Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2012, 18:37   #286
cruiser

Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
You're right. It won't make the world a worse place, but I suspect he has a lot of stuff on that big boat. I hope he can find a path to using your help.
How big is your back yard?
Old 26-07-2012, 18:37   #287

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
Its similar to a form of psychosis, they become so associated with their pain or trouble, it all but consumes them,,finally it becomes part of a survival mechanism when dealing with others.
A form of self destruction if you will, the person will usually adopt a very severe "Us and Them" doctrine whereby those who can should give, and those who cant should take.
Very Unhealthy mindset but we have millions of people now living on the fringes of society who get stuck into this way of life.
As my late sister said before she passed away in response to me trying to help her with her issues..."This is my Nervous Breakdown and you have no right to interfere!". And so I didn't. And so she embraced her Breakdown...even to the grave.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 26-07-2012, 18:55   #288

Boat: Marshall 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Any other response can only be construed as pseudo-sincerity and pretentiousness on your part. Perhaps the first stanza of W.B. Yeats poem "The Second Coming" says it best:
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
I have no opinion on this thread, but I thought it was kinda funny to quote a stanza of Yeats right after saying the other guy is acting pretentious.

Don't get me wrong. It's good to be erudite. I just thought the juxtaposition was humorous.
Old 26-07-2012, 19:02   #289

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Very creative and cute to boot. It brought a smile to my face. Thanks
You're welcome now i think i'll go study proper anchoring
Old 26-07-2012, 19:08   #290

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Blessed are the poor, for they shall inherit the earth.
Better to be poor than a fat man in the eye of the needle.
As these words were spoken I swear I hear the old man laughing.
What good is a used up world and how could it be worth having?
All this time the river flowed endlessly like a silent tear.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Old 26-07-2012, 19:14   #291

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I am thinking of taking a drive up the gulf coast from Naples to the beached boat on Monday to see for myself, what, if anything, can be done and possibly give a hand getting stuff off the boat, if Jay is willing to listen to reason. If any of you that live between Naples and Gulfport care to put thier money where there typing fingers are,(NO MONEY NEEDED) I am happy to have you along. Just let me know. Of coarse, if it appears that this is a waste of time, by others on the scene, I will not waste my time.
Old 26-07-2012, 19:14   #292
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
How big is your back yard?

http://www.waterproofcharts.com/imag.../22_side_b.jpg

Old 26-07-2012, 19:17   #293
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I am thinking of taking a drive up the gulf coast from Naples to the beached boat on Monday to see for myself, what, if anything, can be done and possibly give a hand getting stuff off the boat, if Jay is willing to listen to reason. If any of you that live between Naples and Gulfport care to put thier money where there typing fingers are,(NO MONEY NEEDED) I am happy to have you along. Just let me know. Of coarse, if it appears that this is a waste of time, by others on the scene, I will not waste my time.

I will likely be in Miami again but I wish you all luck.
Old 26-07-2012, 19:21   #294
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I see.

There's a junked-up sailboat stuck in your yard. Go clean it up will ya - so your neighbors don't have to step in.
Old 26-07-2012, 19:22   #295

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
Knot, SV, I've seen that behavior in a few people over the years. even my sister. I don't know if there is a clinical name is for it.

Don't they call that being an @@s?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 26-07-2012, 19:22   #296
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I see.

There's a junked-up sailboat stuck in your yard. Go clean it up will ya.
Ya know, I think I could use Knothead's and Rocketman's help with that ...
Old 26-07-2012, 21:29   #297

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

One of the really cool things about this thread is that it illuminates the gulf between folks like Jay and sailors. Generally speaking, ( I'm sure there are quite a few exceptions given the number of you-tube launch ramp videos I've seen ) sailors are an above average group. Sailors have to anticipate the unexpected, have to learn about radio operation, sail handling, weather and hundreds of other things besides. The desire to learn and the drive to expand their awareness set them above many other hobbies and activities. If they do not have this element in their persona, they will not be sailors long. Proactive folks with an inner drive to excel can always be confounded by those who do not share these traits. Stuckness is a common term for those who freeze up when confronted with a crisis. Their experience has taught them that they cannot triumph in a crisis and their best bet is to hunker down and wait for it to blow over, then regroup. They have an " I can't " mindset at the beginning. The Knot-man encountered resentment, confusion, and finally resignation. I am no expert, nor am I qualified as an analyst, but I can imagine the transaction between Knothead and Capt'n Jay. Knothead is clearly a man who takes action and has initiative. He will walk into a scene, define what needs to be done, control the environment, and use his skill set to bring the resolution he desires. These are effective traits of parenting. "You'll do such and such, and you will do it now". Clearly Capt'n Jay moved emotionally into the rebellious child role, quickly saw that he was still being pressured, so he moved to the confused defensive posture, which controlled the situation and forced Knothead to define his terms and expectations clearly, then lost the initiative and retreated to the complementary role of " Compliant Child ". Very typical child reaction to demands. Now we will see if Jay becomes overwhelmed by the task of cleaning out his boat and stays in the bar bemoaning his cruel fate, talks others into cleaning out his boat for him, or tries to do it himself. The curious thing that has been mentioned is the presence of other people on the boat, besides Jay. Perhaps folks from the bar ? How do they fit in, I wonder. Never the less, we will all know quite a bit about who this Captain Jay really is, by tomorrow night. We will know if it is worth the effort to float this man's boat. Hanging in the bar is not a good first step.
Old 27-07-2012, 03:27   #298

Boat: Tartan 40
Sure sounds like the amount of time we've all spent reading and writing on this thread is probably orders of magnitude greater than the time Capn Jay has spent trying to get refloated....
Old 27-07-2012, 03:53   #299

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandAnitas34
Hanging in the bar is not a good first step.
They must have nickel beers if he can drink there with only $1.25 to his name :-) maybe we need to check the bar out!!!
Old 27-07-2012, 06:41   #300
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Sure sounds like the amount of time we've all spent reading and writing on this thread is probably orders of magnitude greater than the time Capn Jay has spent trying to get refloated....
\

I think he's completely overwhelmed, and I suspect that he's a hoarder, which will really impact every facet of his life negatively. It's a serious psychological problem.

The one trait I have seen among sailors -- those who actually sail as opposed to the handful of people like Cap'n Jay who use their boat only as a home -- is that they're problem solvers.

That said, I think just about all the views we've seen here have some merit. This just isn't a black and white negative. The downside of leaving him where he is is obvious -- someone's home will be methodically and deliberately destroyed. But if it's refloated, Mother Nature may well do it either in the next storm or when his anchor tackle next fails, which it will if not cared for and maintained. Then it may be his home plus others', or even things secured to the land (two piers in the immediate area even if the water isn't hard enough to take him into the trees or buildings on the beach, or even beyond.)

I don't think his problems are so simple that if people help him he'll see the error of his ways and just fix himself by himself. Hopefully friends -- and he appears to have some -- will be willing to dive the very shallow waters there and check on the status of his anchorage from time to time -- the chain as well as the rode can fail, as I'm sure just about everyone here knows.
Closed Thread

Tags
yacht