Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2020, 06:54   #46

Re: Did I act correctly in a gale?

One consideration, as referenced, is the is the condition of the fuel tank and filters. Relying solely on the engine during violent stirring of the fuel tanks can leave you powerless. A particular problem on a charter where one does not have knowledge of the fuel system's condition.
thlamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 07:01   #47

Boat: Beneteau 343

My approach in your situation would be to do what you did; keep sails down as long as engine on and pointed into wind approach offers plenty of sea room. I'd move genoa cars all the way forward and be ready to deploy a bit of headsail if needed. Ideally I'd have a deeply reefed main up to stabilize boat a bit and be ready to heave to if appropriate. If it is a FL afternoon thunderstorm (typically brief possibly intense in terms of wind gusts) I'd go with engine off, pointed into the wind approach assuming sea room, with no intention of heaving to.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 07:38   #48

Hi,

Without know all the details it is difficult to give definitive advice. Sounds as you did the right thing. Given enough sea room I would turn the stern into wind and run with the wind. This leave the option of trailing lines etc to slow the boat down. Heaving yo is always a good option. Both are comfortable for the crew and allow for a brew.
Yacht Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 07:44   #49

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

In my mind, if it's a short lived squall, head into it to reduce the time for it to pass. If that's too uncomfortable, that's when it's time to head downwind (and be a bit more comfortable, but stuck in the squall for longer).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 07:47   #50

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

I didn't read all the posts so excuse me if I am repeating.
First thing is situational awareness. None of the weather conditions approach with out notice. You can always see squalls coming. Once you establish which direction they are moving you can see whether you are nearer to one end or the other or dead center to its direction of travel. If at all possible steer a course crossing the nearer end allowing if possible for the movement of the storm. Running away at an angle to clear its path. Storm may be going slow or fast. You stand a good chance of getting around the severest part of the squall if not the whole thing. Done it many times.
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 07:53   #51

From Wikipedia - not always reliable but here there is footnoted documentation on some actions taken during offshore races by experienced sailors...

"Heaving to has been successfully used by a number of yachts to survive storm conditions (winds greater than Force 10, 48–55 knots, 89–102 km/h, 55–63 mph).[4] During the June 1994 Queen's Birthday Storm[13] all yachts that hove to successfully survived the storm.[14] This included Sabre, a 10.4 m (34 ft) steel cutter with two persons on board, which hove to in wind speeds averaging 80 knots for 6 hours with virtually no damage.[4][15]

During the ill-fated 1979 Fastnet race, of 300 yachts, 158 chose to adopt storm tactics; 86 'lay ahull', whereby the yacht adopts a 'beam on' attitude to the wind and waves; 46 ran before the wind under bare poles or trailing warps/sea anchors and 26 hove to. 100 yachts suffered knock downs, 77 rolled (that is turtled) at least once. Not one of the hove to yachts were capsized (knocked down or turtled) or suffered any serious damage.[16] The 'heave to' maneuver is described in the story of the first Golden Globe yacht race of 1968.[17]"

The footnotes are on the wiki site.
IceOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 08:42   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

the one time I was caught in a bad storm, I tried heaving to, but my boat didn't like it and neither did I, so I tried trailing long lines behind my boat...but it didn't do squat as far as slowing my speed...then I tied an anchor and some fenders to the end of the trailing line....didn't do much either......I finally bundled up my storm jib in a big bundle and attached this to the end of the line....phew....finally slowed the boat down to manageable speeds (was under bare poles at this time)....I had considered tying this "contraption" to the bow, but in the end, kept it on the stern affording me some steerage way....I would do the same again today....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 08:45   #53

thank all of you for good explanations. Having a new (old) sailboat in the Chesapeake Bay and being new at skipper position these are all good
mb
mbinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 08:54   #54

NEVER EVER DEPEND ON A MARINE DIESEL. Use it sure but on a Sailboat use your sails...appropriately of course. Then there is warping and the use of drogues and ground tackle if all else falls.
Ultimately you did the correct thing as you are the Master (chief safety officer) and are reviewing your decision with other Masters which proves you are a Master.
Cheers!
hottuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 09:37   #55
Marine Service Provider

One of the biggest mistakes that I've made in similar circumstances is not reducing sail soon enough, especially when short of capable crew who can work on deck in a hard blow. Don't wait until things are getting of control - it's not that hard to take a reef out if it proves to have been unnecessary.

Good luck
John Mardall
for
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 09:39   #56

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.j.levy View Post
Recently in the Tuscan archipelago I was caught by a sudden gale (gusting 45kn). It was a 46 foot chartered sailboat. I was on engine so turned the boat to the wind and reduced speed to displacement. Off course all of us had life jackets on and whilst it was building I secured everything.

Since this was my first time in such conditions, I would value any advice on whether this was the right course of action? Anything else I should have done?
Reviewing such situation is a very important practice to any of us. Looks like your actions were the correct. The other comments here are good too.

Depending on the sea level and the ability to furl out (under a very safe control!) a storm like jib (charter boats do not have a separate storm jib, nor it is practical dealing with it in a sudden gale), could provide a reasonable comfort and control. The common charter boat may not be handled well under engine only at such conditions. Even with my medium displacement cruiser, this would be my preferred practice.
Old 31-07-2020, 10:42   #57

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post

You can always see squalls coming.

No. Not always.

But the rest of what you said it is as you said it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 10:58   #58

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Usually, you have some indication of a storm or a squawl...

Noting:

Wind direction change, when bare boating study up on the marine weather for your cruising groud. . Listening to a radio might not be good , since the broadcast can be a a language that you do not speak. Otherwise, find a weather reporting station, or VHF, or computer, or whatever, and note down the forecast in you log . Be prepared.

Also: Cloud formations, types of clouds, dark, fast moving, low, thick, black is bad news.

We would originally be undersail, and at the first signs of a squall, tripple reef the main. you can also furl the roller snarler to a small, very small jib and run the sheet blocks forward or manage with the tripple reefed main and engine.

Jib down or rolled in tight. Probably wrap some sail ties around the totally rolled in jib sail, should the roller furling line come free, and out zips the jib. Then, if not prepared your problems can multiply at twice the speed of light.

Also, just in case the engine quits, I would have that tripple reefed main as a back up.
Helps for quick sailing and being under control .

A lee shore: Whole other major problem as you may not be able to claw yourself off. Other things to think about, and not put vessel in extremus.

When we have been visited by a rain squawl , no 45 kt winds, just lusty trades and warm weather, we would continue sailing and take a fresh water shower on deck.

We have encountered very strong winds on long passages, reefed the main, and brought the genoa down.

Also, to save hassels out at sea, when we get the weather report, prior to departing the dock, we tuck in the appropriate reef before leaving.

Plenty of other great ideas by other posters.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 11:10   #59

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
This is the absolutely key skill for this scenario.

It's important to recognize what kind of clouds go with squalls, and recognize the signs of an approaching squall. It's important to understand thermal effects on weather, and the preconditions for t-storms. A sailor just can't know too much about weather (and I don't claim to have great knowledge myself; it's one skill I continue working on).
Haha, yep. And the only way to get experience is... experience.

So, yes, you did the right thing. Next time, you might recognize it earlier because of the experience.
Flagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 12:42   #60

Boat: Dufour 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.j.levy View Post
Recently in the Tuscan archipelago I was caught by a sudden gale (gusting 45kn). It was a 46 foot chartered sailboat. I was on engine so turned the boat to the wind and reduced speed to displacement. Off course all of us had life jackets on and whilst it was building I secured everything.

Since this was my first time in such conditions, I would value any advice on whether this was the right course of action? Anything else I should have done?
Gales are not unusual in the Med. Only comment relates to the fact that wave period can be very short. Slamming upwind can be minimized by going off course. In essence, tacking, under power. Makes the effective period longer.
Bunnellr is offline   Reply With Quote