Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 10:30   #1

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Dinghy landings

From another post here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-120387-2.html #18, I see a real problem.

Seems a small boat and small waves can be a big problem.

What are the best practices when it is not paradise you are in?

I know looking from seaward it is really hard to judge what it looks like from the beach and I don't want to hurt my wife. If I did this I think it would all be over.........or is this just one more of the to-be-expected downsides of cruising?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:49   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Dinghy landings

I had a similar thing happen to me in front of a large hotel when dressed for a dinner. Very embarrasing as you might imagine. I misjudged the wave set and all three of us in a Sabot (8' hard) dinghy with a British Seagull engine went turtle. Not quite as dramatic as in this case. I learned a very valuable lesson about safety and wave sets. Don't get in a hurry!!

You can see in the photo that the wave came under the stern and picked up the boat. Had they been further back or further forward on the wave it would not have happened. Once it is shallow enough to get out then haul the boat onto the sand as quickly as possible so you don't get one of those under the stern.

Also learned that a British Seagull can be washed off, and started again once dunked while running.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:58   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dinghy landings

Have a decent dinghy anchor and drop it before you hit the 'wave zone'.. then feed your self back till you can step out.. or better still.. find a better beach.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 13:02   #4

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
From another post here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-120387-2.html #18, I see a real problem.

I know looking from seaward it is really hard to judge what it looks like from the beach and I don't want to hurt my wife. If I did this I think it would all be over.........or is this just one more of the to-be-expected downsides of cruising?
Surfs up dude.

Back in the day I spent way too much time surfing. Later I crewed on SORC boats and was frequently asked to take the helm in a following sea because I could keep the boats surfing longer than some other helmsmen who other wise were more capable than I was. I also kayak frequently and am often able to get there first because I take advantage of the waves.

There have been many threads at CF about learning to sail and how long it takes. While the basics can be learned quickly even at my advanced age I try and learn something every time I go out.

This includes getting a feel for how my dinky surf and being better able to judge which wave in a set I will choose to push my boat up on the beach.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 13:05   #5

Boat: 2002 Catana 471

You need to catch a wave and surf in. If you use the engine you have to unlock it in time so you don't damage the prop and if you use the oars you need to find the right speed by paddeling. Under engine you have to be careful that you don't turn sideways too. It takes some practice and maybe a few bath. Wanna try it by yourself first before you take someone.
Travelaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 16:00   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
or better still.. find a better beach.

Thank you, seemed pretty obvious to me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 16:12   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Thank you, seemed pretty obvious to me.
Yea, but I am pretty sure there will be enough times where there is only one beach at that one place where you need to go ashore.

I know.

wait it out and come back later.
Old 09-02-2014, 16:48   #8

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Hi all,

That picture reminds me of a trip a few years back to Santa Cruz Island, in California. I had just dropped my family off at the beach, and was going to take the dinghy back out. The surf looked pretty flat, so I started rowing straight out. Looking at the beach I noticed that all eyes were on me. Hummm, what are they looking at? I turned around to see a large wave just about to break on top of me! Somehow I managed not to flip, and got the motor running. I just squeaked over the next two big waves before getting clear.

Afterwards, I couldn't help but wonder why nobody called out a warning, not even my family? Pretty funny in retrospect, but a good lesson learned. Always keep looking out at the waves while coming in or out.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 13:25   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

Now I'm just guessing here but I would imagine there are lots of folks who have been caught unaware in the surf but just don't want to talk about it. It is a learning process and a good thing to watch others do. I thought I was ready that one time but I hadn't watched enough of the surf before attempting it. I wasn't ready and should have known better.
Old 10-02-2014, 15:06   #10
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelaxel View Post
You need to catch a wave and surf in. If you use the engine you have to unlock it in time so you don't damage the prop and if you use the oars you need to find the right speed by paddeling. Under engine you have to be careful that you don't turn sideways too. It takes some practice and maybe a few bath. Wanna try it by yourself first before you take someone.
I don't do it like this. First, you have to be committed to getting on the beach and everyone needs to be ready to bail off. I release the engine lock well before hand because all the lock does is keep the motor down in reverse. Then when a wave goes under me, I ride the back side in and on to shore. I'm powering it until the motor hits bottom, and usually not at idle. When the motor hits, I pull the emergency kill cord and pull the motor up and lock it quickly while everyone else is grabbing the boat and pulling forward. Surfing a wave just fills my boat up with water making it almost impossible to pull up on shore.

Getting out, well, someone is going to get wet. Most important is to get past the curl quickly. We will stand on both sides of the boat, on shore with the oars at the ready. If the nose is floating and not in the surf, I'll load a few people on to it, then the back two shove off while whoever is onboard starts paddling like crazy. I'll drop the motor quick, fire it up and go. Many times one person is still standing in the surf and has to swim out to the dingy.

We've never flipped but I've had enough swamping's due to the next wave coming from behind. Nearly every time its because someone's looking for their shoes instead of pulling the boat up the beach quickly.
Old 10-02-2014, 15:18   #11

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
SNIP

We've never flipped but I've had enough swamping's due to the next wave coming from behind. Nearly every time its because someone's looking for their shoes instead of pulling the boat up the beach quickly.
Most surfers know that waves come in sets. The height of the waves differ and the periods between waves differ and the periods between sets can also differ.

This is true both when you are in a big boat in the open ocean or a tender landing on a beach.

I surfed as a kid and later was a serious sailboarder and wind surfer. This experience made me acutely aware of how important it was to choose the right wave.

Not saying folks should ignore pulling the boat up and look for their shoes, just that it sounds like you do not pick your wave, rather you let the wave pick you.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:33   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Most surfers know that waves come in sets. The height of the waves differ and the periods between waves differ and the periods between sets can also differ.

This is true both when you are in a big boat in the open ocean or a tender landing on a beach.

I surfed as a kid and later was a serious sailboarder and wind surfer. This experience made me acutely aware of how important it was to choose the right wave.

Not saying folks should ignore pulling the boat up and look for their shoes, just that it sounds like you do not pick your wave, rather you let the wave pick you.
Tom in Fl, what can your surf ramblings possibly have to do with the section of my post you clipped? It's actually a rather childish observation and I'm glad you ate some popcorn after getting it out.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:14   #13

I agree with boatman61 about backing in off an anchor, and with Palarran about going in on the back of a wave rather than surfing on the front.

IIRC I posted a while back (on the other thread referred to in the OP) going into a bit more detail on my thoughts on these and a couple of other ideas.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:13   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
... Then when a wave goes under me, I ride the back side in and on to shore.
This is the way I learned to do it during my years of sea kayaking. Watch the sets, pick a long interval if possible, back padle as a wave passes under, then paddle like crazy following that wave onto shore. Not that I couldn't surf a wave if I wanted, but never onto shore.

Also important to pick a part of the beach with smaller waves, often near an end protected by a point. Had a crew who took the dinghy in while I stayed onboard. I warned him, try a landing over there where the surf is smaller. He didn't listen. He took a rhumb line toward the bar, and wiped out in the large surf. When he came back he apologized for dismissing my advice.

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy