiley when you really need it?
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 00:02   #806

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

This close?
Looks to me like cruise ships revel in doing fly-bys.

It took me ages to read this thread, so interesting. Call me a wimp if you like, but I've always steered away from cruises in top-heavy liners captained by skippers who have to be showmen as well as navigators.

For me it appears that the captain was negligent, notwithstanding any instructions from above it's his sole responsibility to ensure the safety of his passengers and crew. Further, he's changed his story so many times that nothing he says can be believed.

For me I'd keelhaul the grass coaming %$#@^#$...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17865077162854891035.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	36426  
Old 25-01-2012, 00:32   #807

Quote:
you mean like marriage, have to think about that
Old 25-01-2012, 00:39   #808

Boat: SAGA 27 AK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelIslander

Which navy is this? I thought there was only one captain on a naval ship, and that he can only be relieved of command if he is judged "unable to command". I was never in the navy though.
Old 25-01-2012, 04:51   #809
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
God, Sarah, how can you be so insensitive??

Now where is that ROTFLMAO smiley when you really need it?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 06:58   #810

Costa Concordia 5 hours ago by Timsen

Salvage work interrupted by bad weather
Due to inclement weather conditions the search for the missing persons on board the "Costa Concordia" as well as the preparations for the oil recovery by Smit Salvage had to be interrupted in the evening of Jan 24. As soon as weather permitted, the work was to be resumed. A meeting was to be held in the midday hours of Jan 25 regarding this issue.

From VesselTrakker.com
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cruise, cruise ship