Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2012, 20:31   #361
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand

Nicely done, smack.

Speaking of food and drink--even as a card-carrying cynic I have been repeatedly impressed over the years with corporate giving. Ask a supermarket manager "We're having a volunteer event and expecting 100 people, could we get any accomodation on some bottled water or drinks or food to hand out?" and typically they'll send enough for twice as many people, with way more than you delicately asked for.

The magic word: accomodation. You don't ask for a donation or a discount, you leave that open to them, which leaves you both open to all options. And they almost always come back with a generous donation.

All sorts of companies are looking for good PR, they know they'll get way more than their money back when they do this.

Heck, I'll bet you could get a local Hooters to send down buckets of wings and a cheerleading squad. And THAT in turn would guarantee you a spot on the evening news. :-)
Old 27-07-2012, 20:50   #362
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Nicely done, smack.

Speaking of food and drink--even as a card-carrying cynic I have been repeatedly impressed over the years with corporate giving. Ask a supermarket manager "We're having a volunteer event and expecting 100 people, could we get any accomodation on some bottled water or drinks or food to hand out?" and typically they'll send enough for twice as many people, with way more than you delicately asked for.

The magic word: accomodation. You don't ask for a donation or a discount, you leave that open to them, which leaves you both open to all options. And they almost always come back with a generous donation.

All sorts of companies are looking for good PR, they know they'll get way more than their money back when they do this.

Heck, I'll bet you could get a local Hooters to send down buckets of wings and a cheerleading squad. And THAT in turn would guarantee you a spot on the evening news. :-)

I'll tell you a specific place that might step up -- O'Maddy's. They might surprise you. They know that a lot of mariners in the area go there very often.

They can also see the trapped boat from their front porch seating area.
Old 28-07-2012, 03:21   #363
Armchair Bucketeer

I am pretty sure Steve (Knothead) is going down a similar route already, but below is an idea posted on the FB Page:-

OK, I'm thousands of miles away, but do you know how people are rescued from sinking sands in the UK? A probe on a hose pipe is pushed into the sand & water pumped into it to liquify it so they can be pulled out. Vibrators for settling conc...rete may also help.

I have tried digging out moorings in wet sand & it is almost impossible, the hole doesn't get deeper, it just gets wider. I think getting her to lie on her side is the only way you will be able to drag her into deeper water without big tides to help you.

Appreciate that the ideas are the easy part - I have seen the Pitch in and help thread - translating into action, is the tricky bit (without growing another 12 arms and having 48 hours in a day!)....will mull over what I can do to help (without my boots on the ground ).
Old 28-07-2012, 07:18   #364

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Good Grief!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 28-07-2012, 07:34   #365
cruiser

im not steve or the op, bu tthis discussion is not needed anymore... it has served it's purpose and a new discussion is now in progress..

can this discussion be closed and or automatically forwarded to the new one???

thanks
Old 28-07-2012, 07:45   #366

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Good Grief!
DITTO THAT...
Old 28-07-2012, 07:50   #367
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
DITTO THAT...

Is that in response to Chartplotter's post? He summarized the situation quite accurately. I'm not opposing attempts to help. People should do what they think is right for them. What's right for person A won't be right for person B.

But Chartplotter has the situation accurately summarized. Floating this guy's boat is the start, not the end, of what he needs. If he doesn't become a more responsible live-aboard, more bad things are going to happen to him, his boat, and possibly other structures and boats.

Mother Nature did not cause this accident. Winds in this area were steady at 25 mph with gusts *rarely* above 35 mph. Anyone anchored out off the shore of Florida has to be prepared for such relatively mild weather or they simply have no business being out there.

By saying that I'm actually calling out a good friend of mine as well as Cap'n Jay. His is not the only boat that went aground but did not have to.
Old 28-07-2012, 08:10   #368

This is the guy's 8th boat, right? All previous ones were handed to him or he bought as hulks barely able to get out of their own way.

I really think it's awesome you guys are doing what you are to help, and if I was in the area I'd certainly lend some horsepower and a line or maybe toss on my diver gear with a shovel.

But you know this boat, soon, will end up like the previous 7 no matter what you do? You're caring more about his boat than he is. It's not like he's going to see the error of his ways and get good ground tackle and stay up on his brightwork. He'll buy booze, treat the boat like flop house #8, and eventually (soon) it will end up scuttled or chainsawed.

Before you put people's safety in jeopardy, even voluntarily, it's worth looking at it from a few different angles. Either way, it's great to see people doing more than bitching on the Internet (like me).
Old 28-07-2012, 08:15   #369

Boat: Nor Sea 27'

I don't have time to continue to monitor this thread as well as the other ones so this will be my last post here.

I have already stated my intentions and thoughts about Jay's boating future. I don't know what will happen. I can only hope that you're assessment of the situation turns out to be wrong and that a more positive outcome results.

Steve
Old 28-07-2012, 08:43   #370

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Rebel Heart, you are correct on all counts, right now we are trying to help the city as much as we are Capt'n Jay. The boat really is insignificant. Capt'n Jay may be insignificant. I think most of us feel that getting to boat free is the right thing to do for mulipule reasons, after that we all need to develop a plan to prevent this from happening again to at least Capt'n Jay. I think a morring should be placed and monitored every 6mo or so to insure that at least this boat will not end up on the beach again. Do I think Capt'n Jay will have a come to Jesus party? I doubt it.
Old 28-07-2012, 08:57   #371

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

As the OP, I am pleased and grateful at the local response. I won't be in the Tampa Bay area until a week after the scheduled removal attempt, or I would be part of the effort.

Specifically, a hats off thanks to Steve (knothead) for taking the bull by the horns and spearheading the effort. I hope that there is a good turnout, and media coverage.
Old 28-07-2012, 10:12   #372

THis boat might not be worth enough to save, but it raises the question of what if this was a nice $150,000 boat what would happen? What if the owners didn't have the $25,000 or whatever for a floating crane? Would they put a lien on the boat? Would the owners have to take a loan out at a bank with the boat as collateral?
Old 28-07-2012, 11:27   #373

SunDevil, chances are a person with a high dollar boat would not be in this situation, without meens to take care of it on there own. They would probably have aproprate ground tackle, they would more than likely have insurance, they would have an engine that operates, ect, ect. Most of the time people that value there boats take care of them.
Old 28-07-2012, 13:07   #374

EVERONE WHO WANTS TO VOLUNTEER ON WENDSDAY PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!

I have been asked by Knothead to find out who is willing to give some time and what resorces they have to bring to help out.

For example: If you are a person that just wants to come and help but do not have any equipment or boat or anything else, then email me with number of people who are comming.

For example: If you have an anchor, chain and rode you will be bringing, let me know that.

For example: If you have special skills that you feel may be helpful, let me know that. ie, Doctor, nurse, mechanical genious, boat floater, cook, all around nice guy, what ever, let me know that also.

Last, but most imortant email me at my personal email. I am trusting it not get abused. jjzidek@aol.com
Old 28-07-2012, 14:00   #375

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I think those that show up should have a T-shirt on with their screen name on the front and back.

And of course a CF something or other too!

I suggest sticking with screen names so as not to tax memory cells with new names to new faces. New faces with known names is enough as we are going to have to "brain storm" out there and we all know that even a minor storm can put some "aground".

Just sayin

And Rocketman, it is not readers here that will capture and abuse your email address but "bots" or other such web crawling thingys. Maybe a mod will let you modify it. Give the little warning triangle a tingle and see.

Tags
yacht