Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2022, 04:15   #1

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Deep anchoring

What are the requirements/differences for deep anchoring? i am looking at anchoring medium term a 37' trimaran in Mill Cove NS. Most people i read advocate a 45 lb new generation anchor and 1/4" chain for general anchoring purposes. How would this deep anchoring differ?

Green line is about 300'. An 80' schooner is moored or anchored near red circle. The docks have been permanently (?) removed and have been replaced by buoys marking the anchoring points for the dock.

All advice is welcome.

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 04:23   #2

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Deep anchoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
What are the requirements/differences for deep anchoring? i am looking at anchoring medium term a 37' trimaran in Mill Cove NS. Most people i read advocate a 45 lb new generation anchor and 1/4" chain for general anchoring purposes. How would this deep anchoring differ?

Green line is about 300'. An 80' schooner is moored or anchored near red circle. The docks have been permanently (?) removed and have been replaced by buoys marking the anchoring points for the dock.

All advice is welcome.

jon
Is your depth in feet or meters, either way I would not consider that deep.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 05:34   #3

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

How much chain do you have? 10 meters (33ft) isn't overly deep.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 05:46   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Doesn't seem all that deep. Main difference is the length of rode needed. You mention 1/4" chain, seems light for a 37' boat. Also remember that there are different grades of chain with very different working loads - G43 is much stronger than BBB or Proof chain. Very importantly is how much chain you will have.
Old 16-04-2022, 05:57   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Floating docks? They may be planning on putting them back in and are keeping the lines to the mooring blocks.

I have a quaint way if thinging about anchoring: the anchor hooks to the bottom, the chain hooks to the boat. You can calculate the stress on the chain/boat connection. It is far more difficult to calculate the anchor/bottom connection pull out point.

Moorings use a big, heavy block and rely upon mass and a very short scope. The bigger your anchor the less required scope to achieve Xkg pull out.

Frankly, and excepting a direct hit by a nasty storm (happened before) you are in a well protected anchorage, almost a pond in a lake, you should he fine with your set up as is.

I prefer a Mantus because 1: it is cheaper to by and cheaper to ship because it knocks down. 23 it uas by far the biggest roll bar and is then less susceptible to plugging.

Good luck.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 06:17   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Long term or overnight? Overnight, no worries.
  • What is the bottom type? That is the starting point for all anchoring.
  • Try to avoid steep slopes, which rules out a few areas.
  • Avoid the jetty opening and the area west of it. They put the jetty in for a reason. Note that the schooner is north of the opening.
  • You still need to avoid the dock because of the floats, just not the traffic.
This leaves a few areas northeast and northwest of the schooner. Assuming the depth is in meters, you are going to need to locate carefully, and in certain wind directions you won't have a lot of drag space (if the boat drags you could be on the jetty in a few minutes). I'd anchor northwest of the schooner in 6 meters; my rode will be shorter and if I drag it's more likely to be a soft grounding than rocks... but I don't know the shoreline.

This is fairly standard anchoring. Chain and a standard, conservative anchor will be fine (assuming a good bottom).
Old 16-04-2022, 10:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Is your depth in feet or meters, either way I would not consider that deep.
i don't know. It is a Navionics screenshot from when i got the free trial. Locals say that the anchorage is about 60' deep. If so it might be in fathoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Floating docks? They may be planning on putting them back in and are keeping the lines to the mooring blocks.
Rumor has it that the docks will never be put back in cuz the city of Halifax plans on using Mill Cove for the ferry terminal, altho that is still undecided, cuz, to me, there in not enuf parking nearby.

Quote:
Frankly, and excepting a direct hit by a nasty storm (happened before) you are in a well protected anchorage, you should he fine with your set up as is.
We took a look at this anchorage when the hurricane hit Halifax. It is WELL protected

Quote:
I prefer a Mantus because 1: it is cheaper to by and cheaper to ship because it knocks down.
So do i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Doesn't seem all that deep. Main difference is the length of rode needed.
The question in my mind is "Wud there be enuf swinging room"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
You mention 1/4" chain, seems light for a 37' boat.
Roy M on this forum, has an SR 40 and uses 1/4" HT chain, other trimaraners also use 1/4" in this size range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Long term or overnight? Overnight, no worries.
Long term. This is close to my house, and under utilized. In the winter relatively ice free cuz of the inflow of fresh water from Moirs Pond. Big boats are tied to the breakwater in the winter.

Quote:
What is the bottom type?
You still need to avoid the dock because of the floats, just not the traffic.
The floats are the soft rubber/plastic ones. Why shud i avoid hitting them as i swing?

No idea what the bottom is, but Moirs Pond drains into it so i assume mud? Note the M in the Southwest part of the anchorage.

Note the pipeline into the anchorage, in the winter there is NO ice near the pipeline.

Quote:
This leaves a few areas northeast and northwest of the schooner. Assuming the depth is in meters, you are going to need to locate carefully, and in certain wind directions you won't have a lot of drag space (if the boat drags you could be on the jetty in a few minutes). I'd anchor northwest of the schooner in 6 meters; my rode will be shorter and if I drag it's more likely to be a soft grounding than rocks... but I don't know the shoreline.
Like NO drag space, hence the question. Rocks all around and the jetty. No room for error.
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 16-04-2022, 10:47   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

It does look like a pretty short scope situation--less than 5:1, depending on tide. I would think about setting two anchors to limit swinging radius.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 12:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
It does look like a pretty short scope situation--less than 5:1, depending on tide. I would think about setting two anchors to limit swinging radius.
Spring tide about 6'
Old 16-04-2022, 18:03   #10

Let me ask something. Except for the word “fathom” sounding all nautically and whatnot, is there any real practice reason to ever use it as a unit of measure?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 18:56   #11

Boat: Trlåren 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
Let me ask something. Except for the word “fathom” sounding all nautically and whatnot, is there any real practice reason to ever use it as a unit of measure?
Yes. NOAA charts for the west coast USA show depth in fathoms.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 19:49   #12

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
i don't know. It is a Navionics screenshot from when i got the free trial. Locals say that the anchorage is about 60' deep. If so it might be in fathoms?
Maybe something has changed, but fathoms doesn't make sense to me.

There is a depth marked 9 sub 8.

Fathoms can be fathoms and feet or fathoms and fractions.

If the soundings are in fathoms then that depth is 9 fathoms and 8 feet, which is 10 fathoms and 2 feet. No chart I have seen has feet more the 5 as a sub to fathoms. Making you add a fathom and subtract 6 from the feet number doesn't make any sense.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 23:10   #13

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Maybe something has changed, but fathoms doesn't make sense to me.

There is a depth marked 9 sub 8.

Fathoms can be fathoms and feet or fathoms and fractions.

If the soundings are in fathoms then that depth is 9 fathoms and 8 feet, which is 10 fathoms and 2 feet. No chart I have seen has feet more the 5 as a sub to fathoms. Making you add a fathom and subtract 6 from the feet number doesn't make any sense.
That seems like a screenshot from Navionics Boating app. I just checked. You can choose to display depth in meters, feet or fathoms. All of them display in the same number format, i.e. big number with small decimal. So back to the OP’s post, it could easily be any one of the three.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87193AF9-0545-4F1A-BE37-3E02FE2AA27B.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	256090  
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 23:52   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
That seems like a screenshot from Navionics Boating app. I just checked. You can choose to display depth in meters, feet or fathoms. All of them display in the same number format, i.e. big number with small decimal. So back to the OP’s post, it could easily be any one of the three.
You're missing the point.

If the 9 sub 8, is 9 fathoms 8 feet, while the app is in fathoms mode, it could just as easily have a sounding 1 sub 48. 1 fathom 48 feet. Both are dumb.
Old 17-04-2022, 00:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
You're missing the point.

If the 9 sub 8, is 9 fathoms 8 feet, while the app is in fathoms mode, it could just as easily have a sounding 1 sub 48. 1 fathom 48 feet. Both are dumb.

Or are you saying that ENCs can display decimal fathoms? 9 sub 8 would be 9.8 fathoms. 0.8 x 6 = 4.8 feet, plus 54 gives 58.8 feet.

I could see programmers thinking this was a good idea.

Tags
anchor, anchoring