Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 06:02   #901

Boat: Gib sea 43
re: Cruise Ship Costa Concordia - MERGED THREADS

he was probably out doing some young girl!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:44   #902
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

the plot thickens

Moldovan dancer 'in love with Italy shipwreck captain' - Yahoo!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:31   #903

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG

I had raised the fact that Costa was already involved in earlier accidents of serious level. The fact that the company is not willing to admit their "laissez-faire" attitude is common practice in the Latin countries.
BBC is a bit late establishing this fact.
With all due respect the Italian government is withholding the inquiry I think you are missing the point. The companies flag country is Italy but it is I believe an Anglo-American owned company. Come on guys come clean!
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:42   #904

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Costa Cruises is a subsidiary of Carnival Corp., if I recall correctly, along with several other cruise lines. Costa is responsible for the operation of its own Costa fleet.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:47   #905

Boat: 33ft sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBrookster View Post
With all due respect the Italian government is withholding the inquiry I think you are missing the point. The companies flag country is Italy but it is I believe an Anglo-American owned company. Come on guys come clean!
If you would like to contest the facts that Costa has not had earlier serious issues, please be my guest.
In which case am I missing the point?
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:45   #906

Or Meredith Kirscher!
John Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 13:45   #907

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
I had raised the fact that Costa was already involved in earlier accidents of serious level. The fact that the company is not willing to admit their "laissez-faire" attitude is common practice in the Latin countries.
BBC is a bit late establishing this fact.
The bold face information below was also included in the recent BBC story about the Costa Europa incident which occurred in 2010, and it raises questions about the oversight (or lack of it) that may also apply to the Costa Concordia . . . .
The BBC contacted the Italian Maritime Register who said the investigation report into the Costa Europa incident "is strictly confidential, and at the moment is in the hands of the vessel's owner and the flag state authority".
Costa Cruises told the BBC that that it carried out an internal investigation and produced a detailed report, which it shared with the flag state authorities - in this case, the Italian coastguard in Genoa.

Costa Cruises says that as the report is an internal company document it has no intention of disclosing it.

I expected that the cruise industry would have oversight that would require fatal accident investigation reports to be available to the public via news sources. The airline industry certainly has such oversight.

St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 13:58   #908
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It's up to Italy's equivalent of the Coast Guard to release their report to the public after it is completed. It's probably not even close to being completed. Thorough investigations like this take months.

Without meaning to sound rude, confidential internal investigations conducted by and paid for by that company are nobody's business.

There is no cruise industry authority with the ability to summons such a report. There are government agencies like the FAA and USCG with legal authority in this county and many other legal authorities in various countries but that is different.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 14:22   #909

In Aircraft/Airline industry there are pretty good sources to learn what is playing in the background. In my younger years I was a manager on the airport of Schiphol and I never lost interest in flying/airplanes.

It is not much different with accidents that happened in our waters. Those reports are made public.
The Latin countries however, keep different agenda' s.
When BEA sniffed that too many well informed pilots were discussing plausible causes for the stall of the latest Air France Airbus which dived with all pax head on in the Atlantic, they did their utmost to get level with what was the cause.
A combination of a mechanical malfunction of the Pitot tubes in combo with a not sufficiently trained PF and an absent Captain caused the untimely death of so many. In Costa' s case we see a similar attitude towards corporal behaviour i.e. letting a clown manage a 4000 headed ship.

The course of the ship Concordia is a total non issue. The fact who allowed this kind of navigation is.
Technically, those ships of the Concordia design are on edge of what is manageable and what not. In open water any ship could be safe as long as it is seaworthy. That not all ships fill the book has been proofed by one of those Louis boats who had the windows smashed in by a more than moderate wave in a more than moderate gale. Costing immediate victims.
The various YT movies are giving more than valuable proof.
A very simple refusal of coverage by the underwriters may stop these mastodonts forever.
Old 02-02-2012, 14:26   #910

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG

If you would like to contest the facts that Costa has not had earlier serious issues, please be my guest.
In which case am I missing the point?
Just read St Elsewheres post after your last one and you will clearly see where you are missing the point. I'm not trying to dispute any facts but would like to see pressure put on the company to lodge and release details of previous incedents.
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 14:29   #911

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBrookster View Post
Just read St Elsewheres post after your last one and you will clearly see where you are missing the point. I'm not trying to dispute any facts but would like to see pressure put on the company to lodge and release details of previous incedents.
Google is your friend.
Old 02-02-2012, 15:03   #912

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It's up to Italy's equivalent of the Coast Guard to release their report to the public after it is completed. It's probably not even close to being completed. Thorough investigations like this take months.

Without meaning to sound rude, confidential internal investigations conducted by and paid for by that company are nobody's business.
David,

The subject of that post was the Costa Europa incident:
Three crew members were killed when the Costa Europa hit a quay in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, in February 2010.

The story said the Coast Guard was given a copy of the report, and apparently no independent report prepared by the Italian Coast Guard, or Egyptian authorities, hence the concern of no oversight. The open question is: Will there be public disclosure of findings in the Costa Concordia case? If not, IMO is rendered ineffective.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 22:37   #913

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Prosecutors are looking to put Schettino in the slammer for 2697 years!

2,697-year jail sentence sought for Concordia Captain Schettino
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 14:36   #914

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Prosecutors are looking to put Schettino in the slammer for 2697 years!

2,697-year jail sentence sought for Concordia Captain Schettino
He will be remembered in history for at least that long.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 15:24   #915

I gamble that it will at least take a full season to cut Costa C. in pieces and ship it away. Maybe even a year or so. It could be that they (Costa) will attempt to float her. But that is pure speculation, although I know that there are discussions going n in that direction.

About Schettino' s fatum - I learned one thing being in Latin countries - the soup won' t be eaten as hot as it is served.

Tags
ais, cruise, cruise ship