Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2012, 04:31   #946
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
re: Cruise Ship Costa Concordia - MERGED THREADS

Old 17-02-2012, 13:29   #947

The fuel removal has been going very well through this period of calm winds. Fifty per cent of it is gone now, and the balance is expected to be gone by the time salvage bids are due . . . .
Name: COSTA CONCORDIA Costa Concordia - Type of ship: Passenger ship - Callsign: IBHD - vesseltracker.com
IMO: 9320544
Time: 17-02-2012 20:51:45 UTC

NEWS:
Smit salvors have removed almost half of the fuel out of the tanks of the "Costa Concorida" by Feb 17. The diesel fuel was in four tanks in the foreship region. If the weather permits, removing the remainder could be completed within three weeks.

St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 13:53   #948
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
T

NEWS:
Smit salvors have removed almost half of the fuel out of the tanks of the "Costa Concorida" by Feb 17. The diesel fuel was in four tanks in the foreship region. If the weather permits, removing the remainder could be completed within three weeks.
Smit should just get the contract for the whole thing, it would gone in a week.

Dave
Old 18-02-2012, 19:56   #949

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
"Traces of cocaine have been found on a hair sample from the captain of the stricken Costa Concordia."

...the sunrise never arrives for this guy does it!?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-finding.html
Old 18-02-2012, 20:03   #950

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
"Traces of cocaine have been found on a hair sample from the captain of the stricken Costa Concordia."

Cocaine traces found in Captain Coward's hair: Survivors push for new drug tests after 'very strange' finding | Mail Online
CRUISE SHIP = Constant parties, it's probably conceivable that even the ship's Chaplain may get some coke on his clothing, this finding mean's zilch if not backed by evidence of the Captains involvement in usage or knowledge of usage aboard,
Old 18-02-2012, 20:08   #951

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us
CRUISE SHIP = Constant parties, it's probably conceivable that even the ship's Chaplain may get some coke on his clothing, this finding mean's zilch if not backed by evidence of the Captains involvement in usage or knowledge of usage aboard,
True! There's a statistical possibility of there being more coke on the decks and cabin walls, berths and heads than on the hands of a typical user.... this reminds me of the ol' urbanmyth of their being trace amounts of the stuff on every bill in circulation!
Old 18-02-2012, 20:34   #952

Boat: Lagoon 440

We just did East and West Caribbean cruise on Oasis, yes it is a sheep carrier to look at BUT was a fantastic cruise run by a great crew, our departure from Fort Lauderdale was to give us Nassua as first port of call however conditions arouind Bahamas were terrible.
Our Captain decided to go straight to St Thomas rather than put passengers through unnecessary discomfort resulting in Nassua being our last port of call.
GOOD SEAMANSHIP = GOOD DECISIONS + vice versa..

Coke? This is our society i guess....Sad as it is.
Old 19-02-2012, 21:04   #953

Boat: too many

Finally watched the Discovery Channel's "Cruise Ship Disaster - Inside the Concordia", I know its been run but I'm not following this as closely as some here. In fact, I was watching it in the background of being on the computer when I heard a voice from my past. Paul Leyda was one of my instructors at CMA and was interviewed 3 or 4 times for the show. I was over twice the age of my fellow midshipmen, and pretty much in the middle of the age range of the instructors. I think I was a couple years older then Leyda, and all I can say is we both plumped up and turned grey over the years.

Found this on Paul Leyda.

The ship in the background is the Golden Bear Training Ship. I sailed one semester on it, and my earlier year on the old Bear, a steam turbine ship.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 03:57   #954

I saw the Discovery special as well, they portray that the ship went back to shore solely by the wind sail area upon the superstructure, no mention of thrusters or the dropping of the anchor.

I wished they could have shown an animation of what it would have looked like when the engine room is suddenly opened up like a sardine can.

Overall I think it was a pretty good documentary though, and many people are waking up to just how bad things can go wrong very quickly on such a big ship. On some forums many posters are actually posting that they are retreating from booking a cruise. They don't trust the system anymore and I would take the same stance.

These cruise ships treat you like cattle, you are nothing but a product that is to be moved from point A to point B. People are realizing that in most major marine disasters it has a recurring theme that the passengers in most cases will have to fend for themselves.

I just don't get the whole cruise ship thing anyway, must be because of my steerage way salary I make I guess.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 05:32   #955

Now 67% of the fuel has been removed. Excellent progress is made with good weather. I hope it continues . . .

Name: COSTA CONCORDIA Costa Concordia - Type of ship: Passenger ship - Callsign: IBHD - vesseltracker.com
Time: 20-02-2012 08:56:41 UTC

NEWS:
By Feb 19 six of on the whole 15 bunker tanks were emptied, which meant 1518 m³ and was 67% of the whole bunker fuel on board. The remaining nine fuel tanks are situated between the aft and the midship section of the vessel, more tanks are in the engine room. Emptying these tanks is estimated to take about three more weeks.
Old 20-02-2012, 05:59   #956

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post

Cocaine traces found in Captain Coward's hair: Survivors push for new drug tests after 'very strange' finding | Mail Online
Probably brushed his hair with a George Washington.
Old 20-02-2012, 06:10   #957

This current picture of the site from Giglio News shows Smit's barge has left Concordia. The wind is predicted to pick up a bit.

Here is the continuously updated picture: http://www.giglionews.com/isoladelgiglio.jpg
Old 21-02-2012, 07:02   #958

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Found this today. Supposed to be the account from the bridge as it happened. English subtitles.
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 09:41   #959

Fuel removal curtailed by wind, recovery effort for the 15 missing persons to resume with more divers . . . . .
Time: 21-02-2012 16:56:41 UTC

NEWS:
The recovery of fuel on board the "Costa Concordia" had to be suspended again due to bad weather on Feb 20. The authorities have registered a more significant movement of the ship than in the past: the bow has increased to move from 3-3.5 mm per hour to a total of 2 cm in five hours. Before, the Fire Department has started to install platforms for taking up search operations for the 15 missing persons again, focusing particularly on Deck 4. In the coming days, the platforms will be completed. An additional group of divers of the European Civil Protection has been called from Sweden, France, Switzerland and Germany to join the Italian forces. A second group will arrive on Feb 22.
Old 21-02-2012, 18:46   #960

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarner View Post

Found this today. Supposed to be the account from the bridge as it happened. English subtitles.

Thanks great post. Informative video!

John & Carol
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cruise, cruise ship